This thread is privately moderated by orange&white, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Sep 21, 2015, 01:58 PM
I like thermals
Ralph B - thanks ever so much. Bill is one of my favorite designers and model aviation wrtiters. Much appreciated! I will put Windy Joe on on the build list for next year.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 21, 2015, 02:01 PM
I like thermals
Re Lucky 13 - I read the build thread. How did Paul end up finishing his model after the difficulty with doculam? Is it tissue or litespan?
Sep 21, 2015, 02:19 PM
What's the span of Windy Joe?

Regards Ian
Sep 21, 2015, 03:41 PM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
Post deleted.
Sep 21, 2015, 04:21 PM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulserudder
Re Lucky 13 - I read the build thread. How did Paul end up finishing his model after the difficulty with doculam? Is it tissue or litespan?
After struggling with what must have been a duff batch of doculam - from Paul's description of the way it behaved it can't have been anything like any I have ever used - I think Paul simply covered the model in tissue (he said "Modelspan", the white was probably this but unless he had some coloured Modelspan tucked away the colours must be something else, it is a long time since coloured Modelspan was sold.
Sep 21, 2015, 04:38 PM
I saw a photo of an old british tailless glider called the Brevity over on Hip Pocket. I liked the way it looked and wondered if anyone might have a PDF plan available? It was apparently published in Model aviation in merry old England.
Sep 21, 2015, 04:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by faif2d
I saw a photo of an old british tailless glider called the Brevity over on Hip Pocket. I liked the way it looked and wondered if anyone might have a PDF plan available? It was apparently published in Model aviation in merry old England.
It was actually published in the "Model Aircraft" magazine. I see it is not one of the many MA plans on Outerzone, I do have the magazine with it in and will look it out and scan the reduced plan and article tomorrow.
Sep 21, 2015, 05:16 PM
I like thermals
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circlip
What's the span of Windy Joe?

Regards Ian
Good question.....

I note reference to a partial span of 6" shown on the plans for the tapered tip. From that, I deduce 1.5 inch rib spacing. Trailing edge 1 inch wide.

Enough for scaling?
Sep 21, 2015, 05:41 PM
Sundancer thanks a lot! I really like the looks of that one.
Sep 22, 2015, 12:40 AM
Baby Condor '48 from David Terrell scans. Personally, I like the tapered squared off wing and stab shown in the PIC, better than the final design they came up with. Of course I guess I can't choose aesthetics over flight characteristics, can I??
Sep 22, 2015, 12:44 AM
Hadn't noticed that Pulserudder, shouldav gone to specsavers.

Regards Ian.
Sep 22, 2015, 03:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by faif2d
There you go faif2d. From "Model Aircraft" magazine, July 1949. John Chinn was the brother of the better known Peter Chinn, a writer, columnist and authority on model matters.
Sep 22, 2015, 04:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer
After struggling with what must have been a duff batch of doculam - from Paul's description of the way it behaved it can't have been anything like any I have ever used - I think Paul simply covered the model in tissue (he said "Modelspan", the white was probably this but unless he had some coloured Modelspan tucked away the colours must be something else, it is a long time since coloured Modelspan was sold.
Hi George,

Yes the white tissue is Modelspan but the colored one I got it from Easy Build Models.

Thanks for the kind words Tri-Pacer.
Sep 22, 2015, 09:46 AM
great thanks to both Sundancer and Circlip for the response!!! This is a wonderful community!!!

Quick Reply