This thread is privately moderated by orange&white, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 18, 2013, 03:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer
Sorry to disagree Al, but this being a tailless model the washout is not there to prevent tip stalling, it is there so that the model will have enough stability to fly! In other words, the washed-out wing tips are acting like a very short moment, high negative angle tailplane. As you say, it is important to get both wings equal and then fine pitch trim adjustments can be made by the adjustable elevons.

It might not need a whole 10 degrees if it was made with an airfoil which had near zero or positive pitching moment.
Suggest something in between the airfoil used here:
http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/...ch=54409;image
and a normal, thin, flat bottom airfoil.

You might check out the airfoils in Barnaby Wainfan's Swallow. These are for a slightly swept flying wing with taper.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 19, 2013, 04:32 AM

yet another Great Lakes Trainer

This one's a 12 inch dime scale from David F. Duncan Co. Or at least I think it's dime scale, I don't see a year on it. Designer is L.H. Deubler. This appeared in the Jan/Feb 1995 Flying Aces News.
Jan 20, 2013, 09:37 PM

Pitts Mystery

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenenglish
Hi Bill,
I think it might well be the Toni Clark (Practical Scale) 1/3 Pitts.
Practical Scale has now been German based for decades and I think addresses a mainly European market, which would explain the French language (Belgium, Switzerland, etc.).
I have a similar Practical Scale plan (a BE2e) and the sketches and legends (character font) look similar.
Anyway, here's the link. Have a look and see what you think...

http://toni-clark.com/english/modelle/pitts/pitts1.htm

Brian
Hi Brian,

Thank you for the interest in my problem. The model plan in question is a 33% S2-A 80 inch span.

The Clark is an S1-S at 33% with a 68.5 inch span. It is more obscure than some but I have the Clark as well. It is a fairly sophisticated plan. I actually have Toni Clarks custom ZG62 with damped mount and custom intake with SS exhaust cannister to accompany the plan.

Thanks again. You have the only attempt thus far. I amazed that no one knows.

Thanks again, Bill
Last edited by bee banger; Jan 20, 2013 at 09:45 PM. Reason: spelling
Jan 21, 2013, 01:37 AM

Black Chiffon and PZL P24 Fighter

From the Aeromodeller of October 1952 I introduce the Black Chiffon and the PZL P24 fighter.

Black Chiffon is a Class A (2.5cc) team racer designed by C. Milford. It was designed after team racing had been on the books for a year or two and people were getting a feel for the type of planes that were winning races and inverted engines seemed to be the way to go. I'm not sure if the plane actually placed in any races but it had been developed over five models. Interesting finish details!!!

The next one up is the PZL P24 Fighter designed by D. Bryant. I am not sure if this is the Dennis Bryant or not but the plane is certainly worthy of him. The model is 36" span, 1.5cc powered, scale model of the Polish Fighter plane. It has knock of flying surfaces and pendulum controlled elevator. An interesting build and certainly one for consideration if you want a small, realistic, radio job.

As always my drawings are but tracings of blown up scans and may well contain errors, please measure twice before committing to any knife work. If you notice any mistakes let me know so I may rectify them. I will be forwarding .dwg files to Steve at Outerzone so he may host them.

Most of all enjoy,

Al
Last edited by hogal; Jan 23, 2013 at 04:58 PM. Reason: corrected the controlled flying surface
Jan 21, 2013, 05:25 AM
Recycled Modeller

Dennyplane

Does anyone have the full-size plan for the 30's "Dennyplane" from Denny Industries which they would be willing to post?
The "Dennyplane Jr" 48" span is already here, but I am looking for the original, full-size 72" span model.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Wilf
Jan 21, 2013, 06:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilf
Does anyone have the full-size plan for the 30's "Dennyplane" from Denny Industries which they would be willing to post?
The "Dennyplane Jr" 48" span is already here, but I am looking for the original, full-size 72" span model.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Wilf
It looks like the AMA has it if you can figure out which is the right one. The listings seem a bit confused!
http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/D.pdf

These guys below, and some of the AMA listings, indicate that the Jr. is 72 inches:
http://www.freeflightmodels.com/
I've ordered from them before with good results, some years ago.

