Feb 09, 2012, 09:59 AM
Suspended Account
Look like poofs, but a great song

The Cult - She Sells Sanctuary (music video) HD (4 min 20 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Feb 09, 2012, 07:13 PM
399' and holding
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNightowl
I just haven't been hacking any balsa since I came down here to Texas, and I'm having withdrawals or something.
Someone get him some balsa STAT!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNightowl
(But ya know, that Avanti would be the same way... Looks like it might be a good PSS subject. What if the canard is used as a pitcheron?)
That would be a good question. A PSS plane would be interesting to see. I have seen someone do a powered model of it, and besides the gear, it was pretty close. The only thing I would question would be the wing area. The tip chord is kinda small. On the full size the tip is only 2.03feet.
If you want to work on some scaling numbers...

Span (overall) 46.04 ft. (14033 mm)
Length (overall) 47.27 ft. (14408 mm)
Height (overall) 13.05 ft. (3980 mm)

Forward Wing:
Span (excluding tip fairings) 11.01 ft. (3356 mm)
Root Chord (FWS 0) 2.58 ft. (786 mm)
Tip Chord (FWS 1647) 1.80 ft. (550 mm)
Dihedral -5°

Main Wing:
Inboard Wing Root Chord (WS 0) 5.99 ft. (1826 mm)
Inboard Wing Tip Chord (WS 1825) 5.03 ft. (1533 mm)
Outboard Wing Root Chord (WS 1825) 4.34 ft. (1322 mm)
Outboard Wing Tip Chord (WS 6925) 2.03 ft. (618 mm)
Dihedral +2°00'
Leading Edge Sweep Angle 1°11’24"
Outboard Sweep Angle (15% chord line) 0°

Horizontal Tail:
Span (excluding tip fairings) 13.97 ft. (4259 mm)
Root Chord (BL 0) 3.76 ft. (1145 mm)
Tip Chord (BL 2100) 2.25 ft. (687 mm)
Dihedral -5°
Sweep Angle(25% chord line) +29.8°

Vertical Tail:
Span 7.70 ft. ( 2346 mm)
Root Chord (FS 814) 8.22 ft. (2507 mm)
Tip Chord (FS 3160) 5.01 ft. (1526 mm)
Sweep Angle (25% chord line) 40°

Areas:
Wing (Total) 172.212 sq.ft (just for comparison, a full size Cessna 172 has 174 sq. ft, with a span of 36 feet)
Forward Wing (Exposed) 13.99 sq.ft
Feb 09, 2012, 09:57 PM
Torn 'twixt buildin' and flyin
Quote:
Originally Posted by plane_tech
That would be a good question. A PSS plane would be interesting to see. I have seen someone do a powered model of it, and besides the gear, it was pretty close. The only thing I would question would be the wing area. The tip chord is kinda small. On the full size the tip is only 2.03feet.
Well, I'm not sure I understand your concern, Tech. Wing area is kind of a non-problem, from my point of view. Even if the wing area is small in comparison to the fuselage area, that may make it develop less lift than a plane with a smaller fuselage with an equal wing area, because of the greater drag/smaller lift of the larger fuselage. But even a model of the space shuttle will glide. Sort of. Give the Avanti controls and give it enough airspeed (get it into fast enough winds), and it will have gliding capability. Just a faster sink rate than something more "floaty." And, of course, we modelers almost never replicate the actual airfoils on full-scale aircraft, as they just don't translate well to the much, much smaller areas and lower Reynolds' numbers. But I've seen practially "flat-plate airfoils" on models of quite a few modern jets with VERY short wing spans used. So even there, they depend more on (relative air) speed than pretty much anything else for energy to stay aloft.

Probably won't thermal worth

Oh, I didn't say it, because it goes without saying, but of course, the less relative wing area you have, the lighter you want to try to make the plane, which is another closely correlative factor to sink rate.
Feb 09, 2012, 10:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by plane_tech
That would be a good question. A PSS plane would be interesting to see. I have seen someone do a powered model of it, and besides the gear, it was pretty close. The only thing I would question would be the wing area. The tip chord is kinda small.
(Must.... resist.... urge.... to ... think up... new..... project...... Must..... re......sist!)
Feb 09, 2012, 10:08 PM
It's all fun till Crunch!
You have lost all will power, you will design the perfect slope glide that can thermal like an Oily II, and can break all existing DS records!

Do not RESIST, let your Inner Designer Reign, Do Not Resist, you will be Absorbed!
Feb 09, 2012, 10:14 PM
Luckily for me, Capt., DSing has NEVER really been of interest to me.

(I did write a Science Fiction story a long time ago about discovering an airfoil that had a negative sink rate. ANY forward movement at all generated lift. The hard part was getting the darned things down.)
Feb 09, 2012, 11:28 PM
You can't stop the signal. . .
Yeah, that might be slightly problematic. . .
Feb 09, 2012, 11:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Universe
Yeah, that might be slightly problematic. . .
But it could solve so many other problems!
Feb 10, 2012, 12:53 AM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Spoilers, duh!
Feb 10, 2012, 12:54 AM
lol.. back when I wrote that, I knew very little about airplanes except that airfoils developed lift, lifted more with increased speed, and had never HEARD of spoilers... I was probably all of 12 years old.

I honestly wondered back then if there WASN'T a "negative sink" airfoil.
Feb 10, 2012, 12:55 AM
registered weapon
a transmission w/ reverse option?
Feb 10, 2012, 01:00 AM
Curiously, my "solution" was almost a form of spoilers! They had pop-up fans on the wings, that popped up and blew toward the front, to slow the plane down to a stop!
Feb 10, 2012, 02:13 AM
The original Flying Pigs Sqd.
And while you guys battle it out theoretocally, I am sitting in my car at the field waiting for my flying buddy to do a glide test and then maiden my Nike2...
Feb 10, 2012, 02:30 AM
Suspended Account
So, how'd it go?

Getting real close to flying again now, after more than one and a half years! just need to put a new LiPo in the Tx and off we go to yonder coastal slope down the road, yippee!
Feb 10, 2012, 04:15 AM
Sunday afternoon... Salmon croquettes on a bed of creamed peas and carrots, with parsley mashed potatoes, and a side garden salad. Hope she likes it!

Quick Reply