This thread is privately moderated by orange&white, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jun 21, 2011, 02:37 PM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circlip
Just to fan the flames, Proper metric users work in millimeters. Centimeters are used by school kids and knitters.
Regards Ian.
I'll fan the conflagration by suggesting that Proper Proper metric users work in millimetres..... unless you are unfortunate enough to be American, in which case we will excuse the reversal of the final two letters.

I am a child of the change; so I therefore estimate anything smaller than an inch in mil....... it's also so much easier in millimetre than trying to remember whether 3/8" is larger or smaller than 19/64" is larger or smaller than 0.3107".........
to remove ads between posts
Jun 21, 2011, 02:45 PM

Dear PD1: You MIGHT want to try out pdFFactory....

Dear pd1:

The PIPE Here again - just a quick advisory, as I've been using the "virtual printer driver" (as that's HOW it works!) for many years now, that's available for free to try as shareware, and about $50 to register (my copy's long been registered), at

http://fineprint.com/pdf/

for ALL of my PDF file output needs, as it works with any...and I mean ANY...Windows compatible application.

I've already recommended it to AMA District I VP Andy Argenio, as I've recommended it to many, many others...download a trial copy and see if you might find it useful as well.

A "quick one" to Colonel Blink...I'm QUITE capable in either "customary" OR metric systems, and which I use, at least for scale aircraft drawings/model construction drawings, depends on the nation of origin of the fullscale aircraft I'm copying in miniature!

Yours sincerely,

The PIPE....!!
Last edited by The PIPE; Jun 21, 2011 at 02:51 PM.
Jun 21, 2011, 02:47 PM
Sic itur ad Astra
Good point Colonel!
Jun 21, 2011, 03:22 PM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Blink
I'll fan the conflagration by suggesting that Proper Proper metric users work in millimetres..... unless you are unfortunate enough to be American, in which case we will excuse the reversal of the final two letters.

I am a child of the change; so I therefore estimate anything smaller than an inch in mil....... it's also so much easier in millimetre than trying to remember whether 3/8" is larger or smaller than 19/64" is larger or smaller than 0.3107".........
Personally, I'm going metric inch by inch! Being a child of the 1940's I was naturally educated in imperial measures, but was still young enough to pick up metric later, so I have the best of both worlds which I reckon is a real advantage. For the first few years we were in France I drove an ex-UK car with a m.p.h. speedometer and never had any problem with the speed limits - mental conversion is easy, just multiply by 6 and move the decimal place. I am also fine with grams, millimetres, litres etc. When I am building a model, I use whichever side of the ruler is most convenient, hence many of my own designs are really mixtures of metric and imperial dimensions. HOWEVER, I do have difficulty visualising whether a fuel consumption of 15 kilometres per litre is good or bad, and always have to convert to miles per gallon. And as far as wing loadings are concerned??? Is 50 grams per square decimetre loading OK for a particular model??? I have no idea without sitting down and doing the math, and thus stick to good old ounces per square foot where I know instantly what 8 ounces per square foot or whatever figure means in performance terms.

So I am mostly happy to use either - but I DON'T buy the argument that metric is "easier" or "more logical" - it is only easier if that is what you were taught, if you were brought up with a thorough understanding of it, imperial measurement is just as easy, and just as logical. If all the countries that use metric had changed to imperial, instead of vice-versa, everything would still work equally as well and the world would not grind to a standstill.
Jun 21, 2011, 03:31 PM
What I really appreciated when my company decided that we had to start dimensioning ALL our product drawings for both methods, initially in a combination Inch(mm)(1.00"(2,54xxxmm), then later mm(Inch)2,54 mm(1.000") formats, they tried to do a math conversion. Found out doing it that way introduced so many rounding errors that many drawings had to be expunged and direct measurements had to be made. No problem when all pieces were being made in the US, where the Imperial method was the standard measurement, but when we started shipping production out of the country, the errors REALLY showed up with press fits and piston/cylinder and other fits that needed a free running but pneaumatic or hydraulic sealing fit. Eventually we obtained a software drafting (draughting?) CAD package that gave accurate measurements in either format.

I just did a quick look through my files, thinking I had at least 2 different CR-3 files, one for the regular size FAC competition, and one for Peanut rubber, but apparently both were in the large amount of older paper copies I had to delete from my attic. And I had wanted to build one for local competition, since with the large, long body in relation to wingspan, they seem to do quite in FAC Thompson mass launch. They can fit quite a length of rubber for a very long motor run.

