Jun 28, 2010, 11:34 AM
Sane til the lift starts!
^ You could go fly a plane.... that always makes me feel better.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 28, 2010, 03:17 PM
Ahhhh.... there's nothing like the smell of PVA in the morning!

Unfortunately, I'm about to foul up the air with the smell of polyester resin. (mental note: need to buy another gallon of epoxy)
Jun 28, 2010, 04:27 PM
Argghhh.... my can of polyester resin is messed up! After manhandling the thing to unscrew the lid, I saw that the resin is all crystallized inside, with stalactites hanging down from the top. I'm not even going to attempt to use the remaining liquid inside.

Anybody know what causes this, and can it be avoided? The polyester resin was less than a year old, and the can has only been opened a few times.

Alright, I'm off the goody store to get some epoxy, and then work into the evening getting my fuse laid up.
Jun 28, 2010, 05:08 PM
Composites Kid
Polyester resin can cure without the catalyst - through heat. The only thing the MEKP does is create heat.

Other factors may contribute to the curing of the resin - like contaminants.

Sometimes polyester that has crystalized is NOT cured, but rather has just changed form. It can be used when the crystalized stuff is dissolved in pure styrene monomer.

The only advantage of polyester is you can change the cure rate, it's cheap and there's no accurate measuring of components. Apart from that, it sucks.

-Alex
Jun 28, 2010, 06:01 PM
registered weapon
[QUOTE=

The only advantage of polyester is you can change the cure rate, it's cheap and there's no accurate measuring of components. Apart from that, it sucks.

-Alex[/QUOTE]

Alex; seems your kinda "on the fence" about this....lay down on the couch, relax, and tell us how you really feel, and this time don't hold back
Jun 28, 2010, 06:07 PM
I wondered why SEPD hadn't received any posts in the past few days. It's good to see that Scott revived the thread..

-Shawn
Jun 28, 2010, 07:55 PM
Composites Kid
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHAVAWDY View Post
Alex; seems your kinda "on the fence" about this....lay down on the couch, relax, and tell us how you really feel, and this time don't hold back
It smells like cr@p. It's sticky, greenish-purple and looks like alien goo. It can get so hot that it can ruin your project. There's no real way of controlling the horribly exothermic reaction. The catalyst will make you blind if it gets anywhere near your eyes. It's also a very good skin irritant.

Did I say it smells like cr@p? But it's cheap and easy, and that's why I still have half a gallon of it in my basement.

More reasons for loving epoxy
Jun 29, 2010, 10:07 AM
What a weird, foggy, wet, drippy morning. Perfect for reading RCG and sipping my coffee!
Jun 29, 2010, 07:09 PM
Bah. I'm stuck with my study group waiting for a study team member to finish up her part of the paper.

Thank God I have an internet connection!
Jun 29, 2010, 10:34 PM
Torn 'twixt buildin' and flyin
I know that some people are ignorant. Can't be helped. Not everyone can know everything. But if I can admit that, why can't they?!?
Jun 29, 2010, 11:41 PM
Define "interesting..."
We are all ignorant; just about different things.

Kirk (hand held high) out
Jun 29, 2010, 11:46 PM
I'm not ignorant... I just think "differently"....
Jun 29, 2010, 11:48 PM
Oopss. Oh well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNightowl View Post
I know that some people are ignorant. But if I can admit that, why can't they?!?
People are still hopeful they're not - that's why.

BB
Jun 30, 2010, 12:07 AM
Torn 'twixt buildin' and flyin
Quote:
Originally Posted by borneobear View Post
People are still hopeful they're not - that's why.

BB
*sigh* They have an expression for these people. "Always sure, but never right."
Jun 30, 2010, 12:16 AM
I got to work a short while ago, and realized I left my cell phone at home. I rarely get any calls at night, but I still feel naked without it.

Quick Reply