Vintage & Old-Timer Plans PRE 1960 PLANS ONLY - Page 99 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Thread Tools
This thread is privately moderated by orange&white, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
May 22, 2012, 01:02 PM
Registered User

Model Airplane Course for Beginners Lesson 3 MAN July 1947


Lesson 3 scanned and compiled into a single file. In a few days, I will have the
Aug 1947 MAN with lesson 4 and the Nov 1947 issue which may have a lesson 7. There is no beginners lesson in the Dec 1947 MAN.

Bill
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
May 22, 2012, 08:04 PM
Registered User
Bargle's Avatar
Thanks, Bill. It'll be great to have all of them.
May 22, 2012, 08:40 PM
CV-15 VB-16
giuseppi's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bargle
Thanks, Bill. It'll be great to have all of them.
+1

g
May 22, 2012, 09:57 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bargle
Thanks, Bill. It'll be great to have all of them.
+ 2 stephen
May 22, 2012, 11:49 PM
Registered User

Ercoupe by Morris Mountjoy MAN Sep 1947


Nice C/L Ercoupe for "Class A" motors (probably .15 to .19). Could be converted to EP RC. Span is 34 3/8".
Last edited by wtool; May 23, 2012 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Adding patterns for plan.
May 23, 2012, 03:58 AM
WMD
WMD
Womble of Model Depiction
WMD's Avatar
Nice work wtool. Good to see a plan on this thread. And that's a sweet one.
May 23, 2012, 06:10 AM
Registered User
bmutlugil's Avatar
Nice Ercoupe plan, but is Plate 2 missing?

Bulent
Last edited by bmutlugil; May 23, 2012 at 08:11 AM.
May 23, 2012, 07:51 AM
Registered User
Ratracer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmutlugil
Nice Ercopue plan, but is Plate 2 missing?

Bulent
It sure looks like there should be a plate 2.
with maybe a missing fuselage bulkhead or two on it.
Last edited by Ratracer; May 23, 2012 at 08:03 AM.
May 23, 2012, 01:39 PM
Registered User

Ercoupe by Mountjoy Patterns


Oops! Thanks for bringing the missing patterns to my attention. I have edited my previous posting and added the patterns.
May 23, 2012, 01:46 PM
Registered User
Ratracer's Avatar

Again Thank You


Quote:
Originally Posted by wtool
Oops! Thanks for bringing the missing patterns to my attention. I have edited my previous posting and added the patterns.
Thats a fine l@@king vintage plan.
May 23, 2012, 03:20 PM
Oldrndrt RCav8r
georgewaldrop's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bargle
Thanks, Bill. It'll be great to have all of them.
+ 3 George
May 23, 2012, 04:44 PM
UP ELEVATOR!!!! OOPS
dhsmith1's Avatar

Ercoupe


full plan
Last edited by dhsmith1; May 24, 2012 at 02:18 PM.
May 23, 2012, 09:20 PM
Registered User

Twin Boom - Air Trails Dec 1943


Gas powered 96" span FF. The article specifies the Goldberg Zipper and Grant X-8 airfoils. I have included these airfoils taken from other plans. They are not drawn to scale.
May 24, 2012, 10:44 AM
Pure rubber

Freeflight rubber duration plans


I was delighted to find several of the above on this Radio Control website. Maybe many of you flew rubber years ago?

There is one plan that I would very much like to have. It is the Thermal Bug, a 30 inch span lightweight from around 1950. Does anyone have one tucked away somewhere?

Best wishes to all from over the pond!
May 24, 2012, 12:26 PM
CV-15 VB-16
giuseppi's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure rubber
I was delighted to find several of the above on this Radio Control website. Maybe many of you flew rubber years ago?

There is one plan that I would very much like to have. It is the Thermal Bug, a 30 inch span lightweight from around 1950. Does anyone have one tucked away somewhere?

Best wishes to all from over the pond!
Is this it?

Here's a link to the website that has the plans. Thought it best to give credit where its due : http://www.google.com/url?q=http://t...z4usMEZnw0eWLQ
Last edited by giuseppi; May 24, 2012 at 01:01 PM. Reason: Link
May 24, 2012, 12:38 PM
Registered User

70" Sandy Hogan Berkeley Plan


Does anyone have the formers/ribs for this version?
The smaller San De Hogan--55" plan--has them.
Ron in TX
May 24, 2012, 03:00 PM
Registered User

Gnat by Claude McCullough MAN Oct 1947


Nice FF by Claude McCullough 39 1/2 inch span. Note that the airfoil cross section in the middle of the plan was kept at "full size" though the rest of the plan was scaled up.
May 24, 2012, 04:38 PM
Registered User

The Dual-Air by Frank Ehling MAN Oct 1947


Another Frank Ehling design, twin CO2 power, 44" span. Could be converted to EP RC.
May 24, 2012, 06:54 PM
Registered User

Cabin Gull Wing MAN Mar 1947


Rubber power, 23" span. Article contains interesting instructions for building the gull wing.
May 25, 2012, 12:51 PM
Pure rubber

To Guiseppe


Now that is some service old boy! Many many thanks!

