This thread is privately moderated by orange&white, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Mar 23, 2015, 07:06 AM
Clean copy of Mig.

Regards Ian.
Last edited by Circlip; Mar 23, 2015 at 07:20 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 23, 2015, 07:16 AM
Old Submariner

Back When We Had Great Publications

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Pilot
Gentlemen,

I've recently inherited about 20 OLD Model Airplane News mags dating from 1957,58, and 60.....they're full of plans.....unlike that POS mag the AMA puts out now.....sorry, but it's the way I feel....anyway, if there is any interest,.

Enjoy

O_P
Old Pilot-

That was back when we had great publications. I use to read (devour) every page. I dropped all of my subscriptions about five years ago. The new style of page layouts with borderless adds & text, "shilling" for dollars, and ARF "Builds", etc is just not for me. I did try to keep my subscription to "Flying Models" but then they went under, but not before they kept my $34.95 renewal even after they had shut down .

I know, "Old Fart Syndrome" and yes I am. Been Building and flying something for about 68 years. It is getting harder and harder to find kits, so much of my stuff is plan built or scratch built now

Well I will be 80 next month so not too many more rants of a Old Fart.

Happy flying,

Tom
Mar 23, 2015, 07:33 AM
Ad eos qui nesciunt crepitus

MAN January 1957 - Gramps - 64" single channel

this morning's scan

Added page 62 per Ian....thanks so much
Last edited by Old_Pilot; Mar 23, 2015 at 03:15 PM.
Mar 23, 2015, 07:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeceeveecee
Old Pilot-

That was back when we had great publications. I use to read (devour) every page. I dropped all of my subscriptions about five years ago. The new style of page layouts with borderless adds & text, "shilling" for dollars, and ARF "Builds", etc is just not for me. I did try to keep my subscription to "Flying Models" but then they went under, but not before they kept my $34.95 renewal even after they had shut down .

I know, "Old Fart Syndrome" and yes I am. Been Building and flying something for about 68 years. It is getting harder and harder to find kits, so much of my stuff is plan built or scratch built now

Happy flying,

Tom
Hey Tom,

Like you, I've been building a little more than 50 years, almost exclusively from scratch.....This thread and OuterZone are my sources for either plans or inspiration. Latest madness was the conversion of a 1961 control line stunt to 5 channel.....nothing like the old girls we used to fly..and I agree, the mags today are nothing but ad's...if they were made from a little better paper we could at least use the pages for covering ! LOL

Keep your nose up in the turns

O_P
Mar 23, 2015, 08:00 AM
Pity about top edge, but not Rocket science to read sizes. Nearly sixty year old Mags were printed better than the more recent ones, must have been pride in ones work.

Regards Ian.
Last edited by Circlip; Mar 23, 2015 at 05:46 PM.
Mar 23, 2015, 09:09 AM
Balsa Flies Better

Profile Speedster

Assembled from above. Enjoy.
Mar 23, 2015, 12:20 PM
For anyone who wants to subscribe to a publication with stick and tissue plans in it, I recommend:

FAC News Generally has several plans, three views and articles about ff rubber scale. Not as endearingly silly as it used to be years ago, but longer, with more plans, on better paper, and higher quality printing.

Tailspin, Mike Nassise's newsletter, which usually has one of his stick and tissue plans, plus one or two others. Often the additional plans date back a long way.

Max Fax Unfortunately, I let this one drop, but I shouldn't have. Often have themed issues, such as WW1 or dime scale.

-------------

RC Micro World publishes plans, and I think there's another publication associated with it that is pretty much all plans. I think some of the plans aren't stick and tissue. Haven't subscribed to this one. Also associated with a large data base of old plans you can buy. Last time I checked, the prices were reasonable.

I'm sure there are lots of other newsletters and publications like these.

Another source for old plans is Aerodyne.
Mar 23, 2015, 03:09 PM

MAN - January 1957 - Quickie Mail Plane

Best guess is 24" WS
Mar 23, 2015, 10:50 PM

plans

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeceeveecee
Old Pilot-

Happy flying,

Tom
I started in the early 70's, as a boy, I've never stopped. but what I did to save money back then has become commonplace due to the kits going out of style. I never thought the goldberg and top flite kits would end, or the greatplanes and royal, the only one left is sig. not to mention the radio's and the building materials, I use more foam than I ever thought I would, funny thing though I works. I can't say though we are a dying breed, I see a lot of newbies with their funny designs, they just don't build'm like we do
Mar 24, 2015, 07:22 AM

The Gambler - MAN April 1957

56" control line stunt for .29 to .35
Mar 25, 2015, 07:20 AM

MAN - April 1957 - B-66 - 42" WS Ducted Fan

First pass at plans enhancement and pdf creation

Revised Plan thanks to Circlip
Last edited by Old_Pilot; Mar 26, 2015 at 10:18 AM.
Mar 25, 2015, 07:47 AM

Skyfarer

I just came across this picture of the Skyfarer. See my post # 13942 .

Newt
Mar 25, 2015, 03:52 PM

MAN April 1957 - Jetex Delta

17 1/2" FF - Paul Del Gatto
Mar 25, 2015, 07:15 PM
Photoshop version.

Regards Ian.
Last edited by Circlip; Mar 25, 2015 at 07:21 PM.

Quick Reply