These guys seem to have it, and they're inexpensive:
http://www.co-op-plans.com/magento/i...ennyplane.html

Bob Holman may or may not have it, but he's got a picture of it:

Anyway, those are some of the usual suspects, but there are many more.
http://www.bhplans.com/GMPg4.html
Jan 21, 2013, 07:41 AM

Some cleaned and joined plans

Here are

Cleaned re-scan of the interesting canard pusher Velivole from Aeromodeller June 1946 (originally uploaded by Aeromeddeler in post #2373), together with the article and the Aeromodeller front cover (from Colin Usher's site)

Cleaned and joined versions of Walt Mooney’s Piper Pawnee from Model Airplane News December 1965 (uploaded by Frankyfly at https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...3#post16709735), and his Piper Super Cruiser from MAN April 1967 (scans from http://waynesfreeflightmodels.wordpr.../mooney-plans/).

Earl Stahl’s 30 inch Schweizer TG-2 glider from MAN December 1942, from scans from theplanpage.com

Roger
Jan 21, 2013, 12:14 PM
Recycled Modeller
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincoln
It looks like the AMA has it if you can figure out which is the right one. The listings seem a bit confused!
http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/D.pdf

These guys below, and some of the AMA listings, indicate that the Jr. is 72 inches:
http://www.freeflightmodels.com/
I've ordered from them before with good results, some years ago.

These guys seem to have it, and they're inexpensive:
http://www.co-op-plans.com/magento/i...ennyplane.html

Bob Holman may or may not have it, but he's got a picture of it:

Anyway, those are some of the usual suspects, but there are many more.
http://www.bhplans.com/GMPg4.html
Thanks, Lincoln, I'll check these out

Wilf
Jan 22, 2013, 06:23 PM
High Exalted Poohbah
Here is one I don't recall seeing here. Its a big one, the Sterling Stearman PT-17, 65 inch wingspan.
Planeman
Jan 22, 2013, 06:38 PM
Balsa&Tissue
Quote:
Originally Posted by planeman
Here is one I don't recall seeing here. Its a big one, the Sterling Stearman PT-17, 65 inch wingspan.
Planeman
Planeman,

Very nice! A great size for a Stearman. This is one for the build list!

Thank You,

Dave
Jan 22, 2013, 07:18 PM
Heads up...
Quote:
Originally Posted by payne9999
Planeman,

Very nice! A great size for a Stearman. This is one for the build list!

Thank You,

Dave
Just added it to mine. Big Stearman fan here....Big fan, not Big Stearman. I wonder if this can be reduced to 50 percent? BRB....
Jan 22, 2013, 08:05 PM
DOUBLE cheers for the Sterling Stearman!!

Many thanks.
Jan 22, 2013, 08:48 PM
Another thanks for the nice Stearman. Any other good Sterling plans?
Jan 23, 2013, 12:44 AM
Here are some plans scanned from the June/July 1996 Airflow newsletter. This issue was edited by Dave Stott, sitting in for Vance Gilbert.

I've included zip files, but I'm not sure they're necessary.

The Flying Aces Airhopper appeared in the Jan 1943 issue of Flying Aces. It's 15 inches span as printed in Airflow.

The Humdinger appeared in the November, 1934 issue of "Sportsman Aviation". Sorry about the low quality, the drawing in Airflow is pretty bad too.

The last model is Comet Kit A6, the Stinson Voyager. As printed in Airflow, it's just over 12 inches span. Not sure what year this one came out. Suggest using a better prop than the all flat one shown.
Jan 23, 2013, 05:33 AM
Morituri non cognot

Sterling Kits

1967250s Another thanks for the nice Stearman. Any other good Sterling plans?