Hope that I might be able to return the favour.

John Pure Rubber
Last edited by Pure rubber; May 25, 2012 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Spelling mistakes
May 25, 2012, 02:59 PM
Registered User

All American ukies?


Hi, folks -
Just wondering if anyone might have plans for the Dmeco All American series - specifically the 36" and 51" Senior? I've searched the thread to no avail.
Thanks!
May 26, 2012, 09:19 PM
Registered User

Lessons 4 & 7 Model Airplane Course for Beginners plus article on Prop Carving


Lesson 4 Model Airplane Course for Beginners MAN Aug 1947
Lesson 7 Model Airplane Course for Beginners MAN Nov 1947
Prop Carving MAN Nov 1947.

Lesson 7 was the last in the series. Hope you enjoy the articles.

Bill
May 27, 2012, 01:06 AM
Registered User
hogal's Avatar

Ursa and Twizzler


Well after a long week in Northern Ireland (work and the North West 200) I now present this weeks offerings. Both the Ursa and Twizzler are from the October 1951 Aeromodeller.

The Ursa is a glider with swept back wings and T-tail mounting. In its day it had some contest success so it should be an interesting build. You don't see many of them floating around today, it's a shame. She looks quite pretty but a bit broad of beam, maybe there is an Ursa Minor lurking in there somewhere. It was designed by D.C. Smith.

The Twizzler, on the other hand, is an out-an-out contest model. Designed by Dick Twomey it is a 28" competition model designed for the Jetex 200. It is claimed to have a vertical climb - I bet it went up like an express lift (elevator for those in the Americas). It's a shame we don't still have these motors around, maybe the Rapier's will return!

As always the original colour prints are available (private mail me if you would like them) and if you choose to build from the plans proceed with caution, alway measure well before cutting.

Enjoy them

Al
May 27, 2012, 02:26 AM
Registered User
perttime's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by keeferm
Dmeco All American series
There's a couple of All Americans at:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=3862
... perhaps not the exact ones you are looking for, though.
May 27, 2012, 02:37 AM
Registered User
Thank you, wtool for the articles and you hogal for more great plans Again thank you both. Stephen
May 27, 2012, 02:53 AM
Oldrndrt RCav8r
georgewaldrop's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtool
Lesson 4 Model Airplane Course for Beginners MAN Aug 1947
Lesson 7 Model Airplane Course for Beginners MAN Nov 1947
Prop Carving MAN Nov 1947.

Lesson 7 was the last in the series. Hope you enjoy the articles.

Bill
Thanks for those Bill!
May 27, 2012, 08:30 AM
Registered User
Bargle's Avatar
Seconded!
May 27, 2012, 09:54 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by perttime
There's a couple of All Americans at:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=3862
... perhaps not the exact ones you are looking for, though.
Thanks, perttime - That page has the half-A version. I'm hoping to find the 36" and 51" models.
May 28, 2012, 10:02 AM
Registered User
[QUOTE=wtool;21721447]Lesson 4 Model Airplane Course for Beginners MAN Aug 1947
Lesson 7 Model Airplane Course for Beginners MAN Nov 1947
Prop Carving MAN Nov 1947.



IIRC, MAN ran another series in the very late 50's/early 60's called 5 Giant Steps by Peter Chinn. I think 2 gliders, 2 rubber models and an .020 F/F sort of F-86 Sabre looking. I think was repeated in one of the MAN Annuals they did back then. Anybody have any info?
May 28, 2012, 04:36 PM
Edubarca
Edubarca's Avatar
I have both the article and full size plans for the 5 Giant Steps. Give me a few days and I will get them scanned and post them here.
May 28, 2012, 10:03 PM
CV-15 VB-16
giuseppi's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edubarca
I have both the article and full size plans for the 5 Giant Steps. Give me a few days and I will get them scanned and post them here.
AWESOME!

g
May 29, 2012, 01:31 PM
Am I a Registered user?
Eratix 3D's Avatar
How about a Jabberwock?
May 29, 2012, 02:08 PM
Reduce the drama...
rick.benjamin's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eratix 3D
How about a Jabberwock?
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...1003368&page=3
May 29, 2012, 02:18 PM
CV-15 VB-16
giuseppi's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eratix 3D
How about a Jabberwock?
Found some plans here: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...3&postcount=36

g
May 29, 2012, 03:39 PM
Am I a Registered user?
Eratix 3D's Avatar
Oh yeah, I forgot Randy had some, AKA Pilatus PC 12, He flies at my field.
May 29, 2012, 10:24 PM
CV-15 VB-16
giuseppi's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eratix 3D
Oh yeah, I forgot Randy had some, AKA Pilatus PC 12, He flies at my field.
You're welcome,

g
May 30, 2012, 09:36 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by giuseppi
Thanks for the Jabberwock, My father built one of these I would guess 1963, I was about 11 years old. We flew it at SEPULVEDA BASIN in Los Angles, flew great. In fact one flight after a long flight landed perfectly on the RC runway. We used an old manual drill to wind the motor.
May 31, 2012, 01:52 AM
Registered User
Does anyone have the plan for CALIFORNIA CHIEF de Aircraft Industries. USA.1936?

