This thread is privately moderated by orange&white, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jun 20, 2011, 10:21 AM
Thank you
edit - WOW - amazing!!!!!
Last edited by owlsabie; Jun 20, 2011 at 10:30 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 20, 2011, 10:47 AM
High Exalted Poohbah
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny e
Good morning Planeman
Good morning Kenny.

Planeman
Jun 20, 2011, 10:51 AM
Challenger, I rechecked the PDF for the p3 of my submission on the Multibug. I'm not sure what happened. The pdf I made from a cleaned up plan was squashed as you say. I deleted and redid it, and the second try at a pdf also came out squashed. Apparently something in the original .jpg. Let me try sending the jpeg I worked from.

I'm also old and disgusted. Too tired to be cranky.

Owlsabie, I had a scan for the Schoolboy on the same group as the Schoolgirl, page 301, post 4504. I had a schoolgirl from the TF kit. Flew fine on a Black widow. Then I installed a Cox Dragonfly, with the circular throttle. Plane became a dog. Stil flew, but very slowly, couldn't gain any altitude. Staggered around the air for probably 10-12 minutes, but surprisingly, could still loop and roll. The DF was about 2000 rpm slower, plus the extra weight of the S3103 and pushrod really penalized the plane.
Last edited by 50+AirYears; Jun 20, 2011 at 11:01 AM.
Jun 20, 2011, 11:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by planeman
Assuming that I am "RC" (Rufus Carswell), I don't recall that I ever said anything about not scanning in grayscale. I ALWAYS scan in grayscale and go through the Photoshop procedures as outlined in that article.

That is a very good article by the way. All of us plan "restorers" should read it.

Planeman (RC)
No not you Rufus it was referring to RCchopper56.I was so impressed with his post of the Cruiser https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=4471 he was recommending scanning in line art mode if you have it. I started to investigate line art mode (not an option on my canon software) but found it was only directly into bitmap with the option of descreening, and not very good on the demo software I tried. Only problem was the scanning software he is using cost 100`s $. Most of the scanning software out there just uses fancy names Line Art,newspaper magazine glossy magazine ect for preset scan features such as backlight correction, descreen, autotone ect which are all available individually with the software that came with my scanner. So its horses for course I guess but I found Line art mode is no good for scanning out of the model magazines with my equipment.
Jun 20, 2011, 12:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50+AirYears
Challenger, I rechecked the PDF for the p3 of my submission on the Multibug. I'm not sure what happened. The pdf I made from a cleaned up plan was squashed as you say. I deleted and redid it, and the second try at a pdf also came out squashed. Apparently something in the original .jpg. Let me try sending the jpeg I worked from.
Load PDF directly into Photoshop and it is not squashed but greatly reduced to 3"+ width. Is squashed in Gimp??? Jpeg only 72dpi gives you a fuzzy warm feeling when resized

So have full sized - not 100% clear but useable. Best I could do in the time available before tea and restraining the Ginger Winger (Cat) from throwing himself on the keyboard

If you are after the Multibug plan a much higher resolution copy posted

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=4611
Last edited by aeromeddeler; Jun 22, 2011 at 10:43 AM. Reason: updated plan
Jun 20, 2011, 01:44 PM
WMD
WMD
Womble of Model Depiction
Quote:
Originally Posted by planeman
Steve, I want to say that I have just visited your website and I want to complement you on a VERY well thought out layout. The thumbnails are a great way of browsing through the listing (names don't always mean much and there are so many of them) and holding your cursor over the thumbnail gives you a name. Clicking on the thumbnail brings up a page with a larger view of the plan (which should be a little bit larger) and a lengthy description. A quick click of the "back button" in your browser quickly takes you back to the thumbnails again. It all works logically, quickly and efficiently and is well laid out. WELL DONE! Its the best I have seen so far. Planeman
Thanks. It's getting there, now. I like to think about now we are maybe say around halfway to something very very good. Hopefully. I think I have to agree with you about the size of the thumbnail images though. It is always a tradeoff between filesize and image quality. I started too small, with the idea of 320 x 240 as the standard size, just so we could load say a hundred of them pretty fast (but then then we also display them a lot at half size too). On reflection, I think giving the user a better view - at the price of a slower page load - is probably... another job to add to the to-do list.

Thanks again,
Steve
Jun 20, 2011, 02:44 PM
Sic itur ad Astra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer
Hi Owl. As per my post of a few minutes ago - easy way, go to http://www.outerzone.co.uk/ and search for Schoolboy. So easy!
What a great resource guys! Double wow!
Jun 20, 2011, 03:20 PM
Boy, I almost ignored these. As I said earlier, shortly before I got laid off, I was starting to scan old Sterling plans and traced parts sheets. I was using a 36" bed scanner as part of the company's record system. Used for a lot of things, both company and G-job. Company was pretty liberal about letting us use things like scnners, lab equipment, and machine shop after work. We even had a couple ODBII scanners actually for our development work, but which could be borrowed for a weekend or overnight. Even took home a couple high speed 4 channel o'scopes a couple times.

