Thread Tools
This thread is privately moderated by orange&white, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 07, 2015, 05:40 PM
Registered User

Another Way?


Quote:
Originally Posted by giuseppi
Does someone possess the skills and the desire to CAD trace the printwood files Pete put up on Outerzone for the 1/2A Privateer? Nothing I've tried produces any satisfactory results.

g
Hi Giuseppi,
I suggest you try another software called DevCad. This is very low cost and includes an example of tracing a scanned parts drawing.

I found reference to DevCad in another section of this site.

Regards,
John
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Jan 07, 2015, 06:04 PM
CV-15 VB-16
giuseppi's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozejohn
Hi Giuseppi,
I suggest you try another software called DevCad. This is very low cost and includes an example of tracing a scanned parts drawing.

I found reference to DevCad in another section of this site.

Regards,
John
I just might have a look at it. Have you used it, or just read/heard about it? Maybe it'll be the one that doesn't have an extensive learning curve that I can catch on to relatively quickly.

g
Jan 07, 2015, 06:06 PM
Registered User
P_J_Glor's Avatar
At this point, I can assure my fellow readers that my handling of the parts templates will be very nearly the same "vintage" method when building from plans in my youth; that is, I will cut my working copy of the templates from the pattern sheet somewhat oversized, use a glue stick to fasten them to my sheetwood, and cut them out close to the edges, allowing a little extra for final fitting. I will, however, try to "marry" the sheetwood side patterns while gluing them to the wood, so I can have one-piece sides, rather than the built up ones that Berkeley used to fit the box.

This will actually be a little less "vintage" than my builds from Walt Musciano's books, in that I had to scale those plans up from the book on the backs of cut-apart grocery bags, rather than use the 1:1 copies I Xeroxed from the kit parts.

I am well aware of the attributes of CAD and had a number of CAD/CAM -related research projects in the cruse missile program at General Dynamics Convair division, but never had any personal CAD capability. I do admire -- and thank -- those of you who keep moving the accuracy of our designs into the future through your skills and efforts.

Pete G
Jan 08, 2015, 08:01 AM
ParkScaleModels
zbrubaker's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by giuseppi
So. by all means Al, and anybody else who wants to give it a shot, I for one will be grateful.
I'm going to give it a go. I'm going to use the plan to trace the outlines and the parts image for reference, but I'm going to draw all the parts from scratch to ensure they are accurate. I'll post a PDF file when I'm done.

Once that is done I think I will scale it up a bit to a 48" span and modify it for electric RC and laser cutting.
Jan 08, 2015, 02:57 PM
Registered User

DevCad


Quote:
Originally Posted by giuseppi
I just might have a look at it. Have you used it, or just read/heard about it? Maybe it'll be the one that doesn't have an extensive learning curve that I can catch on to relatively quickly.

g
I have DevCad Pro, have used it for several years to trace drawings. I think it is easy to use.

Larry
Jan 08, 2015, 03:21 PM
Registered User
P_J_Glor's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbrubaker
I'm going to give it a go. I'm going to use the plan to trace the outlines and the parts image for reference, but I'm going to draw all the parts from scratch to ensure they are accurate. I'll post a PDF file when I'm done.

Once that is done I think I will scale it up a bit to a 48" span and modify it for electric RC and laser cutting.
Looking forward to it. Would make a great "intermediate" seaplane to compliment your other kits.

Pete G
Jan 09, 2015, 06:16 PM
Registered User

Ted Strader's 'Southwind 10'


This early r/c model was published in Flying Models, December 1955. Anybody able to scan and post the construction article and magazine plans? I think this was offered in the magazine alone, and there were fullsize patterns for the curvy bits and dimensional callouts for everything else. Love to have a chance to make up my own drawing and build the thing.

Thanks, folks.
Jan 09, 2015, 06:34 PM
I fly SLOPE landings are crash
HUMPHREY1957's Avatar
I recently picked up a DC Dart and would like to build a wasp wings which was kitted by Performance Kits.

I have looked on Outerzone
Does anyone have a plan?

I believe there is on on the AMA PLANS site.

