Vintage & Old-Timer Plans PRE 1960 PLANS ONLY - Page 927 - RC Groups
This thread is privately moderated by orange&white, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Feb 23, 2015, 06:16 AM

Vampie file sizes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circlip
"Vampie" post #13886

Why is article PDF so large though?

Regards Ian.
My mistake. Having got the article on screen in Firefox I then clicked the "magnify" icon which doubles the size and then copied into Paint Shop (which is what I normally do with small plans to give maximum screen size for restoring - but not necessarily better quality). This resulted in a bigger file. I should have simply saved the jpg, then saved it as a png (which is better for manipulating black and white images).

I have just been experimenting with different ways turning the scans into PDFs (I use Paint Shop Pro 9 and PDF995). The critical bit is remembering to reduce the number of colours. The black and white pages will reduce to 16 colours without loss of quality. Reducing to 2 colours gives a legible result, but with considerable loss of quality, especially in the photos, and with lots of jaggies in plans. In the case of the Vampie article this is probably not critical, but in an article showing construction details the larger file size of 16 colours is IMO much preferable. I have also experimented with manipulating the threshold (as advocated by Planeman). This makes a significant reduction in file size but without losing much quality. It is possible to do the threshold adjustment on the text only, leaving photos untouched; but this significantly increases the file size.

So here are three revised versions - one 16 colour, one 2 colour, and one with the threshold manipulated to minimise file size but still retaining enough detail in the photos.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 23, 2015, 08:18 AM
Good to see "Quality" alternate methods.

Regards Ian.
Feb 23, 2015, 09:21 AM
I'd rather be flying.....
Ian -

Thanks for the work on the Pine Needle ....

Now I'm nearly out of excuses not to build one.....

Best Regards,

Jeff
Feb 24, 2015, 10:28 PM
Looking for plans on a " Wee38". From. Wee-38 Lightning Article & Plans
December 1959 American Modeler. Did not find them in the index. Does anyone have a set in PDF? Thanks.
Feb 25, 2015, 05:02 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleysky
Looking for plans on a " Wee38". From. Wee-38 Lightning Article & Plans
December 1959 American Modeler. Did not find them in the index. Does anyone have a set in PDF? Thanks.
This one?
http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=6304
Feb 25, 2015, 07:07 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
No I think it's this one he's after - but in .pdf form.....

http://www.airplanesandrockets.com/a...ec-1959-am.htm
Feb 25, 2015, 07:21 AM
Not knowing Never Stopped Me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogal
CAD tracing of Princess on 36" paper.

I built one when it was first published in 1988, and powered with old OS Max 15. It flew really well on tick over, my brother and I would park it a great height and just let is stooge around with just the occasional radio input. I might even build one for electric.

Normal measure twice, cut once applies if building from this tracing.
Thanks a lot for the plan!
I built the framework of one of these when the plan came out, even covered the wings and the tail section then the dreaded "work" took over and any number of distractions you can mention. Bottom line; I still have the woodwork but had misplaced the plan to complete the final bits of the fuse'.

I think I will b going electric on this one. It looks like a really relaxing Sunday Flier.

Thanks to everyone that has made this link such a marvelous trip down memory lane and provided such beautiful plans. I have just finished working and I hope to get stuck into the 'planes again.

Cheers.

Pete.
Feb 25, 2015, 04:17 PM

Jasco Special

Hear are three I recently found at an estate sale.
First -
Jasco Special
32'' span
Bernard Shoenfeld
rubber FF
Feb 25, 2015, 04:21 PM

Kiwi half A

Second
Kiwi Half A
35'' span''
IC pylon FF
Guillow'
Feb 25, 2015, 04:24 PM

Playboy Senior

Third
Playboy Senior, 36'' WS
IC pylon FF
Cal Aero-Model
Feb 26, 2015, 05:07 AM
WMD
WMD
Womble of Model Depiction
Can anyone identify this plan? All I have is the scanned plan with title: 'Glider 1948' ... not sure where this one came from at all. Thanks

Steve
Feb 26, 2015, 07:56 AM
Sorry Steve, missed the "FM" from the 1948 description. Probably from "Flying Models."

Regards Ian.
Feb 26, 2015, 08:25 AM
RFJ
RFJ
Indeed it is from Flying Models Ian - designed by Alan Barrister, published in the January 1948 issue and simply called "1948 Glider"

Ray
Last edited by RFJ; Feb 26, 2015 at 09:36 AM.
Feb 26, 2015, 09:05 AM
WMD
WMD
Womble of Model Depiction
Outstanding. Thanks, Ray.
Feb 26, 2015, 09:11 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ray - is there an article to go with it? I'm tempted.......