This thread is privately moderated by orange&white, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Aug 04, 2011, 09:33 AM
Hi.

Here is the Veronica British Open and A/2 record holder plan.

Cheers

Algy
to remove ads between posts
Aug 04, 2011, 10:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny e
algy can you please continue to scaning the covers from each issue with the plans if this isn't to much extra trouble its an excellent idea. maybe Aeromodeller and RJF can join in the the art work from these old magazines is also very cool and collectable

kenny
I agree, please continue where possible Algy, the cover scans really adds to the plans and articles.

Regards

Bridon
Aug 04, 2011, 10:24 AM
RFJ
RFJ
Would it be an idea to start a separate "Aeromodeller Covers" thread to keep them all together. There are already 356 pages in this thread with probably many more to come. Makes finding anything very difficult - thank goodness for the index.

I could contribute about 25 years worth from 1945 onwards....but life's too short

It's really the early ones with paintings as opposed to photographs which are worth collecting. The paintings ended in December 1950.

Anyone with a first edition (November 1935) care to start. I see a one sold on eB*y recently for 128 (just over $200)

Ray
Last edited by RFJ; Aug 04, 2011 at 10:41 AM.
Aug 04, 2011, 10:35 AM
Daddy's pad when mama's mad

Aeromodeller cover thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFJ
Would it be an idea to start a separate "Aeromodeller Covers" thread to keep them all together. There are already 356 pages in this thread with probably many more to come. Makes finding anything very difficult - thank goodness for the index.

I could contribute about 25 years worth from 1945 onwards....but life's too short

It's really the early ones with paintings as opposed to photographs which are worth collecting. The paintings ended in December 1950.

Ray
That's an excellent idea Ray you should start one some time today
Aug 04, 2011, 10:43 AM
Daddy's pad when mama's mad
Or if you like I could get it started for you but the only covers I have are the ones you guys have posted on the internet
Last edited by kenny e; Aug 04, 2011 at 11:02 AM.
Aug 04, 2011, 11:19 AM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
Nothing to do with Vintage planes other than the prop but anybody got a copy of the plans that went with this kit. I always fancied one as a kid, but Model aircraft took up most of my pocket money

Another nice British 1960's design

There's a picture of the original boat before it was kitted halfway down the page http://www.onthewire.co.uk/airscrew.htm
Aug 04, 2011, 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrbaby
offer still stands Ken - retracts for 24,000 files!!!!

heres the Frog plans - I have about 20 more Frog ones
I remember the Frog Se5a Control Liner....had one but it was never finished....since lost many moons ago.

The Frog Tempest...lovely model but pocket money did not stretch to that one. The Vandiver...always desired but my engine was not big enough so the desire was shelved....be great to see any of these 3 again.

Bridon
Aug 04, 2011, 01:38 PM
WMD
WMD
Womble of Model Depiction
Quote:
Originally Posted by algy2
Hi, Kenny E asked for Ray Malstrom and Vic Smeed plans so here are a couple of classics by the legendary Vic Smeed to start with.
Hi Algy,

Nice scans. Good work. I'm looking at the Pushy Catt scan you did (I'm a sucker for Vic Smeed plans) and I would like to have a go at cleaning it up and removing the grey background, but I'm not sure I can do it from this copy. I will have to retype all the text out, and I can't make out what it says in many places. Is there any chance you could do a slightly higher res scan?

Steve.
Aug 04, 2011, 04:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFJ

Anyone with a first edition (November 1935) care to start. I see a one sold on eB*y recently for 128 (just over $200)

Ray
You sure Ray? I am looking at a Febuary 1960 cover with a painting of A Sopwith Pup depicted by Ken McDonough. The Febuary 1968 has a painting of Kittyhawks in action. What they did stop doing was the more art like paintings of one of the models in the magazine and went for the more lifelike paintings. Then they went on to the photo covers.
I do not have a full set of Aeromodellers and 90% of those I have are packed away as I scanned the plans ages ago. Used to buy the mags on ebay but the dealers got involved and the prices went through the roof.

If you want the covers they are often illustrated on the UK ebay site as are many of the American ones which were also great art on the US site.
But as Ray put it lets not fill this thread up with magazine covers
Aug 04, 2011, 06:20 PM
RFJ
RFJ
Quote:
What they did stop doing was the more art like paintings of one of the models in the magazine and went for the more lifelike paintings.
Quite true Aeromeddeler. I guess there was the occasional painted cover after 1950 but, as you say, nothing like the old style arty ones.

I'll perhaps start an Aeromodeller cover thread tomorrow if the weather is not suitable for flying; got to get one's priorities right.

Must admit I rather liked the "models" on some of the earlier politically incorrect RCM covers

Ray
Aug 04, 2011, 06:58 PM
Hi,
Thanks for the feedback from the Vintage Aeromodeller plans and construction articles I have been posting here.

I can also post a scan of the cover of the issues the plans come from at the same time as the plans. But to get an extra thread going just on covers increases the work load quite a bit keeping track of everything with seperate files etc etc.

I am having trouble keeping track of what I am scanning now. Let me know if you just want them posted with the plans. I do agree that these old covers are very nostalgic and I suppose that if you have the cover, the construction article and the plan it is a nice little package. I only posted the cover of the April 49 issue because i thought the Dolphin was such a great looking model.

WMD the scan of the CLassic Vic Smeed Pushy Cat was done at 300dpi and a higher dpi scan would not make much difference and the file size might get to large. But I can do a lighter scan which might help you. Let me know.

I scan all these plans at 300dpi then crop the scan and increase contrast and sharpening a fraction. The only one I had to do at 200dpi was the Ray Malstrom plan because the file size was to large to post at 300dpi.

Cheers
Algy
Aug 04, 2011, 07:10 PM
Thanks gtrbaby,

very cool

Dave
Aug 04, 2011, 07:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridon
I remember the Frog Se5a Control Liner....had one but it was never finished....since lost many moons ago.

The Frog Tempest...lovely model but pocket money did not stretch to that one. The Vandiver...always desired but my engine was not big enough so the desire was shelved....be great to see any of these 3 again.

Bridon
how about ALL three......
Aug 04, 2011, 07:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrbaby

how about ALL three......
tempest file is too big - will compress and upload later
Aug 04, 2011, 09:06 PM
Thanks gtrbaby; nice plans.
John

Quick Reply