Jun 01, 2012, 09:15 AM
Registered User

Plan Request: Yellow Kid?


Hello.

My friend is looking for a " Yellow Kid"? It may be titled as " Little Kid"? It was an aicraft he built years ago and would like to build another. Any clue?
Thank you
Jun 01, 2012, 09:38 AM
Edubarca
Edubarca's Avatar
Good news!! I will be posting "Five Giant Steps" perhaps tonight. I scanned yesterday for USD$4.00!!!! I am cleaning it and then I will post it here together with the magazine article.
PLEASE NOTE: This design goes back to 1961 so it is one year after the limit imposed here for posting plans, but I think there is no copyright infringement.
Jun 01, 2012, 09:42 AM
Registered User
DeeBee1's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by inspec25
Hello.

My friend is looking for a " Yellow Kid"? It may be titled as " Little Kid"? It was an aicraft he built years ago and would like to build another. Any clue?
Thank you
The plan is here, post #5946.
Last edited by DeeBee1; Jun 01, 2012 at 09:55 AM. Reason: Added picture.
Jun 01, 2012, 10:19 AM
CV-15 VB-16
giuseppi's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by inspec25
Hello.

My friend is looking for a " Yellow Kid"? It may be titled as " Little Kid"? It was an aicraft he built years ago and would like to build another. Any clue?
Thank you

Is this it?

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...2&d=1316411878

g
Jun 01, 2012, 10:31 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
Sundancer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by inspec25
Hello.

My friend is looking for a " Yellow Kid"? It may be titled as " Little Kid"? It was an aicraft he built years ago and would like to build another. Any clue?
Thank you
Easily found by using Vinplandex in post #1 of this thread. It is in Post 5946, page 397 of this thread.
Jun 01, 2012, 10:59 AM
Registered User
DeeBee1's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by giuseppi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer
Easily found by using Vinplandex in post #1 of this thread. It is in Post 5946, page 397 of this thread.
...well at least my version of the reply came with a picture
Jun 01, 2012, 04:59 PM
CV-15 VB-16
giuseppi's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeBee1
...well at least my version of the reply came with a picture
I didn't notice your post 'til after I did mine so I just left it. And your adding the picture was a nice touch.

g
Jun 01, 2012, 08:10 PM
Edubarca
Edubarca's Avatar
I couldn't upload Five Giant Steps. It appeared black!!! Why? I don't know, anybody can help?
Jun 01, 2012, 10:09 PM
Registered User
If the posted plan doesn't work, the Yellow Kid plan is still available from Model Airplane News Air Age Plans as plan X10811 for $14.95.
Jun 02, 2012, 12:47 AM
Registered User
hogal's Avatar

Junior Miss and SE 5A


From the October 1951 Aeromodeller here are the Junior Miss and the SE 5A.

The Junior Miss is a lightweight rubber model designed by Vic Smeed. Having come from the pen of one of the all time greats the design is guaranteed to be good and work well. You only have to read the preamble to see that the original was capable of some good flights.

The SE 5A was a free plan in the magazine and designed by Ray Booth. It was designed around the Kalper and had a 'massive' span of 16.3/4". The original plane had ideal proportions for a flying scale model and I have no doubt this little beauty would give many hours of pleasure.

As always please be careful if you decide to use my tracings and if you would like my original colour copies please e-mail me. Most of all enjoy.
Jun 02, 2012, 01:57 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by pd1
Grumman G44 Widgeon
A Plan for this was posted earlier, while it is a beautiful revamp, it does not open full sized.

I included it in this posting and the original from 1942 Air Trails
This is from about a year and a half ago...in fact I just looked and it's EXACTLY a year and a half to the day. Post #1509.

The two plans are a cleaned up original Plecan plan from Air Trails 1942, the other identifies itself as having been based on the Plecan plan but redrawn/re-designed (and "DWG" whatever that is) in 1997. I'd downloaded the "redrawn/re-designed" plan from the Outerzone resource (but same plan). It's identified as 1/12 scale (1"=1') so should have a 40" span. Had this printed this morning thinking I'd get going on it and maybe have a "floater" ready for late summer fun. Had to scale it up, used the 1-1/2 inch dihedral dimension to confirm a correct scale factor and hit it spot-on (if memory serves, 227%)

Giving the plans a serious going over this evening I find that the two wing panels shown are very different from each other. I had thought it was giving me a right and left panel to build off of but investigation shows one (with all the ribs called out, etc) measures out at 20" to give the correct 40" span. The other wing panel is about 22-1/2" and doesn't call out much of the detail, parts location. What is REALLY problematic is that the ribs, tip, etc, all measure out to fit the "too big" wing.

Anyone seen this or have a reasonable solution? This is a perfect size for me so I'm really hoping to resolve this.

btw, the fuselage appears to match up with the "correctly" scaled wing.