I did a search of the Outerzone plans and found these:

Searching for keyword Sterling found 36 plans:

Albatros DII-A - from Sterling - 28in span - Scale IC Rubber F/F Biplane Military Fighter
Ansaldo SVA 5 - from Sterling - 19in span - Scale Rubber F/F Biplane Military Fighter
Boeing B-17G Flying Fortress - from Sterling - 39in span - Scale IC C/L R/C Multi Military Bomber
Chance Vought F4U-1A Corsair - from Sterling - 36in span - Scale IC R/C LowWing Military Fighter
Cirrus - from Sterling - 1970 - 87in span - Scale Glider F/F Civil
Citabria - from Sterling - 34in span - Scale IC Rubber F/F C/L Cabin Civil
Corsair - from Sterling - 14in span - Scale Rubber F/F LowWing Military Fighter
Diamant - from Sterling - 74in span - Scale Glider F/F
F4U-1A Corsair - from Sterling - 36in span - Scale IC R/C LowWing Military Fighter
Fairchild PT-19 - from Sterling - 21in span - Scale IC C/L LowWing Trainer Military
Fairchild PT-19 - by Raymond Clapper from Model Airplane News, Sterling - 1968 - 44in span - Scale IC C/L R/C LowWing Trainer Military
Fokker D7 - from Sterling - 24in span - Scale Rubber F/F Biplane Military Fighter
Fokker D7 - from Sterling - 1968 - 58in span - Scale IC R/C Biplane Military Fighter
Fokker D8 - from Sterling - 13in span - Scale Rubber F/F Parasol Military Fighter
Fokker Dr1 - from Sterling - 24in span - Scale IC F/F C/L Triplane Military Fighter
Fokker EIII Eindecker - from Sterling - 25in span - Scale IC R/C Military Fighter
Interstate Cadet - from Sterling - 13in span - Scale Rubber F/F Cabin Civil
Minnie Mambo - from Sterling - 36in span - IC R/C Cabin Trainer
P-47 Thunderbolt - from Sterling - 22in span - Scale IC R/C LowWing Military Fighter
P-61 Black Widow - from Sterling - 38in span - Scale IC C/L Multi Military Fighter
Paddys Pig - by Barry Halsted, Jed Kusik from RCM - 1966 - 48in span - IC R/C
Piper Cherokee - from Sterling - 38in span - Scale Rubber F/F LowWing Civil
Piper Super Cruiser - from Sterling - 36in span - Scale Rubber F/F Civil
Piper Tri-Pacer - from Sterling - 59in span - Scale IC R/C Cabin Civil
Ringmaster S-1 - by Matt Kania from Sterling - 42in span - IC C/L
SE5a - from Sterling - 15in span - Scale Rubber F/F Biplane Military Fighter
Spitfire I - from Sterling - 24in span - Scale Rubber F/F C/L R/C LowWing Military Fighter
Spitfire IX - by George Harris from American Modeler - 1962 - 64in span - Scale IC R/C LowWing Military Fighter
Stearman PT-17 - from Sterling - 13in span - Scale Rubber F/F Biplane Trainer Military
Stearman PT-17 - from Sterling - 1967 - 64in span - Scale IC R/C Biplane Civil
Stinson Reliant SR-8 - from Sterling - 57in span - Scale IC R/C Cabin Civil
Taylorcraft - from Sterling - 13in span - Scale Rubber F/F Cabin Civil
Tiger Moth - from Sterling - 33in span - Scale Rubber F/F Biplane Trainer
Waco SRE - from Sterling - 13in span - Scale Rubber F/F Cabin Civil
Waco SRE - from Sterling - 33in span - Scale IC C/L Biplane Civil
Zero - from Sterling - 13in span - Scale Rubber F/F LowWing Military Fighter

I think I'll look into buying a few shares of Balso Inc.......LOL

Calm winds

O_P

Quick Reply