This thread is privately moderated by orange&white, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Sep 25, 2011, 03:53 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
Not a problem to me, Wilf, I'd much rather have something posted twice than not at all! But, as the man said, Steve's great index is very user friendly and it is quick and easy to check for previous posting.

Also, in response to the earlier comment about page numbers losing their significance if you have selected to view 100 per page; the above mentioned index does give the post number and you can jump straight to it, and that would always be my first port of call.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 25, 2011, 05:27 AM
NSWFFS
According to the internet, November 1947 is the right issue for the Boys Mosquito plan, page 716.

I believe the plan number is FSR279?

Cheers,
Rob
Last edited by McGiver; Sep 25, 2011 at 05:39 AM.
Sep 25, 2011, 07:01 AM

Aeromodeller plan scans

HI,
Here is the January 1953 AEROMODELLER which contains the build article and plan for the Dart Kitten that a few people have expressed interest in.

The cover photograph shows a boat load of Swiss at the Hydromodel Nationals, Lucerne-Horw in 1952.

B.G.44. described as the worlds outstanding A/2 Sailplane was the first article and plan to pour over. It comes from Yugoslavia and the design pen of Bora Gunic.

It’s a lovely looking model and gave Bora top honours at the 1952 A/2 sailplane contest at Graz. The plan includes full size formers.

Next to KARORO a 40” floatplane from New Zealand showing how our hobby has no international boundaries.

Designed by John Sheppard who said KARORO is the Maori name for Seagull. It takes of and alights as gracefully as it’s namesake and has a long tail moment giving it a high degree of stability. Sounds like the ideal choice for a first free flight Floatplane.

KORORO has been posted before but only as a poor quality Jpg.

To the DART KITTEN by John Lamb. Of 32” wingspan and for .75cc motors it is simple to build and according to John has a very lively performance.
The plan was only published as a half page but I have scanned at 600dpi so the quality should be fine for enlarging.

To AIRCRAFT DESCRIBED by G.Cull who takes an in depth look at the SUPERMARINE SPARROW.

It is a two seat light plane designed by a young R.J. Mitchell. Yes the same R.J. Mitchell that went on to design the immortal SPITFIRE.

Methinks it would make great scale Peanut model.

Finally for those looking for any information on the Howard Boys Mosquito plan I have included a scan of Page 716 from the 1947 AEROMODELLER.

Cheers

Algy
Last edited by algy2; Sep 25, 2011 at 07:09 AM.
Sep 25, 2011, 02:32 PM
High Exalted Poohbah
Quote:
Originally Posted by perttime
This is not a plan but an article that some in this thread might like.

5 pages on the Napier-Heston Racer from a 1943 Flight Magazine. The original files are in Flight Global online archives but this file has the pages in one place and is cleaned up a bit.

Napier-Heston Racer = Nuffield-Napier-Heston Racer, Heston J5, etc, etc.

Great article on an obscure subject!!! Thanks!

Planeman
Sep 25, 2011, 02:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by planeman
Great article on an obscure subject!!!
Obscure?

OK, they only finished the one aircraft and it spent 5 minutes in the air. I should really have posted a picture too but looks like people have been viewing the article anyway.
Sep 25, 2011, 05:26 PM
WMD
WMD
Womble of Model Depiction

Tempest II - cleaned up

I had a go at cleaning up the Tempest II posted earlier at post 5959 by Algy2, and this here is as good as I can get it. Full size now, at 31in wingspan, with all the hatched background removed (painstakingly, by hand). This is not a pretty result, need higher res original for that, or more skill in cleaning than I have, but it is I hope clearer to read now.
Sep 25, 2011, 05:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick.benjamin
Folks,
It might be better to refer to plan location by post number.

By choosing to display 100 posts per page, I see this thread as 61 pages long.
Ignore this, I was wrong. It's only easy if you're using the 100 posts per thread setting. For all others it's a pain in the neck.

Seconded. I use the 100 posts per page setting as well and there are other choices. The post number makes it easy to find no matter what posts per page setting you use.
Last edited by Bargle; Sep 26, 2011 at 06:39 AM. Reason: I was wrong.
Sep 25, 2011, 11:30 PM
I'm back. Got most of the plans from the Ken Williard book, 8 Easy Projects for 1/2A engines. Going to upload that first.
Start with the tether (not controlline) Blue Angels quad for .049. Probably could be converted to CL.
Then a simple thing for Flee Fright. Maybe Free Flight? The fFling Thing. Just a can, for rotor blades, and the engine mounted inside.
Another strange thingy. The Fantastic Ragtime Flying Machine. Engine, Hardwood block, acouple thumbtacks, couple small screws to mount the engine, and a couple red Mechani's wipers.
Roamin' Rhombus, a joined wing FF for .049, built from 16" X 48" foam sheets of 3/16" and 1/4". Shouldn't be hard to convert to RC.
Then a kind of general how to build a ground running Spindizzy by mounting wheels to the outside of a round or square metal pan and mounting the engine in a hole in the middle to make a sort-of ground effects machine.
And finally the Rotoriser, another more or less helicopter.
None of these is really a plan, but there are many dimensioned drawings, and some are pretty much self explanatory, not really needing dimensions.
Sorry about the angled pages, my scanner has a nasty lip on the platen, and often I think I have gotten the page in correctly, only to find out they aren't. Sometimes, on newer sources, I may redo the page, but many of these mags are getting fragile, and even falling apart on me when I try to arrange it for scan. I've actually ruined a few pages because of the almost 70 year old paper.
Last edited by 50+AirYears; Sep 25, 2011 at 11:42 PM.
Sep 26, 2011, 12:46 AM
I'll try to get a few more in, but I had a good flying day, with 25 flights between 1:15 and 7:00, but with 2 maidens, 2 crashes, minor damage, and one lost small copter. Many Wild Raspberry and wild rose scratches, as well as mosquito bites.
I also tried to add underscores, and to indicate in full articles which pages are plans as opposed to text.