Thanks in advance,

Scottrik
Jun 02, 2012, 02:07 AM
Registered User
In the mid-late 1970's I built a thermal duration glider (complete with DT fuse, etc) from plans. It was called the Quickee 2 (or Quickie 2, or....?) and I'd like to revisit that build. It flew quite well, especially for a first-time plans builder...I was ecstatic.

Has anyone seen a plan for this or, better yet, have one? I have no idea whether the plan is pre- or post-1960, if post-1960 please hit me up off-line.

Many thanks!

Scottrik
Jun 02, 2012, 04:39 AM
WMD
WMD
Womble of Model Depiction
WMD's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOISY MUSE
Giving the plans a serious going over this evening I find that the two wing panels shown are very different from each other. I had thought it was giving me a right and left panel to build off of but investigation shows one (with all the ribs called out, etc) measures out at 20" to give the correct 40" span. The other wing panel is about 22-1/2" and doesn't call out much of the detail, parts location. What is REALLY problematic is that the ribs, tip, etc, all measure out to fit the "too big" wing...
Hi Scottrik,

Just had a look. You're right, that plan http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=308 seems highly unreliable. The wing panels are certainly scaled differently to each other, and I can't get either of them to fit correctly against the rib shown in the fuse side view. I recommend you simply ignore that version of the plan and refer to the alternative (more original) copy of the Plecan Widgeon plan at ID=653 ie here http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=653 - that's the one done by pd1.

Steve
Jun 02, 2012, 05:11 AM
Registered User
DeeBee1's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by giuseppi
I didn't notice your post 'til after I did mine so I just left it. And your adding the picture was a nice touch.

g
guissepi - I was only joking, thanks for the reply. Have a good weekend
Jun 02, 2012, 07:54 AM
pd1
pd1
Registered User

G 44 Widgeon redone


Scottrik
I redrew the Widgeon. The scan here is from an original plan not a magazine, so it should be a little more accurate. I added the missing wing and fuselage half.

Sometimes when working with the magazines, sections get scanned at different DPI. This can create scaling errors later. I suspect this could have happened on the other plan.

Sometimes when scanning, the paper doesn't always lay perfectly flat and small errors also creep in. Hopefully this one should be close. The wingspan is 40 inches.

If you need a larger printout, pm me your e mail address and I'll rescale it for you.

Paul
Last edited by pd1; Jun 03, 2012 at 09:15 AM.
Jun 02, 2012, 01:39 PM
Registered User
Guys,

Thank you, thats the plans he was looking for. I keep forgeting about the idex! sorry!
Jun 02, 2012, 02:43 PM
Registered User
Scottrick - assume you mean Ray Monks' "Quickie" A/2 Aeromodeller March 1952.

Good airplane, builds fast, flys very well
Jun 02, 2012, 06:35 PM
Reduce the drama...
rick.benjamin's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOISY MUSE
In the mid-late 1970's I built a thermal duration glider (complete with DT fuse, etc) from plans. It was called the Quickee 2 (or Quickie A2, or....?) and I'd like to revisit that build. It flew quite well, especially for a first-time plans builder...I was ecstatic.
Has anyone seen a plan for this or, better yet, have one? I have no idea whether the plan is pre- or post-1960, if post-1960 please hit me up off-line.
Many thanks!
Scottrik
Scott
Algy2 posted it on 5 Sept 2011
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=5741
Jun 03, 2012, 02:03 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD
Hi Scottrik,

Just had a look. You're right, that plan http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=308 seems highly unreliable. The wing panels are certainly scaled differently to each other, and I can't get either of them to fit correctly against the rib shown in the fuse side view. I recommend you simply ignore that version of the plan and refer to the alternative (more original) copy of the Plecan Widgeon plan at ID=653 ie here http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=653 - that's the one done by pd1.

Steve
Roger that--thanks Steve. At least I know it's not just "me"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pd1
Scottrik
I redrew the Widgeon. The scan here is from an original plan not a magazine, so it should be a little more accurate. I added the missing wing and fuselage half.

Sometimes when working with the magazines, sections get scanned at different DPI. This can create scaling errors later. I suspect this could have happened on the other plan.

Sometimes when scanning, the paper doesn't always lay perfectly flat and small errors also creep in. Hopefully this one should be close. The wingspan is 40 inches.

If you need a larger printout, pm me your e mail address and I'll rescale it for you.

Paul
Many thanks Paul. I'll take this one in and get it printed. See where we're at when we've got it on paper and on the table.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applehoney
Scottrick - assume you mean Ray Monks' "Quickie" A/2 Aeromodeller March 1952.

Good airplane, builds fast, flys very well
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick.benjamin
Scott
Algy2 posted it on 5 Sept 2011
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=5741
Sorry guys--that's not the one. I'd seen it before and hope sprang up...but no joy. Thanks much though. Easy to see where "Quickie A2" (A2 referring to a competition class) could be mistaken (in either direction) for Quickie 2 (by which I assume "2" refers to a second generation or some such).

