This thread is privately moderated by orange&white, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jun 23, 2011, 07:06 PM
50+ & John,
My father was an electronic experimentor but not too soon after he came back from the war you must be right on the escapement. As for the plane a DeBolt Champ were there different models? I found plans for a "Live Wire Champ" mark III woulds there be much difference in them?

Thanks,
Alex
to remove ads between posts
Jun 23, 2011, 08:29 PM
Culper Junior
Alex, DeBolt was the first to kit the Champ but it was later picked up by Midwest. So between the 2 manufacturers there may have been a few upgrades. Having said that, I don't believe Midwest used the 'Live Wire' name, that was DeBolt's property.

Here is a link to a Champ thread on another site. Make sure to scroll all the way to the last post and click on the vintage advertisement of DeBolt products. Your Dad's could have been a Champ or Cub. Note the similarities to the Rebel, another model.
Also, as mention by someone else your description could fit any of a couple dozen models from that era.
Anyhow here's the llink....

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4976

Jim
Last edited by aeronca52; Jun 23, 2011 at 08:34 PM.
Jun 23, 2011, 09:23 PM
Jim, thanks for the info and link, I am sure that I will figure out which of the dozen or so models it is after doing a bit more research... mind you as time goes on memories fade ever so gently!

If you can think of any others that might fit let me know.
Thanks again!!
Alex
Jun 23, 2011, 11:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.B.
FreeFlight57,

Thanks for the "Insect" plan. Do you know what the plastic material used for the sail is?

T.B.
T.B.
Building the Insect is super-simple. The flexible wing is begun by taping one layer of thin dry-cleaner bag to a table top. Actually, you may save time by making a pattern and placing it underneath, to guide you in contact-cementing the keel and sides in the right places. Cut three 1/8" sq. spruce sticks and contact cement them onto the plastic in the arrowhead shape. The rest is on the plans. Have fun
Greg aka FreeFlite57
Jun 23, 2011, 11:23 PM

Tenderfoot Plan - The QUARTER PINT

HerE is another Tenderfoot Plan and logo. Enjoy
Greg Wilson
Jun 23, 2011, 11:57 PM
I aquired a "Half-Pint" from the widow of a FFer MANY miles from where I lived. My buddy knew of my FF interests and having purchased her late husband' model stuff, he forwarded all FF stuff to me. It was one f several complete FF models with engines. I don't think it flew more than a few times as it was too heavy for the Pee Wee. It looked good so hung it up in my shop. Think the kids rekitted it for me. I still have the engine.
Jun 24, 2011, 12:32 AM
OK, lets see if I can finish with most, if not all of my Scale/Semiscale folder tonight. I just went through and found a couple planes that still needed titling and comversin to PDF.

One thing about the Simple P-51. There is no wing plan. The article just provided a semiscale P-51 fuse to be mated with the builder'swing to produce a scale like stunt plane. Thought I'd put it in anyway. I seem to remember another magazine some time in that decase actually had a construction article on "The Perfect Wing", which just attempted to provide an optimized universal symetrical wing. After 28 years in engineering, having had to put up with with programs like Taguchi Methods, I came to hate anything that uses any term related to Optimize. I didn't save the article and plan.

I also have to apologize for the Strader P-51. I started building this one about a month after the issue date, March 1958, i believe. I finished it around 1984. The problem was, the pages which showed the parts were already unuseable, so I had to use photocopies of them that I'd made a couple years earlier. Turns out, I scaled the fuse sides from the magazine (measure, multiply by 4) but the photocopies were undersize. Those undersize copies have gone away years ago. So I don't have them.

