This thread is privately moderated by orange&white, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Sep 21, 2011, 06:22 PM
WMD
WMD
Womble of Model Depiction
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50+AirYears
Not too long ago, I was checking the index to see if I were duplicating submissions, but found it took up a large chunk of the time I have available.
Hi there 50+, I've just indexed your recent posts, so everything is up to date now. I'm trying not to duplicate entries in the index. So I havent added most of these.

To be honest, I'd say about 80% of your recent Comet posts are duplicates. Mainly from page 4 of this thread, back in July when Kenny_e posted all these great Comet plans the first time around.

No big problem. Carry on by all means. I just wondered why you are taking the time to repost these all, if time is an issue for you?

Steve
to remove ads between posts
Sep 21, 2011, 06:59 PM
It's just that I've collected a huge number of plans over the years, some from actually scanning magazine articles and copies myself, some downloaded from this and other websites. I still have some I actually scanned from full size plans, but not many, that I haven't yet uploaded. I've tried to stay organized on what I've uploaded, but I don't actually have any reerence to where each file came from. Add to that, a few of these files were copied to different categories in my filing system, such as where a few were actually designed as multi-disciplanary models (ie CL, FF, and RC), What I've uploaded here is somewhere around half my library. I'm still scanning, still have more already scanned to process into PDF and upload. I only get a couple hours a day, and not every day, on my wife's computer (Timeshare?) and I not only use it for this, but also for bill paying, personal organization, and even some learning activities.
My filing system divides into model airplanes, Boats, and model railroading. Then planes are subdivided into RC, CL, FF. Then subdivided into things like Scale, Sport, OT, Nostalgia, Novelty. Like I've said, in order to build all the kits I have, and build just from the plans I'd most like to build from, I need another 650 years of life.
Sep 21, 2011, 07:29 PM
50+, don’t feel bad. You’re not alone. I could probably use a few 100 years extra to build all these models, but by then they’ll have a PC hook up to our brain and our dreams will be created in real life. Why by that time who knows what a model or airplane will look like! Will balsa still be available?
I still find a “new” engine or kit when I start rummaging in my pile of basement stuff. What’s even worse is when I’m looking for something I think I have, but really don’t. The old magazines have a lot more material for builders than the current ones of to-day. Keep going, you’re doing a great job.
John
Sep 21, 2011, 09:39 PM

Aeromodeller plan scans

Hi,

To 1949 and the November issue of AEROMODELLER with the cover painting by Rupert Moore showing the Chilton D.W.1 in full flight.
The first build article and plan of the rank was for the Chilton D.W.1 by J.Geenland for scale powered free flight.

It features a “power egg” and aluminium panels and builds into a fast flying attractive model.

A 22’ wingspan control line stunt model “LIL ZOWEE was next.
Designer B.Faulkner built it for a newly acquired E.D 1cc diesel and said it can be constructed in just three evenings and is pleasant to fly.

The third design, by J.Barker, was for the LULU Mk.11 a 50” span lightweight contest glider.

With a sheet balsa fuselage and simple construction it is another model that can be built quickly and out onto the flying field.

Back to scale but this time for control line with the WW11 TEMPEST by H.J.Pridemore.

It is not a beginners model but would present no problems for builders of moderate experience and even features a third line engine cut out. It would look a treat in the air.

Finally another racer by Miles Aircraft Ltd you might not have seen before.
It’s the MILES HAWK SPEED-SIX and was constructed from the HAWK MAJOR airframe and placed well in a number of competitions at the time.

E.J. Riding gives full details together with scale drawings.

Cheers

Algy
Last edited by algy2; Sep 22, 2011 at 07:34 AM.
Sep 22, 2011, 04:17 AM
WMD
WMD

Comet Catalogs

Or catalogues, as we chaps in the old world would say. I'm sorry if this has been posted before, but I've just stumbled onto - http://www.parmodels.com/Comet%20Catalogs/index.htm - which has complete Comet catalogs in PDF to download from 1931, 1932, 1936, 1938, 1939, 1940, 1941 and 1943. Here's a couple of example pages. Fantastic stuff. Now I can grab thumbnail modelpics of all these plans for on Outerzone.
Sep 22, 2011, 07:11 AM
*jj
*jj
Quote:
Originally Posted by algy2
Hi,

To 1949 and the November issue of AEROMODELLER with the cover painting by Rupert Moore showing the Miles Hawk Speed-Six racer in full flight.
Looks more like the Chilton to me?
Sep 22, 2011, 07:21 AM
This is not a plan but an article that some in this thread might like.