The glider I built ...having to think back 35 or more years now and THAT is suspect at best...had a balsa-sheeted wing. If I recall it was thin sheet curved over ribs and a spar with steam, hope, and good ol' Testors Wood Glue in the green tube.
Jun 03, 2012, 07:59 AM
sambino

G44 Widgeon


Paul;
There is a problem with the drawing in that the X and Y coordinates are scaled differently. The wheel is a good reference... it measures about 1.9" across and 2.125 high.
Sam
Jun 03, 2012, 09:00 AM
pd1
pd1
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by yosemitealoha
Paul;
There is a problem with the drawing in that the X and Y coordinates are scaled differently. The wheel is a good reference... it measures about 1.9" across and 2.125 high.
Sam
I just checked the original scan. This is what I got for measurements:
Wheel Vertical 2.135
Horizontal 2.125
0.01 difference with Photoshop.

I then checked the wing /fuselage saddle to the chord of the wing from the wing plan.

Fuse plan measures 7.251
Wing plan root 7.309
difference of 0.058
A little less than 1/16 of an inch.

I also over layed rib 1 and rib 8 from the rib drawings onto the wing plan form and they fit length wise and spar spacing.
Tolerance within the drawn lines .

The plan is quite old and not in good condition, there could have been wrinkles or shrinkage to vary the drawings over all these years.
It looks like the plan is still build able.

I took these off the original scan, I think when I made the file smaller my computer shrunk the plan incorrectly.
I'll go back and see if I can get the file small enough to post without distortion..

ERROR FOUND

I redid the file and it now is correct.

Thanks for pointing the error out.

Paul
Last edited by pd1; Jun 03, 2012 at 09:17 AM.
Jun 06, 2012, 03:50 AM
Registered User
Teals1's Avatar

Smoky


This Paul Plecan plan is from a very old (1947) Bill Winter's Plan book I have. Thought some may be interested in this old design. Has an interesting 'stepped' dihedral, something I haven't seen before.
Jun 06, 2012, 03:58 AM
Registered User
Modelholic's Avatar
Whilst on the Smokey theme.
Jun 06, 2012, 05:18 AM
Registered User
Teals1's Avatar

Thanks


Brilliant Modelholic. You must have the same book I do!!
Jun 06, 2012, 04:46 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by pd1
IERROR FOUND[/B]
I redid the file and it now is correct.

Thanks for pointing the error out.

Paul
ARGH!!!!

I wish I'd seen this BEFORE I went and got the first "revised" plan printed. Got the wings the same size, and printing at 113% made the plan a 40" span per specification. There is definitely an X-Y scaling problem. My measurements on the plan show the wheel at 2-1/8" in the X and 2-3/8" in the Y. Then I chose a wing rib at random (W-4 as it turned out) and measured it on the wing plan (which shows the ribs parallel to the Y-axis) AND the rib pattern itself (which shows the rib parallel to the X-axis). The scaling error was pretty much identical with (from memory) the X-axis at 5-1/4" and the Y-axis at 5-7/8". The error is pretty much 1/8" for every linear inch, or twelve and a half percent.

At least I THINK I had downloaded the earlier revision.

Paul, could you do me an ENORMOUS favor and e-mail me the most recent update to noisymuse@gmail.com . Many many thanks--as I'd indicated this size is EXACTLY what I was looking for for a Widgeon (I've got two significantly larger plans) so I'd like to go with this one.

**EDIT** Never mind Paul...I found and downloaded the most recent version. Just measuring it up on the monitor it looks like our X-Y problem is gone. Off to the printer...again. As they say, third time's a charm Thanks--SS

Many thanks,

Scottrik
Last edited by NOISY MUSE; Jun 06, 2012 at 04:57 PM.
Jun 07, 2012, 02:42 PM
WMD
WMD
Womble of Model Depiction
WMD's Avatar
Does anyone have any more (vintage) plans for the Piper PA-18 Super Cub? Have looked back through the index, and there are about twenty J3 cubs, but only the one PA-18 plan ...posted by Edubarca back here https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=2123 and that's nice, but that one somehow hasn't got me excited enough to start clearing the bench. The PA-18 came out in um 1949 I think, so there must be more plans out there..?
Jun 07, 2012, 03:53 PM
UP ELEVATOR!!!! OOPS
dhsmith1's Avatar

Pa-18


OK, Web police got me.
Did not know these plans are being sold.
Last edited by dhsmith1; Jun 07, 2012 at 05:59 PM.
Jun 07, 2012, 04:10 PM
Edubarca
Edubarca's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD
Does anyone have any more (vintage) plans for the Piper PA-18 Super Cub? Have looked back through the index, and there are about twenty J3 cubs, but only the one PA-18 plan ...posted by Edubarca back here https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=2123 and that's nice, but that one somehow hasn't got me excited enough to start clearing the bench. The PA-18 came out in um 1949 I think, so there must be more plans out there..?
The Piper Super Cub posted by me some time ago, is an excellent model. It flies beautifully and is rather accurate. However, I agree with you. There has to be more plans for this classic airplane out there. Check the Guillow kit for the Piper Super Cub 95. It is extremely accurate and also flies very well although limited due to high weight. It can be enlarged with Photoshop or similar hardware, lighten the structure and build for RC. It will fly beautifully. If you want a copy of the plan write to me: edubarca1946@gmail.com. I cannot post it here because the kit is still been made. Good luck!!!
Last edited by Edubarca; Jun 07, 2012 at 04:17 PM.
Jun 07, 2012, 07:30 PM
CV-15 VB-16
giuseppi's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD
Does anyone have any more (vintage) plans for the Piper PA-18 Super Cub? Have looked back through the index, and there are about twenty J3 cubs, but only the one PA-18 plan ...posted by Edubarca back here https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=2123 and that's nice, but that one somehow hasn't got me excited enough to start clearing the bench. The PA-18 came out in um 1949 I think, so there must be more plans out there..?
Did you see this one @ OuterZone? Same plan but cleaner looking.

