This thread is privately moderated by orange&white, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Aug 31, 2013, 08:45 AM
If it flies, I crash it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratracer
$10.50 + $3.50 Shipping Buy it now and the book is yours

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1955...-/330962966789
I built one of these 4 or 5 years ago. Never flew it. I'll sell it to you if you want it
It's apart for storage. It's got a Cox motor mounted on it.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 31, 2013, 08:47 AM
Starup and shutdown the old way
Vintage Dynajet Pulsejet model engine.Startup & Shutdown 1950's (0 min 52 sec)

Timed Flight with the pulse crackle.
Control line pulse jet speed flight (2 min 30 sec)

Many more on YouTube
**Neons** Bob
Aug 31, 2013, 09:00 AM
Brooklynite In Texas
Oh yea!

Speak up, can't hear ya!
Aug 31, 2013, 10:18 AM
Still have two Dynajets in working condition. Flew jet speed in the 60's. Sidewinder model designed by Mike Hoyt?? out of Newton?, central Iowa.

Used to have 3 Dynajets but had a mono wire break at St. Louis (Buder park) and strained it and the plane through the chain link safety fence. Left a considerable bulge in the fence. You could hold any part of the plane or engine in the palm of your hand.
Sep 01, 2013, 04:08 AM
Hello Bob,
many years ago, I have built also a Pulsoengine, but much bigger.
The Sound was great and had many power, complete it was 1 meter.
Unfortunatelly, it was destroyed, but I have later begun to manufacture new parts.
The head and the combustion chamber have a diameter of 10 centimeters, made of aluminum. I have all the drawings and the description.
But it was really very complicated to build. If I have time, I make some pictures.
Greetings Matz
Sep 01, 2013, 09:09 AM
Intermediate Multi
They probably give you turbine performance for a lot less cost and complexity. Its just that sound.
Sep 02, 2013, 11:30 PM
I think the pulsejet speed planes are running somewhere around the same speed as the AMA class A speed planes, a bit faster than .049 speed, not as fast as the larger engines. Turbines are a lot quieter, at least the ones I've seen. And so far, none of them come close to the speed folks are getting with the dynamic soaring gliders. I've seen some videos of that, and I just can't imagine the focus to stand on the edge of a mountain cliff and fly continuous slanted loops at speeds reported as well over 400 miles per hour, in a plane powered only by gravity.
Sep 02, 2013, 11:40 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
FWIW, the wind provides most of the power in DS, specifically the difference in its speed above and below the shear line. But without gravity I doubt it would work at all.
Sep 03, 2013, 08:52 AM
It's almost unbelievable that the Dynajet got red hot! 60 years ago, S. Calhoun Smith and a buddy designed and built a control-line scale Grumman F9F powered by a Dynajet. Imagine that heat trapped inside the airplane, even with insulation.

Jim R.
Sep 03, 2013, 11:25 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
Can't speak for the Dynajet, but a clubmate of mine back in the day had a bigger Italian made unit and believe me the tailpipe of that got VERY hot - dull red going to cherry red and, if you could stand the noise long enough and had a big tank on it, almost white. The first time we ran this was on a test stand at the local control-line field, the noise could be heard for miles and it scared the s**t out of us all - needless to say we didn't run it THERE again!
Sep 03, 2013, 01:46 PM
[B]ALL[B] pipes with fires burning inside them get hot and in the case of pulse jets Very hot, even the Dyna jet. In installations there is/was invariably airspace around the unit with cooling air allowed to pass over it. This occurs when the unit is moving through the air otherwise it doesn't.

Regards Ian.
Sep 03, 2013, 01:49 PM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circlip
[B]ALL[B] pipes with fires burning inside them get hot and in the case of pulse jets Very hot, even the Dyna jet. In installations there is/was invariably airspace around the unit with cooling air allowed to pass over it. This occurs when the unit is moving through the air otherwise it doesn't.

Regards Ian.
And sometimes there wasn't enough airspace or insulation....I remember seeing pictures in Aeromodeller of a Lockheed Shooting Star by John Claydon which caught fire in flight and was completely burned out.
Sep 03, 2013, 03:43 PM
I mentioned we took out a Jet Trainer once .... on a quiet calm Sunday afternoon (!) When I got home, a couple of miles away, my mother commented that she had heard a strange noise earlier 'like a ships' foghorn"

I never said a word .....
Sep 03, 2013, 03:48 PM
Quote:
like a ships' foghorn
A crystal clear description....
Sep 03, 2013, 05:19 PM
Intermediate Multi

RC Pulse Jet

In my August, 1972 AAM:

Quick Reply