New Products Flash Sale
Thread Tools
This thread is privately moderated by orange&white, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 11:03 PM
California Condor is online now
Find More Posts by California Condor
Old Timer
California Condor's Avatar
It flies quite well. I have given it a good friend in Arizona. (Phil Pearce)
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 20, 2013, 05:05 AM
WMD is online now
WMD
Find More Posts by WMD
WMD
Registered User
WMD's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincoln View Post
...Henry Struck's Triangle Sportster from 1938 MAN...
Nice one, I like that very much. Do we know the span for this model? I can't work out the right scaling on this one.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 08:03 PM
tri-pacer is offline
Find More Posts by tri-pacer
Registered User
So I was going through my plans the other day when I came across a Gas Bird. I've always liked the design and often thought about building one. I did a quick web search, and came across a fantastic build log for the original 48" version. I converted it to two PDF files, because it's quite large, @117 pages, and have included it here for anyone else interested in this beautiful bird. By the way, the B&W picture at the top of the article, is a 150% size (built many years ago) by fellow club member Don Bekins. He gave it away a few years back in a raffle. I believe it's still flying with an OS .91 open rocker 4 stroke. I never saw it fly. Eut (California Condor) I'm sure you saw it, how'd it fly? He gave me the plans for it, but it's a VERY LARGE bird, to big for my shop!
Last edited by tri-pacer; Feb 20, 2013 at 09:46 PM.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:21 PM View Post
iweuisdgwj
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Excessive Advertising (Spam). Show it to me anyway.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:38 PM
lincoln is offline
Find More Posts by lincoln
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Nice one, I like that very much. Do we know the span for this model? I can't work out the right scaling on this one.
AMA plans list on the web says 17 inches, and that's about what I measure on the plan. The MAN plans I've seen are 8 1/2 X 11 for each sheet.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:16 PM
50+AirYears is offline
Find More Posts by 50+AirYears
Registered User
Hey, channelmast. glad to see you like the Plato design. The wing was originally made from a glue-up of 1/8" balsa sheets to makle a 36" X 36" square. I think recommended power was between .19 to .30. An old Grid Leaks magazine had a small 3 view of a similar model using a Delta wing. Should make a fun ship, either version. Nothing fancy for a conversion to ERC. I'd probably go with elevons, rudder, and throttle today. In fact, both are on my to-do list. Since I think neither version showed a CG, I'd probably make a scale glider from sheet, trim it out for a good glide, and find the relative CG that way. It should transfer directly, at least for a ball park.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 08:02 AM
WMD is online now
WMD
Find More Posts by WMD
WMD
Registered User
WMD's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincoln View Post
AMA plans list on the web says 17 inches, and that's about what I measure on the plan. The MAN plans I've seen are 8 1/2 X 11 for each sheet.
Got it. Thanks.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 11:32 AM
California Condor is online now
Find More Posts by California Condor
Old Timer
California Condor's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by tri-pacer View Post
So I was going through my plans the other day when I came across a Gas Bird. I've always liked the design and often thought about building one. I did a quick web search, and came across a fantastic build log for the original 48" version. I converted it to two PDF files, because it's quite large, @117 pages, and have included it here for anyone else interested in this beautiful bird. By the way, the B&W picture at the top of the article, is a 150% size (built many years ago) by fellow club member Don Bekins. He gave it away a few years back in a raffle. I believe it's still flying with an OS .91 open rocker 4 stroke. I never saw it fly. Eut (California Condor) I'm sure you saw it, how'd it fly? He gave me the plans for it, but it's a VERY LARGE bird, to big for my shop!
It was a very good flyer as I remember.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 02:37 PM
p.balsi is offline
Find More Posts by p.balsi
Registered User