http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=737

Also, not sure where these came from but they were in my plans folder.



g
Last edited by giuseppi; Jun 07, 2012 at 07:41 PM.
Jun 08, 2012, 02:23 AM
WMD
WMD
Womble of Model Depiction
WMD's Avatar
Hi giuseppi, and thanks. Yes, I have seen that plan at Outerzone thanks as it happens it was me that put the cleaned up plan onto there, yesterday. I was really hoping that some older pre-1960 plans would surface, but thanks for your help.

Steve
Jun 08, 2012, 05:58 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD
Does anyone have any more (vintage) plans for the Piper PA-18 Super Cub?
The plan for the 18 inch Sterling kit of the PA-18a Super Cub is on Hip Pocket at

http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/...t_id=60&page=3

Roger
Jun 08, 2012, 07:03 PM
Scott R/C Time Pilot
orange&white's Avatar
Oops
Jun 09, 2012, 03:05 AM
Registered User
hlsat's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange&white
Oops
It would be a big event and miracle literally, if my own posts here would be still active in the forums right here.

Thanks for cleaning reports.

Elijah.
Jun 09, 2012, 08:06 PM
Edubarca
Edubarca's Avatar
The Sterling rubber powered 18" span Super Cub is semi scale. The best and most accurate one is the Guillows, and it flies very well.
Jun 10, 2012, 05:34 AM
Registered User
hogal's Avatar

Fokker Triplane and Scrambler


Good morning all, well in the UK at least. I have now finished watching the TT's for this year and already booked to get to the Isle of Man next year. It's a shame that the Senior had to be cancelled this year but that is the way it goes with the weather. Well done to all the lads, big names and little guys, who took part.

Now away from motorbikes and,from the Aeromodeller of November 1951, I present the Fokker Triplane and Scramber and two more different plane's you couldn't meet.

The Triplane is a free flight scale designed model by P.E. Norman. The designer's name speaks for itself as far as accuracy and functionality are concerned. The model is designed for 2.5 to 3.5 cc motors turning nothing less than an 11" x 6" prop, certainly a nice diesel with loads of torque is being asked for here. Trimming such a plane would call for the utmost patience and dedication, or would three or four channel radio be better.

The Scramble, on the other hand, is a Class 'B' team racer. A very sleek and well designed model from the start of the Team Race history. There certainly no room for drag in this design. By the 1951 season it already had a string of victories to it's name. A credit to it's designer Johnny Jones.

As always with my drawings they are tracings from scans of the original articles and so may contain inaccuracies. If you choose to build from them please take care. The Triplane plan is in colour because I couldn't get the Black and White print below 3MB, if you would like a copy of it please send a mail.

Enjoy your day

Al
Jun 10, 2012, 09:44 AM
Registered User
Thanks Al. I really do enjoy your "print" versions. Lots of work!
John
Jun 10, 2012, 06:00 PM
Got Foam?
mjcmyers's Avatar
Hey Hogal, Do you have any other drawings not listed in the attachments of your blog?
I'm itchin' to do a scratch build and just can't find anything I like. Also the reason I ask is I am a big fan of your work and you have some of the best drawings out there...
Jun 11, 2012, 05:45 AM
Flying Low
cbarnes0061's Avatar
Just found this thread and I love it. Only made it to page 9 so far and have seen some great stuff.
Jun 11, 2012, 12:19 PM
Registered User
hlsat's Avatar
Calling all.

I am pleased to invite all of you who are involved in plans to visit this new address here

http://www.aeromodelistis.com/smfgr/

It is the first Greek forum with special reference to the drawings.
Greek language subject header Sxediothiki (lessons for all, positions for magazines, companies, etc.)
English translation Plan holder.

It is still a small stock plans but slowly renewed.
It is strictly controlled in these posts.
All checked before found online than me I am the coordinator.

Consult translator and come to see many.
1) Very good quality treatment plans.
2) Correct technical information for all.
3) Correct photos etc.

Enjoy.

Elijah Greece.
Last edited by hlsat; Jun 11, 2012 at 03:31 PM.
Jun 12, 2012, 04:56 AM
Registered User
hlsat's Avatar
An effort again in any other communication for Plan holder ( Greek Sxediothiki plans )


http://www.aeromodelistis.com/smfgr/...php?board=92.0
Last edited by hlsat; Jun 12, 2012 at 05:55 AM.
Jun 12, 2012, 05:52 AM
Registered User
hlsat's Avatar
An effort even for Greek collection plans.Here

http://www.aeromodelistis.com/smfgr/...php?board=92.0

Guide visit of a Greek Forum for projects.

