This thread is privately moderated by orange&white, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jun 26, 2011, 09:30 AM
Aircraft re-kitter
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkphantom
picas and points!!!!???? weirdo.
Yup, he should be measuring in pel.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 26, 2011, 09:59 AM
De Havilland DH4
Control Line Scale by Walter A Musciano
Wing Span: 42-1/2" per full scale drawing
Air Trails Pictorial May 1949

This model was first posted by Kenny E on page 2, post 29 as non spliced 6 page PDF file.
The second post was by Nibor but at a reduced size.

This post is a spliced full size drawing at 300 dpi and includes OCR'd text and a gray scale photo of Walt's model.

Gene
Jun 26, 2011, 10:45 AM
Someday, I'm going to have to go through my files and see just how many designs by Musciano I have. I have several boats, I think at least one car, and I don't know how many CL and RC planes. I know I have his Staen Island Ferry, but right now, I can't remember if I have the Ferry Terminal for it or not.

I know he designed a HUGE number of control line planes, and several boat and ship models, some rc planes, a couple cl planes he suggested could be easily converted to rc, but I don't think I ever saw a design of his for FF.

My club also had someone who used points and Pica. Moved out some years ago. He was a professional printer.

BTW, I found the mag I got the Zudel Antoinette from. I think I'll do a complete scan of the article to get the wings, eliminate my poor hand written pages, and make sure all parts are uniform. I think my original was scanned from a set of photocopies made at least 10 years ago, so a scan from the mag might not match with scans from older photocopies. Too many possible layers of distortion.

For now, time to get out and do some (hopefully a lot) of flying while the weather hold up.
Last edited by 50+AirYears; Jun 26, 2011 at 10:51 AM.
Jun 26, 2011, 01:03 PM
Walt's designs seem to define the general scale control line movement for the late 40's 50' into the 60's. His Gentile's P-51B really stirred my interest(American Modeler, some time 1960's). I know he also did a fairly large Lockeed Vega for R/C in Jimmy mattern's colorfull red and blue eagle motif.

Must admit a bit of a love /hate conflict towards his models. He could inspire but his designs, like Wylam's scale drawings initially excited but, more often than not, fell flat in the accuracy department, upon even the most cursory of examinations.

This brings to my mind the vast differences between a good or even great model and a good /great scale model. We can appreciate what Musiano contributed to modeling history and possibly our own nostalgic feelings toward the era, but as scale representations of actual aircraft, I found them consistenly disappointing, even when I was being inspired.

Great to see them, but even after allowing for the "state of the art at the time", they make me cringe. Like I said : love/hate. Your results may vary.
Jun 26, 2011, 02:32 PM
I think you have it correct, packardpursuit, but one should remember that in the '50s and '60s when a lot of us were making flying models the scale accuracy factor was pretty much not a real big issue. For some of you it may have been but I know the gang I hung around with would pick out a model that "looked right" and have at it. We were building and flying and crashing and laughing and building some more. I really don't recall getting into caring whether the model was true scale until the late '70s or so in my early RC days. Folks like Musciano and Cal Smith and others like them sure did light our fires with all the great magazine articles. I'd like to think we, as young modelers, were just having lots of fun with our flying models without the scale factor worries.

Soft landings,

Joe
Jun 26, 2011, 07:15 PM
Daddy's pad when mama's mad

Air World Magazine November 1946

Looking for a scan in this issue of the odd old speed plane called the Tiger I have a scan but alas its not a real good one it is in low resolution and will not enlarge very well. this is a super neat ole C/L speed plane in that the plans show an Ohlsson 60 sparker horizontally mounted and built inside the port side wing. I thank it would be really cool to see it posted here come to think of it that issue also had a nice Fokker D-8 by Bill Tyler if some one is lucky enough to have a copy may be thay can scan these two plans post them here.

