New Products Flash Sale
Thread Tools
This thread is privately moderated by orange&white, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 06:12 AM
WMD is online now
WMD
Find More Posts by WMD
WMD
Registered User
WMD's Avatar
Just a quick note on CAD files. If you don't like them, then ignore this post.

If you are hunting for CAD versions (by which I mean DWG format) of plans on Outerzone, there is a page that lists them all out and links to them - http://www.outerzone.co.uk/advanced/...t_cad_file.asp - all bar one of these I think is by hogal. The list will get longer over time as I upload more of them, thanks to hogal's kind generosity.

It is clear that hogal has spent an enormous amount of time restoring and posting vintage plans both here, and on Outerzone. A search on Outerzone for plans with credit to hogal shows a total of 152 plans. But... not only has he done all that work, he has now also gone the extra mile and is making all of his posted vintage plans available in 3 different formats, including an original scan - in order to keep everybody happy.

I frankly cannot understand why there is any discussion about this. Unless it takes the form of a torrent of gratitude.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2013, 06:21 AM
Old_Pilot is offline
Find More Posts by Old_Pilot
Ad eos qui nesciunt crepitus
Old_Pilot's Avatar

Posting Plans


Here here !
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 17, 2013, 06:39 AM
Sundancer is online now
Find More Posts by Sundancer
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
Sundancer's Avatar
Couldn't agree more, Hogal's work and contribution to this thread is outstanding. I don't use CAD myself, but think that having the alternative versions available can only be a really good and positive thing in encouraging more building. And we should also remember that very many of the old plans, whilst full of "character" have inaccuracies in them, sometimes gross inaccuracies, either as originally drafted or due to the problems of copying over the years. I don't mind this, as I always carry out a series of checks before cutting wood, but it can be annoying.

Keep up the good work Al and Steve!
Old Jan 17, 2013, 07:19 AM
Colonel Blink is online now
Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
So I'M meant to be in control?
Colonel Blink's Avatar
I too am in support of the CAD work done by Hogal. Although I haven't used any, my perception is that the original plan is a lovely thing and has much more character and attraction than the relatively sterile CAD version. But when it comes to building, I think I'd prefer to work from the CAD version where the straight lines are straight, and the wing panels etc are identical......
Old Jan 17, 2013, 08:10 AM
Old_Pilot is offline
Find More Posts by Old_Pilot
Ad eos qui nesciunt crepitus
Old_Pilot's Avatar

The Swallow


All,

I'm going to try to build The Swallow, a 1940's 60" flying wing. After reviewing the plans, I noticed a "10 degree tip washout" reference......

My question is....is the washout accomplished by warping the wing (how ?), or by just building the trailing edge of the tip to "fake" the reduced angle of attack ?.......see plans.

I'm hoping for the latter.

One more thing......anyone know where the CG should be ?

Calm winds

O_P
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 17, 2013, 08:40 AM
Edubarca is offline
Find More Posts by Edubarca
Edubarca
Edubarca's Avatar
As long as plans are available both in CAD and the original scan, everything's fine, that's my opinion.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:16 AM
rick.benjamin is offline
Find More Posts by rick.benjamin
Reduce the drama...
rick.benjamin's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Pilot View Post
All,

I'm going to try to build The Swallow, a 1940's 60" flying wing. After reviewing the plans, I noticed a "10 degree tip washout" reference......

My question is....is the washout accomplished by warping the wing (how ?), or by just building the trailing edge of the tip to "fake" the reduced angle of attack ?.......see plans.

I'm hoping for the latter.

One more thing......anyone know where the CG should be ?

Calm winds

O_P
http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=1801
Aeromodeller July 1947
I don't see any cg on the plan.
Text says balance for flat glide.
Says washout by steaming.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:39 AM
Old_Pilot is offline
Find More Posts by Old_Pilot
Ad eos qui nesciunt crepitus
Old_Pilot's Avatar

Swallow Wing


Quote:
Originally Posted by rick.benjamin View Post
http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=1801
Aeromodeller July 1947
I don't see any cg on the plan.
Text says balance for flat glide.
Says washout by steaming.


That's going to be a challenge.......Probably have to rename the bird "Corkscrew" after I get done......maybe the answer is to cover her in Monokote......but that would be a sellout
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 17, 2013, 11:06 AM
California Condor is online now
Find More Posts by California Condor
Old Timer
California Condor's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincoln View Post
-
-Indoor Commercial Kit No.4 Lesson No. 4 Primary Model Airplane Cours Joe Ott
18 inch span as printed in April 1996 Airflow newsletter
.
My parents gave me the 4 step model airplane course for my birthday, 1938/9. The "Commercial" shown here is the same, but I am sure they were not Joe Ott kits. I'll try to locate my plan, I believe I still have it.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 11:34 AM
1967250s is offline
Find More Posts by 1967250s
Registered User
1967250s's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Pilot View Post
All,

I'm going to try to build The Swallow, a 1940's 60" flying wing. After reviewing the plans, I noticed a "10 degree tip washout" reference......