A 1937 Texaco FF.
A 1956 Unlimited Rubber contest flier.
Aerolance by Clarence Mathers, kind of a brother to the Aerogull which followed in the Dec 1958 FM. Some items may be interchangeable. I built one probably around 1960 with an O.K. Cug .049, but never got beyond glide tests. Engine ran fine from an eyedropper tank at home, but couldn't get a pop out of it any of the few times I got it to someplace I had room to fly it.
I know I uploaded this Antoinette a few months ago, but the scan was from a thermal copy, which may have had significnt distortion. This upload also has the ufll article, none of my so-so handwiting.
The Carribean Gull is a small CL amphib.
The Simple Simone was intended as a multi-use CL plane.
Sep 26, 2011, 01:52 AM
NSWFFS
Quote:
Originally Posted by algy2
HI,
Here is the January 1953 AEROMODELLER which contains the build article and plan for the Dart Kitten that a few people have expressed interest in.

SNIP

Finally for those looking for any information on the Howard Boys Mosquito plan I have included a scan of Page 716 from the 1947 AEROMODELLER.

Cheers

Algy
Was the plan in that issue too Algy, the info I found says it was but I don't know either way? If so and I said please, could you post it for us?

Cheers (and thanks in advance),
Rob
Sep 26, 2011, 03:21 AM
WMD
WMD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bargle
Seconded. I use the 100 posts per page setting as well and there are other choices. The post number makes it easy to find no matter what posts per page setting you use.
I would disagree, and vote against that, for technical (database/scripting) and highly dull reasons. Here's why.

Your post, which I have just quoted is here at this URL: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=6052

As a demo, if you examine that URL the UID (the p number of 19419461) is the useful data. The post number (postcount of 6052) is not tied to the actual post in the database in any meaningful way. The post number is just an abstraction slapped onto the end. If you give me just the post number, there is no programatical way I can then create a link to that post. I would need the UID, or the page.

Try using that URL with the UID number the same, but changing the postcount to 6053... so it's https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=6053 - you end up at the same post. Then try it vice versa, so it's https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=6052 - thats a different post.

Does that explain? I hope that makes sense.

If you only give me a post number, there is no programatical way I can then create a link to that post. But if you give me the page number I can create a link to that page (at standard default size).

This is why VinPlanDex lists the post number but does not link from it. You can only link either to the page or the UID.

No-one is suggesting we use UID in conversation, so that just leaves the page number, at the default page size. Best I can do at the moment.

Steve
Sep 26, 2011, 03:44 AM
Hi Rob,
No sorry the plan for the Boys Mosquito is not in the November 1947 issue of AEROMODELLER. There is only the one page that I have posted and even that does not give much solid information. I have the issue in front of me now.

As mentioned I cannot find the plan listed in the three plans hand books I have.

I checked the X-Lists as well because they give a code number that gives the publication date. It might be 2/47 which would be found on the far right of the plan listing. That would translate as FEBRUARY 1947.That would tell me and anyone else where to look for it.

Cheers

Algy
Sep 26, 2011, 04:16 AM
WMD
WMD
re post numbers and page unumbers. Clearly, I need to get out more... but...

Actually, the more I think about this, the more unworkable it seems to me. Here's a real world example. There was a nice CL speed plan uploaded at post 4133. Given only the post number, how exactly do you then get to the plan? Seems like a nightmare to me. Am I missing something? That does sometime happen. If I am, please talk me through the steps to arrive at the plan. Thanks.

Steve
Sep 26, 2011, 04:43 AM
If you move the cursor over the page numbers - then a there's a little counter which pops up which shows the post numbers on that page.
Last edited by owlsabie; Sep 26, 2011 at 04:51 AM.
Sep 26, 2011, 05:16 AM
WMD
WMD
Quote:
Originally Posted by owlsabie
If you move the cursor over the page numbers - then a there's a little counter which pops up which shows the post numbers on that page.
Ah, ok, I see. A tooltip appears when I do mouse-hover over the page link... ok. But then what? I mean the post I wanted is 4133, and that doesnt appear there, so I then... do I have to just guess how many pages to go back, and then do the same again? That seems to me to be the beginning of a long and slow looping algorithm involving guesswork.

Quick Reply