This thread is privately moderated by orange&white, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Mar 09, 2012, 03:26 PM
Ray,
Many thanks for the text

Al
to remove ads between posts
Mar 09, 2012, 03:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogal
Attached are my efforts An elliptical stringered fuselage has my vote every time.
Hi Hogal,

Just to say thanks for your hard work, that really is an excellent redraw of a lovely model, it is very much appreciated, and yes... I do intend to build it!

Paul.
Mar 09, 2012, 11:48 PM
AMA 667982 KG7NKY WRPN876

Air Trails - May 1953 - Dick Schumacher - Liberty Belle

Air Trails - May 1953 - Dick Schumacher - Liberty Belle
Mar 10, 2012, 09:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starcad
Air Trails - May 1953 - George P Harris - Sassy Saucer

Man, this copy just keeps going with different designs.
I've always been facinated by round wing planes! I wonder how difficult it would be to convert this to electric R/C?

Rick
Mar 10, 2012, 09:53 AM
Quote from Hogal " Now a request from my side. I have no Model Aircraft magazines from 1950 and 1951 in my collection. Would some kind soul scan in the plans and their accompanying text so I can give them the treatment."

All I have of the Magazine Model Aircraft.None from 1950 and only two from 1951. When I was buying from fleabay before the prices went through the roof the MA magazine were few and far between.

According to the index from the Colin Usher site it started in February 1949 but the earliest scan from Zoe Quilter is February 1952.
Lets hope there are some more out there.

Model Aircraft January 1951

Kling 120" span FF flying Wing.

Tiniflite 10" C/L Speed

Twister 28" span C/L stunt

Jetex Canard 16" span FF the name says it all

Model Aircraft September 1951

The Bat 48" span flying wing

Wards Wagon 64" span FF PAA load
Mar 10, 2012, 12:37 PM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
Quote:
Now a request from my side. I have no Model Aircraft magazines from 1950 and 1951 in my collection. Would some kind soul scan in the plans and their accompanying text so I can give them the treatment.

Many thanks

Al
I've only got September 51. I'll scan and post tomorrow.
Brian
The September 51 plans have been Aeromeddled above
Last edited by brokenenglish; Mar 11, 2012 at 01:16 AM.
Mar 10, 2012, 07:13 PM
Quote from Hogal " Now a request from my side. I have no Model Aircraft magazines from 1950 and 1951 in my collection. Would some kind soul scan in the plans and their accompanying text so I can give them the treatment."

I`ve got 3 from 1950 & 4 from 51.
Will dig them out & scan as soon as I can. Ive still got a good pile of them right up till the last so what else are you missing ? Ditto all Aeromodeller from 1943 to 1973
Regards Alan
Mar 10, 2012, 07:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyvernS4
I've always been facinated by round wing planes! I wonder how difficult it would be to convert this to electric R/C?

Rick
Rick, there have been many other designs similar to this one and I'm sure it could be converted to electric and r/c but check out some of the other designs for how they were constructed before attempting something like the Sassy Saucer as there may be stability issues. Wow that was a run on sentence. Sorry.

Guy
Mar 10, 2012, 07:26 PM
Hogal, not sure what all I have here. I just finished on box and am ready to start on the second. Chris, that does my laser cutting, told me he has found four more large boxes of old magazines and is trying to get them. Maybe, we'll see what comes out of those.

Guy
Mar 11, 2012, 01:19 AM
Brian,

Thanks for the offer however Aeromeddler has already posted this one.

Al
Mar 11, 2012, 01:20 AM
Aeromeddeler, many thanks for these two, Al
Mar 11, 2012, 01:23 AM
Alan,

Thanks for the offer, to save time note that Aeromeddeler has already loaded Janand Sept 1951.

Al
Mar 11, 2012, 01:25 AM
Guy,

Thanks for the offer.

Al
Last edited by hogal; Mar 11, 2012 at 02:03 AM. Reason: Name spelt wrong, sorry
Mar 11, 2012, 02:02 AM

Icarus and Snorky

First of all let me thank all that have offered to load up the plans from Model Aircraft 1950 to 1951. I look forward to giving them the Hogalised treatment.

I have also had a request to post in just black and white which is not a problem. However, I feel this should be put to a vote. So folks, black and white or colour. Rather than clutter up the forum with this please private mail me and I'll publish the results next time I post - so an arbitrary cut of date of 17th March on the voting. Don't forget I have one for black and white if you like the colour versions.

Now for this upload from the April 1951 Aeromodeller I present the Icarus and Snorky.

Icarus is a large control line stunter from the pen of John Coasby. The plan presents the version for 5cc motors, the Junior, with a wing span of 42 ins and wing area of 325 sq. ins. The text doesn't give the wingspan of the Senior but quotes the wing area of780 sq. ins. Now this would give an approximate span of 65 ins which would be truly impressive flying, as they recommend, on 100 foot lines. As an aside, I just love the baby stunter nestling on three bays of the wing.

The second up is Snorky. A design to Grant's low CLA theory which was popular at the time. It has a distinctive triangular shaped fuselage that was a feature of a number of designs at that time. The designer was G. Rae.
Mar 11, 2012, 04:46 AM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
Quote:
The text doesn't give the wingspan of the Senior but quotes the wing area of780 sq. ins. Now this would give an approximate span of 65 ins which would be truly impressive flying
The Icarus Senior wingspan may not be quoted in the original article, but it is given as 67" in the various "fifties" Plans Handbooks.
Here's one vote for keeping your drawings the way YOU prefer!!!
The original model, presented like that, with no needless and unauthentic personal mods, is fantastic. We even have Aeromeddeler & Co catering for a few ol' fools like me who're still hooked on Hatfull, Dean & Coasby. So my firm opinion is that, collectively, you're doing a great job. Don't change anything!!!
P.S. I've just noticed that we don't seem to have a Pushycat...

Quick Reply