Look all photos
Jun 12, 2012, 06:54 PM
Model Designer
keven64's Avatar
hlsat,

Thanks - that's great - but your link is 'all Greek' - to most of us

By the way - with respect - the English phrase is 'high wing' - not 'upwing'...

Keven.
Jun 12, 2012, 07:58 PM
Registered User

Google Translate


Quote:
Originally Posted by keven64
hlsat,

Thanks - that's great - but your link is 'all Greek' - to most of us

By the way - with respect - the English phrase is 'high wing' - not 'upwing'...

Keven.
Ah, yes. That's what Google Translate is for. It's not perfect but opens up the rest of the world that doesn't speak english to us.

Isn't that cool?
Jun 12, 2012, 10:29 PM
Model Designer
keven64's Avatar
...it was a joke - an old saying - "it's all Greek to me"...

...and Google Translate is just as bad as Babelfish

Keven.
Jun 12, 2012, 10:42 PM
Registered User
is there a problem with Outerzone? I haven't been able to view it today, and yesterday got to thefront page but couldn't download anything.
Jun 12, 2012, 11:28 PM
RC Adddict
Wilfor's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonquinn
is there a problem with Outerzone? I haven't been able to view it today, and yesterday got to thefront page but couldn't download anything.
Site doesnt work for me either
Jun 12, 2012, 11:53 PM
Model Designer
keven64's Avatar
I have also been unable to use it.

"The page cannot be displayed"...
...yet the little Outerzone logo is shown in the top tab header...?

Keven.
Jun 13, 2012, 12:02 AM
AMA 667982 KG7NKY
starcad's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonquinn
is there a problem with Outerzone? I haven't been able to view it today, and yesterday got to thefront page but couldn't download anything.

This is what I got.

The page cannot be displayed
The request cannot be processed at this time. The amount of traffic exceeds the Web site's configured capacity.
Jun 13, 2012, 02:21 AM
Registered User
Ratracer's Avatar
Outerzone is back up and running now
Jun 13, 2012, 03:40 AM
WMD
WMD
Womble of Model Depiction
WMD's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratracer
Outerzone is back up and running now
Morning, friends. Sorry. Outerzone does go down once in a while (say about once every 14 days). The short answer to this is - wait a bit, then come back later. About 6 hours later.

The longer answer is: like I say on the FAQ page - Because it is hosted on a budget server, to save on running costs. When Outerzone gets too busy, ie when many users are downloading many plans at the same time, the site will shut down for a few hours. Then it will pop back up again and everything will carry on as before. So if you can't access the site, the solution really is just to wait a few hours and come back later.

An even longer answer would be: I have just checked the download log for last night, and there were none between 01:56:33 and 07:12:16 (UK time). So that was the outage persiod, give or take a minute either way. Normally there are downloads in the log for every minute of every day. Total downloads (since 28/06/11) are 1,565,204. Last month the site overall got 1,438,886 hits.

I appreciate that downtime is a disturbance to users. But it's a free service, volunter run with no subscriptions and free access to all users. Downloads are free - and I am determined that they will be free for ever. A better hosting service will cost more money. I am not inclined to spend more of my money than I already am on hosting the site, not right now. But I am always happy to talk about how this might all work out in the future.

Steve
Jun 13, 2012, 04:29 AM
Registered User
hlsat's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by keven64
hlsat,

Thanks - that's great - but your link is 'all Greek' - to most of us

By the way - with respect - the English phrase is 'high wing' - not 'upwing'...

Keven.
Read the technical characteristics of Greek in the correct terminology in high wing if it bothers the terminology within the photo did not mind this detail.

Okay Keven we are Greeks and our communication language has features in our daily lives like yours. I understand the difficulty you can watch us but so are these. But if the will and pay a good effort all made in present day. All other beliefs that are simply excuses. The communication effort is the end result.

But Thanks for your efforts to those who visited.

Elijah.
Last edited by hlsat; Jun 13, 2012 at 04:38 AM.
Jun 13, 2012, 04:43 AM
Model Designer
keven64's Avatar
Elijah,

My recent comments were solely to illustrate that the use of translation sites does not work well.

I assumed that is what you use when translating (model) aeroplane terms...

...because if you did know more than the basic English - you would not have been calling high wing models 'upwing' all this time !

Keven.

edit: ...at times - even the English is "all Greek to me" - as above... ( ? ! ? )
...but this has no relevance to your efforts with the plans, eh ?
Last edited by keven64; Jun 13, 2012 at 09:56 AM. Reason: added comment
Jun 13, 2012, 04:55 AM
Flying Low
cbarnes0061's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD
Morning, friends. Sorry. Outerzone does go down once in a while (say about once every 14 days). The short answer to this is - wait a bit, then come back later. About 6 hours later.