5 pages on the Napier-Heston Racer from a 1943 Flight Magazine. The original files are in Flight Global online archives but this file has the pages in one place and is cleaned up a bit.

Napier-Heston Racer = Nuffield-Napier-Heston Racer, Heston J5, etc, etc.
Sep 22, 2011, 08:06 AM

Oh yes, reminds me of . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50+AirYears
Looks like RChopper got the same plan I did, but was able to clean it up. Not too long ago, I was checking the index to see if I were duplicating submissions, but found it took up a large chunk of the time I have available.
Funny thing, I've had several CAD packages available to me, a couple provided at work, but when I'd try to learn them, I was percieved as not productively applying my time.
Yet, as a result of a problem we had with a schematic originally drawn in Autocad, which I corrected with an early version of Design Cad 2D, a number of techs in my department got themselves copies, including one person who used TurboCad, and another who was hot for Autocad.
I did have some luck working with ORCAD for Electronics schematics, and it's connection with SPICE circuit simulation software. Haven't had much luck working with other CAD programs except an early version of Logicad.
Then, I had mixed results with something our IT dep't provided us in their infinite wisdom. We were looking for an inexpensive standard sketchpad package for the lab, and some Dork upstairs provided us with something called VISIO. Basically a flowcharting program that was worthless for electronic schematics, and barely useable for simple physical layouts. Drew a lot of cartoon style houses with it.
I retired 11 years ago, hadn't thought about the various CAD programs for that long. Used "FastCAD 2.7" (written in assembly so it is FAST) to design our house back in 2000, better than AutoCAD, IMNSHO (In My Not So Humble Opinion). It is now up to version 7.5. Company I worked for used OrCAD 6.1 for circuit capture, it is now up to version 16.5 - Wow! time flies. Reminds me of all the editor programs way back when. I liked PE2, it didn't scatter nonprintables thru my code like some of the other, including word processors, did. Some people would have a dozen processors and editors on their computers, would get quite strident about their favorites. Ah, the good old days.
Sep 22, 2011, 01:32 PM
WMD
WMD

Vega Transport?

I'm looking at the Comet catalogues from the link I posted earlier. In the 1941 on page 5 there is a pic of something new to me. Does anyone know the Vega Transport - I've grabbed the pic here, its the bottom left - it's a nice looking twin tailed low wing design with tricycle gear. I've never even heard of this plane before. Would love to see a plan for this, if anyone has it?
Sep 22, 2011, 02:03 PM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
New one on me Steve, the only Vega I know is the Lockheed high wing one. This one looks like an Ercoupe with a tapered wing?
Sep 22, 2011, 02:37 PM
RFJ
RFJ
That's a Vega Starliner from around 1938. Unusual in having two Menasco engines geared to drive one propeller.

Ray
Sep 22, 2011, 02:59 PM
WMD
WMD
Aha! Vega Starliner. Thanks Ray, that's been driving me crazy. Nice looking plane that is, I love the way the canopy looks like a 50's hot rod car. Am tempted to try and piece one of those together.

Steve.
Sep 22, 2011, 04:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD
Aha! Vega Starliner. Thanks Ray, that's been driving me crazy. Nice looking plane that is, I love the way the canopy looks like a 50's hot rod car. Am tempted to try and piece one of those together.

Steve.
Designed by Lockheed's subsidiary AiRover Company, which by 1938 became the Vega Airplane Company, the Vega Starliner was a five/six-seat low-wing cabin monoplane with retractable landing gear and an unusual powerplant. This comprised two 194kW Menasco C6S-4 inline engines, mounted side-by-side, and coupled to drive together, or independently in emergency, a single propeller. First flown on 22 April 1939, the Starliner was abandoned after some 85 flight test hours as there was no demand for an aircraft in this category.

new one to lots of us I think. Quite a bit about scattered over the net. Someone has done some nice graphics for the flight sims.
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...Vega-Starliner
Looks like there was a solid as the plan is on fleabay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1940-UNITWIN...-/290520009325
Sep 22, 2011, 04:34 PM
Scott R/C Time Pilot
Thread OP
Hello all

Does anyone have a one piece plan Frog senior series Widgeon?

I have a 8 part file but is difficult to enlarge and print.

Thanks

Scott
Sep 22, 2011, 05:47 PM
WMD
WMD
How's this? It's just the same plan but I've stitched it together into one PDF then resampled it up to 300dpi. There isn't any more detail of course, but hopefully it might print out nice. Let me know if it's not right - I tried to scale the wing to 18in span, that might not be exactly right.

Steve

Quick Reply