My question is....is the washout accomplished by warping the wing (how ?), or by just building the trailing edge of the tip to "fake" the reduced angle of attack ?.......see plans.

I'm hoping for the latter.

One more thing......anyone know where the CG should be ?

Calm winds

O_P
See where the tow hooks are? I'd start about an inch back from there. Lots of good info on flying wings forums here, sorry, don't have exact thread, just do a search. Also, 10 degree wasout seems a lot, but building it in by raising trailing edge at tips is best, double check angles!
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:52 PM
hogal is offline
Find More Posts by hogal
Registered User
hogal's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Pilot View Post
All,

I'm going to try to build The Swallow, a 1940's 60" flying wing. After reviewing the plans, I noticed a "10 degree tip washout" reference......

My question is....is the washout accomplished by warping the wing (how ?), or by just building the trailing edge of the tip to "fake" the reduced angle of attack ?.......see plans.

O_P
O/P

I would tackle it by building in the washout during construction. A tapering building jig from 0" at the centre line to the requisite 10 at the tip. Now at the tip the chord is about 4" so I make the amount of washout required to be about 0.7"; the article talks about 1" blocks which is substantially more. The washout is incorporated to prevent tip stalling so, although it all seems rather academic, I would then tend towards the higher figure. The most important thing, however, is to ensure an equal amount is built into both wings, you can then adjust the elevons for best performance.

Al
Old Jan 17, 2013, 03:01 PM
aeronca52 is offline
Find More Posts by aeronca52
Culper Junior
I'd follow hogal's advice.

Although the structure is light enough to allow steaming, why go through the hassle when you can simply build in the washout and keep both tips more uniform.

Steaming also might run the risk of wrinkled tissue on the top where it is most noticed.

Just my 2 cents
Old Jan 17, 2013, 04:36 PM
Sundancer is online now
Find More Posts by Sundancer
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
Sundancer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogal View Post
O/P

I would tackle it by building in the washout during construction. A tapering building jig from 0" at the centre line to the requisite 10 at the tip. Now at the tip the chord is about 4" so I make the amount of washout required to be about 0.7"; the article talks about 1" blocks which is substantially more. The washout is incorporated to prevent tip stalling so, although it all seems rather academic, I would then tend towards the higher figure. The most important thing, however, is to ensure an equal amount is built into both wings, you can then adjust the elevons for best performance.

Al
Sorry to disagree Al, but this being a tailless model the washout is not there to prevent tip stalling, it is there so that the model will have enough stability to fly! In other words, the washed-out wing tips are acting like a very short moment, high negative angle tailplane. As you say, it is important to get both wings equal and then fine pitch trim adjustments can be made by the adjustable elevons.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 05:10 PM
starcad is offline
Find More Posts by starcad
AMA 667982 KG7NKY
starcad's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Just a quick note on CAD files. If you don't like them, then ignore this post.

If you are hunting for CAD versions (by which I mean DWG format) of plans on Outerzone, there is a page that lists them all out and links to them - http://www.outerzone.co.uk/advanced/...t_cad_file.asp - all bar one of these I think is by hogal. The list will get longer over time as I upload more of them, thanks to hogal's kind generosity.

It is clear that hogal has spent an enormous amount of time restoring and posting vintage plans both here, and on Outerzone. A search on Outerzone for plans with credit to hogal shows a total of 152 plans. But... not only has he done all that work, he has now also gone the extra mile and is making all of his posted vintage plans available in 3 different formats, including an original scan - in order to keep everybody happy.

I frankly cannot understand why there is any discussion about this. Unless it takes the form of a torrent of gratitude.
I also have a few in CAD format at www.starcadplans.net Just go to the CAD catagory.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 09:26 PM
giuseppi is online now
Find More Posts by giuseppi
CV-15 VB-16
giuseppi's Avatar
...-Indoor Commercial Kit No.4 Lesson No. 4 Primary Model Airplane Cours Joe Ott 18 inch span as printed in April 1996 Airflow newsletter

Sorry about the zip files for the indoor commercial, but when I shrink the plan with the software I have, it gets a lot coarser. So the same apology applies to the ridiculous size. One of these days I'll have to get the right software.[/QUOTE]


Cleaned up the Indoor Commercial from lincoln's earlier post and created a PDF.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Best source for Vintage/Old Timer plans? river-studio Vintage & Old-Timer Designs 22 Sep 18, 2016 03:22 PM
Gallery Vintage & Old-Timer Plans built gallery orange&white Vintage & Old-Timer Designs 494 Nov 22, 2015 11:48 PM
For Sale Old timer Sal Taibi plans Biper/Piper Aircraft - Fuel - Airplanes (FS/W) 2 Aug 15, 2011 10:30 AM