This thread is privately moderated by orange&white, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Aug 26, 2013, 05:52 AM
pd1
pd1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967250s
maybe someone here would be interested in these aircraft<, Boston SAM planes.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1970246
They're gone.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 26, 2013, 09:35 AM

plans posted

I noticed that we've had a wistful comment about the number of plans being posted. True enough, but I think we've worked through a lot of the available plans; perhaps the pickings are getting slimmer. I know I have more plans in my collection than I will ever build. Doesn't stop me from hoping to get a happy surprise when someone posts a plan I didn't know existed.
Aug 26, 2013, 01:45 PM
I went through many of the ones I have, but there are a few more here and there. I felt like a break from that stuff, too. Will probably load a few more sometime.
Aug 26, 2013, 02:57 PM

Popular Mechanics Encyclopedia vintage1955 biplane model

Greetings,
As a kid I remember seeing a cute 1/2 A powered, all-sheet, free flight biplane in my dad's Popular Mechanics Do It Yourself Encyclopedia vintage1955 (volume 7, ME to PA). Anyone remember that plane or better yet, anyone have a copy of the plans?
Thanks.
Dennis
Aug 26, 2013, 05:53 PM
I'll add another request to Cessna098's request. Popular Mechanics (I don't think it was Popular Science) had a catapult-launched F-111 sometime in the mid/late 1960's. It had rubber-band powered swing wings that folded back at launch, then swung out as the model gained height. Anyone recall this model? Better yet, anyone have the plans?

CD
Aug 26, 2013, 06:28 PM
Controliner

F-111 Plan

Here it is...
Aug 27, 2013, 12:32 AM
I seem to remember one of these at a local FAC contest. It actually worked often enough to get 3 officials out of 6 attempts.
I hope I can find some FF and CL activity now that I've moved to the Columbia SC area. There are a number of RC clubs, but nobody seems certain about how much of the CL and FF activity there is.
Aug 27, 2013, 01:16 PM
Thank you, that looks like it!

CD
Aug 27, 2013, 01:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50+AirYears
I seem to remember one of these at a local FAC contest. It actually worked often enough to get 3 officials out of 6 attempts.
I hope I can find some FF and CL activity now that I've moved to the Columbia SC area. There are a number of RC clubs, but nobody seems certain about how much of the CL and FF activity there is.
This list of FAC squadrons shows two clubs in South Carolina, and one of them is in Columbia, or at least that's where the contact info is:
http://www.flyingacesclub.com/facsqdaug12.pdf
Aug 27, 2013, 09:46 PM
Lincoln, much obliged.
Aug 28, 2013, 09:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH
I noticed that we've had a wistful comment about the number of plans being posted. True enough, but I think we've worked through a lot of the available plans; perhaps the pickings are getting slimmer. I know I have more plans in my collection than I will ever build. Doesn't stop me from hoping to get a happy surprise when someone posts a plan I didn't know existed.
Things do seem to be slowing down around here a little. Maybe everyone's out flying and it will pick up after labor day. I hope so ... I have gotten a LOT from this forum.

In any event, RCG has opened a new forum for the posting/sharing of Scale Drawings and 3 Views:

https://www.rcgroups.com/scale-drawi...ree-views-860/

Maybe somewhere in your plans, you have some drawings you might like to share. Maybe you know of some site where they might be found. All are welcome.

NO PLANS for model a/c will be allowed. That's why you guys are here.

Also ... there are a number of guys on this forum who have the skills, time and programs needed to clean up drawings and suchlike.

I have a feeling that some very old stuff that will need a bit of work is going to show up there.

If you can lend a hand ... it will be VERY appreciated.

And who knows ... you might just be able to restore something that would otherwise be lost to history.

Thanks.
Last edited by TedD60; Aug 28, 2013 at 12:27 PM.
Aug 28, 2013, 11:46 AM
I've spent the last couple of days with the magazine plan and article on the Shereshaw Cumulus. With the copying over the years and who knows what else, plus the necessary small scale, simply blowing it up wouldn't do. So I set about drawing something up that I could cut out the parts and be reasonably sure that they would fit. I fully expect a surprise or two, but there shouldn't be anything major.

I drew this at 48" wingspan because that's what I intend to build, but the original was 96". I also made the changes needed to make it electric. It's an easy thing to double the size if you need to. One thing, though, in the conversion from cad to pdf, wingspan went from 48" to close to 52". If there is someone here who knows how to fix this and has the time to do it, then please do.

There are also things like the dihedral brace and spar bracing that is not drawn here. Anyone wanting to build one (with this plan or another) should absolutely read the magazine article. There are a lot of things explained there that are not obvious on the plan.
Last edited by cd_webb; Sep 04, 2014 at 06:47 AM.
Aug 28, 2013, 12:13 PM
AMA16634...Just Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by cd_webb
I've spent the last couple of days with the magazine plan and article on the Shereshaw Cumulus. With the copying over the years and who knows what else, plus the necessary small scale, simply blowing it up wouldn't do. So I set about drawing something up that I could cut out the parts and be reasonably sure that they would fit. I fully expect a surprise or two, but there shouldn't be anything major.

I drew this at 48" wingspan because that's what I intend to build, but the original was 96". I also made the changes needed to make it electric. It's an easy thing to double the size if you need to. One thing, though, in the conversion from cad to pdf, wingspan went from 48" to close to 52". If there is someone here who knows how to fix this and has the time to do it, then please do.

There are also things like the dihedral brace and spar bracing that is not drawn here. Anyone wanting to build one (with this plan or another) should absolutely read the magazine article. There are a lot of things explained there that are not obvious on the plan.
See if these work for you.......
Aug 28, 2013, 12:26 PM
Yep. OK, I knew there was somebody here that could figure it out. Thank you, Brner!

David
Aug 28, 2013, 02:23 PM
Culper Junior
Quote:
Originally Posted by cessna098
Greetings,
As a kid I remember seeing a cute 1/2 A powered, all-sheet, free flight biplane in my dad's Popular Mechanics Do It Yourself Encyclopedia vintage1955 (volume 7, ME to PA). Anyone remember that plane or better yet, anyone have a copy of the plans?
Thanks.
Dennis
Dennis,
Did you find anything out about this biplane yet?
It sounds like it could have been a Roy Clough design since he had several published in PM, but maybe not. Or maybe Paul Palanek?

Can you describe it any better? Any hint of a name?
Jim
Last edited by aeronca52; Aug 28, 2013 at 02:52 PM.

Quick Reply