plato plans and article


Quote:
Originally Posted by 50+AirYears View Post
Hey, channelmast. glad to see you like the Plato design. The wing was originally made from a glue-up of 1/8" balsa sheets to makle a 36" X 36" square. I think recommended power was between .19 to .30. An old Grid Leaks magazine had a small 3 view of a similar model using a Delta wing. Should make a fun ship, either version. Nothing fancy for a conversion to ERC. I'd probably go with elevons, rudder, and throttle today. In fact, both are on my to-do list. Since I think neither version showed a CG, I'd probably make a scale glider from sheet, trim it out for a good glide, and find the relative CG that way. It should transfer directly, at least for a ball park.
I was shure to have it!
original published in American Modeler Oct 1960 but it was republished on model builder Apr 1983.
rchopper, pd1; please give us a full size correct rendition!
it's time to build it!
regards Pit
Last edited by p.balsi; Jan 18, 2015 at 01:26 AM.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 03:16 PM
thechannelmast is offline
Find More Posts by thechannelmast
Registered User
thechannelmast's Avatar
hi the plato plans i posted are to scale just print and go build . im sorry at the lack of details im little new at reposting plans i add tiled letter plans back on the other post
Last edited by thechannelmast; Feb 21, 2013 at 03:30 PM.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 03:57 PM
hogal is offline
Find More Posts by hogal
Registered User
hogal's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by thechannelmast View Post
hi the plato plans i posted are to scale just print and go build . im sorry at the lack of details im little new at reposting plans i add tiled letter plans back on the other post
Using the scale on page 1 of the plan and the measurement tool in Adobe I reckon the wing is made from 4" sheets and so the span would be 30"

Al
Old Feb 22, 2013, 07:42 AM
Circlip is offline
Find More Posts by Circlip
Registered User
Second column, 3/5ths down, "The wing a 30" disc of 1/8" Balsa - - - - "

Regards Ian.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 07:13 PM
Old_Pilot is offline
Find More Posts by Old_Pilot
Ad eos qui nesciunt crepitus
Old_Pilot's Avatar

MAN plans catalog and tissue


Gentlemen,

Among all those rescued plans I had was a copy of the January 1994 MAN plans catalog. It's just pic's and descriptions (and a little history) of the aircraft plans that are offered. There's a vintage section too.

I'll be happy to scan and post it if anyone is interested....may jog a memory of a plane or set of plans ......

Also, for all of us tissue guys, I've discovered what I think is a superior substitute for tissue.....Us old engineers, designers, and draftsmen called it onion skin. It weighs in at ~0.08 oz/ft2, comes in a 12" x 50' roll, cost about $6, shrinks well, takes both dope and paint well, and it appears to be 5 times stronger than tissue.
( I did a tear test of 1/2" wide strips......the tissue failed at 2 oz, the onion skin at 10)

See attached .jpg.....they don't call it onion skin anymore !

Calm winds

O_P
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 32" combat
Old Feb 22, 2013, 07:27 PM
cpmcgraw is offline
Find More Posts by cpmcgraw
Experienced Balsa Mangler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Pilot View Post
...Also, for all of us tissue guys, I've discovered what I think is a superior substitute for tissue.....Us old engineers, designers, and draftsmen called it onion skin. It weighs in at ~0.08 oz/ft2, comes in a 12" x 50' roll, cost about $6, shrinks well, takes both dope and paint well, and it appears to be 5 times stronger than tissue.
( I did a tear test of 1/2" wide strips......the tissue failed at 2 oz, the onion skin at 10)...
Funny you should mention this stuff...

I think it's what I'm using as a plan protector. See Photo 1...
Old Feb 23, 2013, 12:36 AM
TheNightowl is offline
Find More Posts by TheNightowl
Torn 'twixt buildin' and flyin
TheNightowl's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Pilot View Post
It weighs in at ~0.08 oz/ft2, comes in a 12" x 50' roll, cost about $6,
O_P
Where do you find it?

Nightowl


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Best source for Vintage/Old Timer plans? river-studio Vintage & Old-Timer Designs 22 Sep 18, 2016 03:22 PM
Gallery Vintage & Old-Timer Plans built gallery orange&white Vintage & Old-Timer Designs 494 Nov 22, 2015 11:48 PM
For Sale Old timer Sal Taibi plans Biper/Piper Aircraft - Fuel - Airplanes (FS/W) 2 Aug 15, 2011 10:30 AM