Also, the plans and article show a K&B .09, with a very heavy 5 tube Babcock reciever on the old 465 MHz frequency. I built mine with a Max .30RC and a very light Pro Line 4 channel proportional. Some people claim you can't overpower an RC plane. believe me, I could not land this plane with the engine running. I could do consecutive loops all tank long and climb OOS at idle. One could quite probably build this from plans, since the formers mostly are square, with a three sided top 3 piece planking. Shouldn't be too hard to figure out. Wing is a basic thin flat bottom airfoil, with about a 3/16" tip washout. The spar size is dimensioned on the plan. I think the plane originally got R&E from Varicomp cascaded compund escapements. Notice with that simple gear the rudder actuation concept, and the SCALE tailwheel location, steerable and with brake!

Phew! Done with that folder. Now, only RC Sport and Strader designs left. Then, decide which folder I want to do next. Also, I just found a few magazines with plans and articles I haven't scanned yet. Oh, my aching fingers! Might have to take about a week off to title and convert the Rubber powered FF I have. As I said before, that is a BIG folder. It has about 11 sub-folders in it, with plans that would fit the Vintage category. Some of them are from the 1930s. I even have one that is credited with flying in the 1890s. And I think I've previously hinted that there may have been more rubber powered models designed than all the other type all together!
Jun 24, 2011, 12:38 AM
Something I just realized. This time of night, it is not a good idea to sit at the computer typing while watching Man vrs Food. I usually end up being VERY hungry before I gor to sleep. And I feel like taking up some of the challenges. Right now, they're making 2 pound glazed doughnuts.

Can't take it any more. Wanted to start uploading the Strader files. Stomach making too much noise. G'night all!
Jun 24, 2011, 12:49 AM
Daddy's pad when mama's mad
Night 50+ thanks for the plans

Kenny
Last edited by kenny e; Jun 24, 2011 at 01:11 AM.
Jun 24, 2011, 03:57 AM
50+ Just where do these great plans keep coming from??
I may be wrong but the plans listed as a DH98 is not a DH98.
I believe it is a DH91 Albatross (clue is Imperial Airways 'Falcon') and is a 4 engined passenger plane.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Havilland_Albatross

And I think the wing is missing.
Keep up the good work though-I just wish I had more to contribute.
Jun 24, 2011, 06:35 AM
Just been catching up on latest posts. Re the inches v millimeters comments, just to confuse things more, after a lifetime in print I sometimes use picas and points.
Jun 24, 2011, 10:16 AM
Now that I look that DeHavilland plan, I see that the wings ARE missing. I apparently should have looked it over a bit better. I just picked it off another site late at night several weeks ago. Not sure from where right now.
Jun 24, 2011, 10:36 AM
Just did a quick Google on the DH98/91. Apparently, the original source had the plan misslabeled. The plane on the plan is definitely the 91. The 98 was the Mosquito of WW-II fame. The 91 was a 4 engined all-wood passenger liner from the 1930s. Also, apparently, the source I got this from was presenting a partial tiled version of the currently available plane from RCM, as designed by Laddie Mikulasko. It's not a vintage, but rather a 1998 plan. I think I got fooled by the type of box and former construction that was very popular (still is for the rubber scale flyers) decades ago. What's the concensus, should I edit it out? The use of foam might have been a clue, but I somewhere had a copy of a design from around 1964 that used a block of foam for a shaped fuse element. The use of foam obviously isn't that new.

For an aside, doesm't the plane look like it had a lot of influence on the design of the later Lockheed Constellation?

Boy, that was strange. I was logged in, tried to post the above reply, and got an error message to refresh the page and log in again.
Jun 24, 2011, 10:47 AM
As an update to the Tile Print question posed above: Ran off the Lancer 72 and A.B.C. Robin PDFs this morning and they came out nicely tiled and ready for use. Those having trouble importing PDFs into Tile Print should try using Adobe 9 instead of Reader X. The change sure worked for me. Now,.....where did I put that new package of paper and the ink cartridges.....?

Soft landings,

Joe
Jun 24, 2011, 01:46 PM
AMA 667982 KG7NKY WRPN876
Gee, all the fantastic designs here but one seems missing. The Sterling Royal Coachman. What a fantastic design of the time that fit the budget.

Quick Reply