Thread Tools
This thread is privately moderated by orange&white, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Oct 17, 2010, 07:39 PM
pd1
pd1
Registered User

Douglas Skyrocket


Jetex power anyone?
Douglas Skyrocket
Some of the plan has faded away, sorry about that.
Last edited by pd1; Dec 02, 2010 at 09:29 AM.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Oct 18, 2010, 03:12 PM
High Exalted Poohbah
planeman's Avatar
Here is one that should interest some of you. Its the Berkeley Bootstraps A-RC, a 54 inch wingspan cabin RC/FF that would make a good RC trainer today. It was kitted by Berkeley in 1952 almost at the very beginning of the RC revolution. I remember it as a kit on the top shelf of the hobby shop where I worked part time in the mid-to-late 1950s. For those of you interested in what early RC entailed, just look at the plan at the rubber band powered magnetic escapements and the little one-channel 27mh receiver. No proportional servos then! No plug-in stuff either. Everything was pretty much soldered together. And the batteries were un-rechargeable dry cells. I personally had a transmitter and a 2-tube receiver (for the life of me I can't recall the brand of them right now) and used a Bonner escapement.

Planeman
Oct 18, 2010, 03:24 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by planeman
Here is one that should interest some of you. Its the Berkeley Bootstraps A-RC, a 54 inch wingspan cabin RC/FF that would make a good RC trainer today. It was kitted by Berkeley in 1952 almost at the very beginning of the RC revolution. I remember it as a kit on the top shelf of the hobby shop where I worked part time in the mid-to-late 1950s. For those of you interested in what early RC entailed, just look at the plan at the rubber band powered magnetic escapements and the little one-channel 27mh receiver. No proportional servos then! No plug-in stuff either. Everything was pretty much soldered together. And the batteries were un-rechargeable dry cells. I personally had a transmitter and a 2-tube receiver (for the life of me I can't recall the brand of them right now) and used a Bonner escapement.

Planeman
Nice looking plane. Sort of reminds me of a Sig Kadet ...
Oct 18, 2010, 03:38 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by planeman
Sorry Wayne, but no Cumulus here. There needs to be though. Does anyone have a better plan?

Planeman
I drew mine up from the Flying aces article. I had it scanned and blown up to the scale I wanted at 83 inch span. The lines were way thick! I traced over them to get basic working drawings then winged it from there. Be carefull though as the drawings are not symetrical in some areas like tailplane rib spacing. I guess the short kit suppliers must have a proper plan too.

Allan
Old Oct 18, 2010, 04:37 PM
planeman
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Copyright infringement. It is temporarily hidden while planeman edits it.
Oct 18, 2010, 04:37 PM
The King Moonracer of balsa.
Windependence's Avatar
Hi Allen,

Thanks for the insight. I am really wrestling with selecting which old-timer I am going to build. Originally it was going to be a Playboy Sr. but now I am torn between that one and the Keil Kraft Falcon, the Cumulus and the Cobra. They are all beautiful designs and will all make great lazy day flyers. Planeman is only making my decision harder by making all of these other great looking planes available. Just the other day he uploaded other must build of mine the Lanzo Swayback.

So, here is a little mini poll for everyone, of the origional 4 mentioned;
  • Playboy Sr.
  • Keil Kraft Falcon
  • Shershaw Cumulus
  • Cobra
Which one would be the best lazy afternoon, low wind floater/flyer? Am I sick for wanting so many of these old-timer beauties?

Oh the humanity, he posted 18 more while I was typing this.
Last edited by Windependence; Oct 23, 2010 at 10:16 PM.
Oct 18, 2010, 07:21 PM
Registered User
I thought I had died and gone to heaven when I saw the pdf, " North American B25". Drat, a profile model.
Oct 18, 2010, 08:44 PM
Registered User
scrubs's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFM70
I thought I had died and gone to heaven when I saw the pdf, " North American B25". Drat, a profile model.
Well Mike Midkiff's got a plan of the B25C. 42" in rubber or electric versions for $8.

http://www.ozarkmodelaviation.com/

bill
Oct 18, 2010, 08:58 PM
AMA16634...Just Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFM70
I thought I had died and gone to heaven when I saw the pdf, " North American B25". Drat, a profile model.
Here's a zip file containing a mess of jpg's. If you've got the time and the patience, these could be useful in developing a plan. HTH....
Oct 18, 2010, 09:18 PM
AMA16634...Just Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFM70
I thought I had died and gone to heaven when I saw the pdf, " North American B25". Drat, a profile model.
I combined those jpg's into one pic in Acad and converted it to a pdf for you...hope this helps you.
Oct 19, 2010, 08:12 AM
Closed Account
Nice work, Brner!

Soft landings,

Joe
Oct 19, 2010, 08:57 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubs
Well Mike Midkiff's got a plan of the B25C. 42" in rubber or electric versions for $8.

http://www.ozarkmodelaviation.com/

bill
Bill
Thanks, I knew he had a plan, but that is first link I've seen. I will probably go that way.
Last edited by TFM70; Oct 19, 2010 at 08:58 AM. Reason: sp
Oct 19, 2010, 08:59 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brner
I combined those jpg's into one pic in Acad and converted it to a pdf for you...hope this helps you.
Brner
Thanks, that will be a good reference and I have saved it.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Best source for Vintage/Old Timer plans? river-studio Vintage & Old-Timer Designs 22 Sep 18, 2016 02:22 PM
Gallery Vintage & Old-Timer Plans built gallery orange&white Vintage & Old-Timer Designs 494 Nov 22, 2015 10:48 PM
For Sale Old timer Sal Taibi plans Biper/Piper Aircraft - Fuel - Airplanes (FS/W) 2 Aug 15, 2011 09:30 AM