As far as PDF size or other posting items, I'm pretty limited on what I can do on my wife's computer. She seems to get somewhat upset when she finds me downloading another program. She sometimes thinks that cause the periodic slowdowns, or even the occasions when she looses something she's working on. In fact, if it were up to here, I wouldn't even be accepting the periodic updates on our two antivirus programs. For my own use, I just submit to Tileprint, call out a dimension on the drawing, and hit enter. Once in a while, I have to print out the original drawing, rescan it into a jpeg, then submit it to Tileprint. I also have a couple utilities that supposedly convert certain bitmaps to .dwg/.dxf, but the results often seem to need quite a bit of editing effort. Bsides, I no longer have chep access to a plotter that can handle a full size engineering E or larger drawing, I THINK my current printer MAY be able to do 8.5" by 14" (American Legal size.) Also miss the printer I used to have next to my desk, even if it was a department share. it could do up to 11" by 17" (IIR, engineering C size.)

Maybe next year, if some financial situations get resolved, I can get myself a laptop with wireless, and not be dependent on our current timeshare arrangement. Of course, by then, I'll probably be finished with most of my uploads.

As far as using MM vrs. CM, I remember discussing with a German Army sgt the relative merits of the American 105 mm howitzer and the German 1,05 CM field piece. I think by the time the discussion ended, we were more concerned about who's turn it was to buy the next beer! Seargents is Seargents. We kept our priorities straight.
Last edited by 50+AirYears; Jun 21, 2011 at 03:42 PM.
Jun 21, 2011, 03:34 PM
>If all the countries that use metric had changed to imperial

They'll get there eventually - metrication is just a passing fad.

Like radio control .......

Jun 21, 2011, 04:47 PM
Vic Smeeds Pander as promised

Pander eg 100 36 & 3/4" FF scale sesquiplane ( dont know what a sesquiplane is then download the plan and read the build notes)
Jun 21, 2011, 04:51 PM

Musciano cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by planeman
I know I am going to get crucified by some of you for putting these up on the site, however many of us old farts will remember seeing these and building some of these in our youth. I particularly recall the Monogram cars and built most of them.

I have had my last meal and have just finished smoking that last cigarette. The blindfold is on and I am standing in front of the wall. Fire at will.

Planeman
That brought back memories of my first model car kit, which was a Cavacraft balsa Sir William Campbell Bluebird for C02. I ordered it out of a 'Sicle Ball' catalog for some unremembered number of popsicle wrappers and probably $.50.

Walt Musciano also did a solid model of the same car in his book on building scale model cars. I have that book, which also has a Firebird, a Ferrari, an MG Roadster, a 'round the pole' midget racer, and a DUCK, among others.

Recently, I have thought the Firebird would make an interesting model for ducted fan, as it was originally designed for jetex power.

If we had some place in the forums (that would not result in a crucifixion ), I could probably dig out the book and post some scans.

Pete G.
Jun 21, 2011, 05:08 PM
Daddy's pad when mama's mad
P J Glor

Please post the scans
Jun 21, 2011, 05:12 PM
I would like to see the models in that book I'm a big Musciano fan
Last edited by kenny e; Jun 21, 2011 at 05:25 PM.
Jun 21, 2011, 05:23 PM

model car

Quote:
Originally Posted by P_J_Glor
That brought back memories of my first model car kit, which was a Cavacraft balsa Sir William Campbell Bluebird for C02. I ordered it out of a 'Sicle Ball' catalog for some unremembered number of popsicle wrappers and probably $.50.

Walt Musciano also did a solid model of the same car in his book on building scale model cars. I have that book, which also has a Firebird, a Ferrari, an MG Roadster, a 'round the pole' midget racer, and a DUCK, among others.

Recently, I have thought the Firebird would make an interesting model for ducted fan, as it was originally designed for jetex power.

If we had some place in the forums (that would not result in a crucifixion ), I could probably dig out the book and post some scans.

Pete G.
ready to be crucifixed
Last edited by p.balsi; Jan 18, 2015 at 01:26 AM.
Jun 21, 2011, 05:34 PM
If thay are going to crucify you guys then thay have to take me too

P.S. The wife calls me Lucifer all the time so just tell'em I made you do it
Jun 21, 2011, 05:40 PM
Thanks p.balsi very nice
Jun 21, 2011, 05:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny e
If thay are going to crucify you guys then thay have to take me too

P.S. The wife calls me Lucifer all the time so just tell'em I made you do it
we will burn forever in a hell of model cars (and aircraft of course)...
did someone to join us?

thanks Pit
Jun 21, 2011, 06:23 PM
Edubarca
Quote:
Originally Posted by planeman
I love this boat 50+AirYears!!! Please give us all of your Sterling scans! I really hope you can give us the Sterling 'Mr. Mulligan" U-control plan. This one is the one I made my mother buy when I was eight years old. I took it home and got my Dad to build it as I watched. This model was far beyond my capabilities then but I quickly learned from this. It was the first model airplane I ever saw or "built", built being in quotation marks as it was my Dad who really did the building.

Planeman
Hello Rufus, why didn't you tell me before? I have the Sterling Mr. Mulligan plan, control line 32" wingspan. I will scan it and rush it to you so you can restore and post it here.

Quick Reply