Kenny
Last edited by kenny e; Jun 26, 2011 at 07:29 PM.
Jun 26, 2011, 07:23 PM
De Havilland DH4

Beautiful work on that one rchopper56

thanks a million

Kenny
Jun 27, 2011, 12:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny e
These are not perfect and just as I got them thay will need a little clean up and to have the scaling checked but I think thay are useable plans

Kenny
Kenny e; now that plan of the KK Radian brought memories flooding back. I built one from the plan when I was about 14. Mike Wilkinson and myself used to go to Prenton Hall Park (just 100 yards from my house then) and fly until it got dark. Mike and I are responsible for having the flying of model aircraft banned in that park until today!).

The Radian was just a great flyer and taught me much about control line flying.

Thanks for the memories.

Mark.
Jun 27, 2011, 01:17 AM

Stinson 150

50+Air Years:

Thanks for trying to find the rest of the Stinson article. Magazine was only 64 years old, too!
Jun 27, 2011, 05:21 AM
Tiger design Kenny E

Control lead outs in "Wrong" wing??? and yes, it would mean flipping engine into other root.

Regards Ian.
Jun 27, 2011, 08:44 AM
Some planes are set up to fly clockwise to counter the engines torque .

Mike1484
Jun 27, 2011, 10:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by packardpursuit
Walt's designs seem to define the general scale control line movement for the late 40's 50' into the 60's. His Gentile's P-51B really stirred my interest(American Modeler, some time 1960's). I know he also did a fairly large Lockeed Vega for R/C in Jimmy mattern's colorfull red and blue eagle motif.

Must admit a bit of a love /hate conflict towards his models. He could inspire but his designs, like Wylam's scale drawings initially excited but, more often than not, fell flat in the accuracy department, upon even the most cursory of examinations.

This brings to my mind the vast differences between a good or even great model and a good /great scale model. We can appreciate what Musiano contributed to modeling history and possibly our own nostalgic feelings toward the era, but as scale representations of actual aircraft, I found them consistenly disappointing, even when I was being inspired.

Great to see them, but even after allowing for the "state of the art at the time", they make me cringe. Like I said : love/hate. Your results may vary.
Walt was also a master practitioner of FF, as there are quite a few of his designs out there.
Errr, the "true scale" tempests in tea pots, etc.: Well lets us just say his designs would fly for anybody. If you knew better, then you were free to redesign to accurate scale detail and have all the glory and sweat to fly it. On the other hand we've all seen so called accurate scale hyper detail the is laughably ludicrous. Several of the super P-47 verions well anointed in various modelling magazines were prime examples (rivets and Dzus fasteners that were grossly over scale.. in faux patterns that bore zero resemblance to the real aircraft construction)... we still rarely encounter scale models the perform at scale speeds. Such are the penalties that Reynolds number (effect) generate. Sort of the IPMS syndrome..fantasy detail for silly unknowing judges.
As you say, the good old firing of imagination which could lead one anywhere is exactly the Musiano gift for us in very large measures...for that we are humbly grateful.
Last edited by victorkm; Jun 27, 2011 at 11:01 AM.
Jun 27, 2011, 11:21 AM

One of my favorite model books by Walt

Got this at a yard sale about 20 years ago for dollar tons of useful info and plans inside some day I'm going to scan this book
Last edited by kenny e; Jun 27, 2011 at 11:46 AM.
Jun 27, 2011, 12:12 PM
old foamie
Does anybody have a copy of the Super Cub version of the Live Wire plane series ? I have seen the Champ version of the plans , but only a picture of it on a ad, unless I have missed it. I guess you could wing it from the champ plans though, but a good copy would help, anybody got one? They must of been rare even back then.
Jun 27, 2011, 02:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circlip
Tiger design Kenny E

Control lead outs in "Wrong" wing??? and yes, it would mean flipping engine into other root.

Regards Ian.
I would just toss the old Ohlsson and put dad's screming Red Head McCoy 60 in it and fly it inverted till I got dizzy and fell on my butt that should take all of about 2 laps.
Last edited by kenny e; Jun 27, 2011 at 02:56 PM.

Quick Reply