Anyway, I was going to leave these for another time, but then decided to look them over, and found that while I do have a few pages as large as 16+ Mb, most are under the 3.0 Mb limit for uploading PDFs, so here is something a little bit different!

Just before I got out of the AF in 1968, I raided the PX and bought quite a large collection of Sterling kits, including this Catalina cruiser, the Battleship Missouri, and the C-2 Freight American Scout, the extra cost fittings kits, and 3 of the larger Sterling motors. I only had time to scan the plans, not the parts sheets.
Jun 20, 2011, 03:34 PM
And here's another indeterminate oldie. This P-61 was sold under many names, including IIRC, Kyosho, Eureka, Aristo-Craft. All the formers are clean saw cut, not die cut or die crush. Many are of a ply or something similar to spruce. A couple nice spun cowls. And to top it off, a not too scale looking set of Sprung Telescopic landing gear struts. All this for only $29.95 in the mid 50's through maybe late 1960's. Just wish I could have found the kit they had for the CL B-36D. 112 inch span, intended for 6 .19 and up engines, and 4 Jetex. At least a couple of these behemoths were apparently converted to RC in the 60's. The had a number of single engine planes, 8 ior 10 multi engined, and 5 or 6 for pulse jet engines, either Tiger Jet or Dyna Jet.
Added 06/23/11 @ 1346 hrs EDST.
Oh! Boy!! Screwed up again. Thanks, Z1007, for letting me know. That single missing former turned out to be 2 plan pages and 2 parts pages. Sorry I didn't get photos of the sprung LG, but they actually aren't particularly scale, I think. Might do it later, anyway.
Last edited by 50+AirYears; Jun 23, 2011 at 12:47 PM.
Jun 20, 2011, 03:55 PM
One of the last large Sterling RC kits made prior to the Estes takeover, the Olympic Challenger, for .19 to .35. Can hold up to about a 6 ounce tank. Nice looking.

The die cut parts scans aren't the clearest, since I traced the cuts with a soft lead drafting pencil. I think the scans kind of show the variation in hardness of balsa used, which was a hallmark of Sterling kits. I seem to remember a report in an old American Modeler that Manulkin of Sterling was one of the original developers of die cutting, AKA Die Crushing.

I did try to put 6" scales on the plans, and the sheet sizes on the die cut sheets before scanning them.
Jun 20, 2011, 04:02 PM
How about an old Berkeley CL Scale kit? Die cutting about as good as Sterlings, slightly better quality balsa. No scans of die cut sheets, I think most parts are on the plans. I'm going to have to nurse the decal sheets, the are 12 and 13 Mb. Won't upload too easily.
Jun 20, 2011, 04:12 PM
And, before I take a break for hunneydos and supper, there's a cute little .049 CL job from Sterling.

Just hapened to notice. On parts sheet 2, it appears the wood shifted on the longest piece as it became the last section going through the scanner's feed rollers. This was driving me NUTS on this project.

The piece should be straight it's whole length. IIRC, it was a series of partly circular sawn pieces, something like Comet did for their stripwood. The wider strips are 5/8" wide as marked. Looks like I'm going to have to find the box and see what thickness the sheets are. I'm surprised I didn't mark this. I did in most of the other kits I scanned. I THINK the bottom, doublers, and such on that sheet are 3/32", and the other sheet is 1/16", but I could be wrong. And my wife'll probably say that goes without saying.
Last edited by 50+AirYears; Jun 20, 2011 at 04:22 PM.
Jun 20, 2011, 04:54 PM
Daddy's pad when mama's mad

Wow now thats what I'm talk'in bout

Holy damn 50+ Christmas came in June this year

Thank You Sir
Kenny
Jun 20, 2011, 06:08 PM
Loved this - found it whilst looking for metric to imperial sizes for balsa

Metric or Imperial..?? The answer is easy:

When you are young and have good eyesight, you use Metric as the graduations and numbers on rulers are small and fine and you want to impress, when you're becoming old buggers with not so good eyesight like us, you go for Imperial as the numbers on the rulers are larger and easier to read - no need for accuracy, you can build on your experience.......

Original source Bundubasher

Applys to me (but i an an old imperialist anyway)
Dont know who bundubasher is but whilst I love building the planes my skill level is Balsa Basher
Jun 20, 2011, 06:38 PM
Edubarca
Several comments:
1) Sterling was indeed one of the die cut developers. I once visited Ed Manulkin in Philadelphia and he showed me how he made dies for balsa cutting. He had a guy who specialized in this job. Die cut parts were never accurate as laser parts or even printed parts and cut with X-acto knives.

2) Metric system is logical, imperial system is not!!!! I do sincerely hope that the US finally eliminates that stupid inch and sticks to centimetres

Quick Reply