The longer answer is: like I say on the FAQ page - Because it is hosted on a budget server, to save on running costs. When Outerzone gets too busy, ie when many users are downloading many plans at the same time, the site will shut down for a few hours. Then it will pop back up again and everything will carry on as before. So if you can't access the site, the solution really is just to wait a few hours and come back later.

An even longer answer would be: I have just checked the download log for last night, and there were none between 01:56:33 and 07:12:16 (UK time). So that was the outage persiod, give or take a minute either way. Normally there are downloads in the log for every minute of every day. Total downloads (since 28/06/11) are 1,565,204. Last month the site overall got 1,438,886 hits.

I appreciate that downtime is a disturbance to users. But it's a free service, volunter run with no subscriptions and free access to all users. Downloads are free - and I am determined that they will be free for ever. A better hosting service will cost more money. I am not inclined to spend more of my money than I already am on hosting the site, not right now. But I am always happy to talk about how this might all work out in the future.

Steve
Just checked out this site and it is sweet Found a sweet 100" wingspan Curtis Jenny. May be my next project after I finish the 30% Cap 232 I'm building.
Jun 13, 2012, 05:34 AM
Model Designer
keven64's Avatar
Quote:
Steve said (snip)
I appreciate that downtime is a disturbance to users. But it's a free service, volunter run with no subscriptions and free access to all users. Downloads are free - and I am determined that they will be free for ever. A better hosting service will cost more money. I am not inclined to spend more of my money than I already am on hosting the site, not right now. But I am always happy to talk about how this might all work out in the future.

Steve
I shall send you a message later - I need to go out immediately.

Keven.
Jun 13, 2012, 12:46 PM
Registered User
Ratracer's Avatar

Outerzone


It's only a miner inconvenience Steve.

All great website need a little downtime for maintenance every now and then.
Jun 13, 2012, 12:49 PM
MnM
MnM
Registered User
MnM's Avatar
Outerzone: 1.5 million downloads!!! What would be even more amazing would be 1.5 million new models built and flying, but human nature is what it is (me included!!)

Elias, congratulations on your effort, don't worry about some tranlator quibbles that are not your responsibility anyway!
Jun 13, 2012, 12:52 PM
MnM
MnM
Registered User
MnM's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibid
Ah, yes. That's what Google Translate is for. It's not perfect but opens up the rest of the world that doesn't speak english to us.

Isn't that cool?
You got it the other way round. Most of the "rest of the world" speaks English (me included ), it's not our fault if you English native speakers speak no Restoftheworldish
Jun 13, 2012, 01:28 PM
Registered User
Ratracer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by MnM
You got it the other way round. Most of the "rest of the world" speaks English (me included ), it's not our fault if you English native speakers speak no Restoftheworldish
Agreed

lbid
The bottom line is (Google Translator SUCKS)
Last edited by Ratracer; Jun 13, 2012 at 01:33 PM.
Jun 13, 2012, 01:58 PM
Registered User

Google Translate


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratracer
Agreed

lbid
The bottom line is (Google Translator SUCKS)
It is easy to be critical of the imperfections inherent in such complex processes. The fact is the English language as spoken in north america is so littered with colloquial expressions as to make the process almost impossible. Try iliminating these expressions from your own conversation for even an hour and you will see the difficulty.
Jun 13, 2012, 02:22 PM
Registered User
hlsat's Avatar
Elias, congratulations on your effort, don't worry about some tranlator quibbles that are not your responsibility anyway![/QUOTE]

Thanks frend.
Jun 13, 2012, 05:07 PM
Registered User

re: Plecan Grumman Widgeon from Air Trails Dec 1942


Quote:
Originally Posted by NOISY MUSE
**EDIT** Never mind Paul...I found and downloaded the most recent version. Just measuring it up on the monitor it looks like our X-Y problem is gone. Off to the printer...again. As they say, third time's a charm Thanks--SS
Got the plans printed, at 100% they come in at 39-11/6" which is WELL within rounding "error" for the designer to call 40". BTW printing at 101% nails 40" spot-on.

The not as good news...these appear to be pretty much for a static only model. For old free-flight birds I don't expect moving control surfaces, etc, but the plan shows no provisions for power at all, motor or rubber.

Ah well, looks like I get to "downsize" one of my larger plans.

Many thanks to pd1--we gave it a heck of a shot!!

Traveling for the last week and out another week. Visiting my folks, building a Dumas Ercoupe (design by Pat Tritle, prototype build thread here on RC Groups). Seems like a pretty neat kit, albeit modern (and a kit).
Jun 13, 2012, 05:08 PM
Registered User
Double post--sorry. Not my computer.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gallery Vintage & Old-Timer Plans built gallery orange&white Vintage & Old-Timer Designs 495 May 28, 2017 05:54 PM
Discussion Best source for Vintage/Old Timer plans? river-studio Vintage & Old-Timer Designs 22 Sep 18, 2016 03:22 PM
For Sale Old timer Sal Taibi plans Biper/Piper Aircraft - Fuel - Airplanes (FS/W) 2 Aug 15, 2011 10:30 AM