I have yet to figure out how to order from there.

I have built the APEX A couple of times and have plans and templates.

Cheers Phil
Jan 09, 2015, 06:39 PM
Now I have to land that thing?
PGregory's Avatar

Southwind


Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH
This early r/c model was published in Flying Models, December 1955. Anybody able to scan and post the construction article and magazine plans? I think this was offered in the magazine alone, and there were fullsize patterns for the curvy bits and dimensional callouts for everything else. Love to have a chance to make up my own drawing and build the thing.

Thanks, folks.
Strange, barely any google results for this plane.
I just searched Flying Models plans, wasn't listed in their catalog.
There is an AMA Hall of Fame entry for Ted Strader, he mentions this was his first published plan in '55.
Depending on what results you have here on this thread, you could contact FM plans people directly, or google did find an archane reference to the plane in the Vintage R/C Society site - inquire with them. http://tinyurl.com/kk6m2xw

The Other Pete G
Jan 09, 2015, 06:49 PM
Now I have to land that thing?
PGregory's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMPHREY1957
...
wasp wings which was kitted by Performance Kits.

...

I believe there is on on the AMA PLANS site.


Cheers Phil
AMA listing for Wasp Wings
http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/W.pdf

Other plans service page on AMA

http://www.modelaircraft.org/plans/plans.aspx

"The Plans Service can be contacted by telephone at (800) 435-9262, ext. 507, or email [email protected].
A printable order form is available in PDF format."

Buena Suerte - and let us know how the build goes,
The Other Pete G


PS Added Info - similar info at RCG thread with pictures; https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...1186647&page=2
Jan 09, 2015, 07:46 PM
RFJ
RFJ
Registered User
RFJ's Avatar
Quote:
Anybody able to scan and post the construction article and magazine plans?
South Wind -Flying Models- December 1955

Ray
Last edited by RFJ; Jan 10, 2015 at 04:51 AM.
Jan 10, 2015, 01:24 AM
Registered User

Me 163


Ok, I've always called this Rankin's Me 163. Doug Rankin taught me to fly models back in the late 1970's. Doug was ex R.C.A.F and an Air Canada Captain. The club used to race 1/2 A one Sunday a month all winter. One year Doug showed up with this. It was unconventional for the time. It was also fast and flew well. Several others were built. I ended up with the plans with the intention of building one but never did. So here they are. I don't know how old they are or where they came from. Each sheet appears to be four magazine pages taped together.
If anyone knows the origin of this plan I'd love to know.
Jan 10, 2015, 02:18 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
Sundancer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Pentland
Ok, I've always called this Rankin's Me 163. Doug Rankin taught me to fly models back in the late 1970's. Doug was ex R.C.A.F and an Air Canada Captain. The club used to race 1/2 A one Sunday a month all winter. One year Doug showed up with this. It was unconventional for the time. It was also fast and flew well. Several others were built. I ended up with the plans with the intention of building one but never did. So here they are. I don't know how old they are or where they came from. Each sheet appears to be four magazine pages taped together.
If anyone knows the origin of this plan I'd love to know.
I'm pretty sure that this was a "free" plan published in either RCM&E or Radio Modeller back in the sixties. I have a feeling it was designed by Dave Platt, but can't be sure of that. I bet RFJ will know!
Jan 10, 2015, 02:54 AM
Registered User

me 163 komet


ltd
Last edited by p.balsi; Jan 18, 2015 at 02:11 AM.
Jan 10, 2015, 04:18 AM
Registered User

me 163 komet


ltd
Last edited by p.balsi; Jan 18, 2015 at 02:10 AM.


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gallery Vintage & Old-Timer Plans built gallery orange&white Vintage & Old-Timer Designs 514 Oct 16, 2021 09:28 AM
Discussion Best source for Vintage/Old Timer plans? river-studio Vintage & Old-Timer Designs 22 Sep 18, 2016 02:22 PM
For Sale Old timer Sal Taibi plans Biper/Piper Aircraft - Fuel - Airplanes (FS/W) 2 Aug 15, 2011 09:30 AM