This thread is privately moderated by orange&white, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Aug 05, 2011, 07:43 PM
Perhaps the "MISS" should experience vertigo sometime and it may be that "she" would then understand what going around in circles can do to you. In the past I absolutely loved to fly control line model planes and would do so today if not for that problem of getting dizzy. I choose to not fly control line so that I don't take the chance of hurting someone or myself if I were to fall and lose control of the handle/airplane. Why someone would get so upset about this fact of life is beyond me.

Soft landings,

Joe
to remove ads between posts
Aug 05, 2011, 08:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeromeddeler
Its a very interesting site apart from the fact she cannot get her head round the fact that C/L flying does make some people dizzy. The merest mention of this will ensure her set piece email, undoubtedly in response to the many requests for this and that and some of her pet hates..
I used to set up electric RTP at the club I was in and there have been several designs for RTP controllers enabling you to control the plane from outside the circle. Heights dont bother me but going round and round
ONe of the guys I fly FF with also does a fair amount of CL. I mentioned I get dizzy from the round & round. He said he had the same problem but found a cure in the bracelets they use for preventing sea sickness. PUt him back in the circle again.

scrubs
Aug 06, 2011, 12:02 AM
I have a problem with Motion Sickness as a passenger in a car, bus, or boat. I have gotten dizzy with .049 CL planes, and had a couple years with balance and coordination problems while recovering from a stroke before I could return to CL flying. A freind of the wife has a son who is a Marine Flight Instructor on Harriers who has a motion sickness problem who uses an elastic band with plastic buttons that are supposed to press on the nerves between the wrist tendons on the underside of the wrists. Works for him, doesn't for me.
Aug 06, 2011, 07:30 AM

Aeromodeller plan scans

Hi,
The cover illustration of the August 1942 AEROMODELLER featured the latest in the development of a rubber duration model that first flew in early 1937.
It was PERCY 111 . It could be flown from the ground or water by virture of plug in undercarraiges.

Turning to rubber powered scale and readers were given the chance to build J.A.F Halls's 1 16b RATA with the publication of a full size plan

The WAKEFIELD designed by R.A.H. was the next build article and plan while all out speed was the target sort by R.A. Brown with his TRAVELAIRE SPEEDSTER.

The rubber powered TRAVELAIR SPEEDSTER was claimed to fly in a straight line at 30mph at a height of 18 inches thanks to a specially designed anti torque wing.

Finally tailless gliders continued to hold interest for a great many modellers so AEROMODELLER included the 55 in wingspan TAILESS GLIDER by K.Novell.

Although engines and free flight powered flight was a very popular topic no power plans were published in this issue.

The flying of such models was banned for most of World War 11 in the UK.

Cheers

Algy
Aug 06, 2011, 12:34 PM
AMA 667982 KG7NKY
Not really sure where or how to categorize this one 50+ 'Ethan Allen Pepperbox Pistol'
Aug 06, 2011, 12:58 PM

Pepperbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by starcad
Not really sure where or how to categorize this one 50+ 'Ethan Allen Pepperbox Pistol'
Maybe with Planeman's Electric Chair?

Ar.
Aug 06, 2011, 03:15 PM
Emergency survival kit accesory for Civil War Era Recon Ballonist? I thought anything that appeared in Air Trails or any derivative of Air Trails, such as ATHFYM was model aviation related. Even the series of structure plans that appeared over several issues for the Bobby Benson B-Bar-B ranch. (Old cowboy show on radio!) Or a seies on using junk parts like wire, nuts, bolts welded together into sculptures, or the series on winners of GM's Fisher Body competition where high school and college students could submit their clay models for concept car design, or a 1948 or 49 discussion of carbon compound radar absorbant sheathing for naval vessiles in an early stealth concept. There were even a couple articles on Anti-Gravity engines. I messed up the last page of one of the articles in photocopying years ago, and I don't know if I still have the original mag. Anyway, here they are, for whatever it's worth.
Aug 06, 2011, 06:21 PM
OCD: Old, Cranky and Disgusted
Hey! Guns and planes go together! Otherwise the Sopwith Camel wouldn't be NEAR as much fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by starcad
Aug 06, 2011, 06:55 PM
Daddy's pad when mama's mad

Airplanes and Guns

Last edited by kenny e; Aug 07, 2011 at 02:25 PM. Reason: A bad idea
Aug 06, 2011, 07:02 PM
Daddy's pad when mama's mad
not a good idea
Last edited by kenny e; Aug 07, 2011 at 02:27 PM. Reason: guns and model plane don't mix
Aug 06, 2011, 11:17 PM

Aeromodeller plan scans

Hi,

Going to the May 1943 issue the cover of which features a four engined heavy British bomber over target. It is most probably a Lancaster or possibly a Halifax 11. Aeromodeller was not often identifying it's covers or giving credit to the illustrater at this stage.

The first plan featured was for the DRAGONFLY a simple tow line glider.

The centre page plan was for the TETRARCH a great looking duration rubber model. The formers and the root rib were full size but you had to draw up the rest to scale. Advice was given that cleaned negative film could be used for the windscreen.

Finally in this issue another of the quirky designs by Ray Malmstrom was made available for the TOM-TIT-TRIPLANE.

It's full size, rubber powered and according to Ray can be flown indoors or out of doors or even round-the-pole. You even get the layout for the 41/2
inch prop. Despite it's percular design flight durations of 40 to 50 secs are claimed. I wonder if the latest rubber would take it over the minute.

Cheers

Algy
Aug 07, 2011, 01:20 AM
Why stop at a .22LR? There is also a version of the Herky gunship with a 105 mm Howitzer. Lets see, if a .22 represents a 40 mm, that would make what, a .45 or .50 to represent the big gun? .45 ACP would probably be more practical!

Hm, let's see. The June 1956 ATHFYM or YM whatever they were then had a C-130A for CL, 4 glow engines. Scale it up a bit, update it to the radome nose, and definitely convert from standard counterclockwise flying to clockwise to keep the pilot willing to fly it. Hm - 4 engines, lots of documentation available for scale contest. How many points for a scale operating feature like this?

Second thought. Have to keep the CC flight path. For maximum demo points, the cone of fire has to converge on the target area. Therefore, the port side has to point in to the center of the circle. Obviously, a good flack jacket should be a manditory part of the field equipment,

Remember, competition rules negate the flight as official if parts fall off the plane. I assume this would include the brass from spent rounds. Anyone trying this should make sure to integrate something to make sure all the brass from the firing is collected.
Aug 07, 2011, 02:46 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
"It is most probably a Lancaster or possibly a Halifax 11. Aeromodeller was not often identifying it's covers or giving credit to the illustrater at this stage."

Definitely a Halifax, the Merlin powered one.
Aug 07, 2011, 06:23 AM
Halifax BII Series 1. 35 Sqn. Serial number one of W1015, W7808, W7825, HR 903, HR916, or HR987 which all carried "P" during their usually short sqn service. 35 Sqn was one of the 5 Sqns which formed the Pathfinder Force from 1942.

Quick Reply