Vintage & Old-Timer Plans PRE 1960 PLANS ONLY - Page 301 - RC Groups
This thread is privately moderated by orange&white, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jun 19, 2011, 02:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeromeddeler
RC Chopper and other interested parties. Found a very interesting article on scanning line art in Photshop.
http://graphicdesign.spokanefalls.ed...t/line_art.htm

after reading this perhaps RC will change his mind about not scanning in greyscale
Aeromeddeler, I know that you mean well. Most of what is discussed at that site I can do with a line art scan with my SV ScanRaster software coupled with the settings available to me with my scanner. I also have Scan2Cad which I use when I have a grayscale or color scan. Scan2Cad is good for isolating colors and or shades of gray. Both SV ScanRaster and Scan2Cad were purchased for converting raster files to vector for CAD. As I learned to use them, I soon became aware of how useful they are for editing raster files.

I have a two fold concern when I create a PDF file. True, I cannot get the fine detail of their illustrations but I can achieve a respectable representation along with a small file size. Adobe Acrobat does a good job at compressing a bit file but SV ScanRaster is even better at G4 compression and that is what I value the most.

I realize that very few people have the software that I have so I suggest that you all follow Planeman's advice. I lucked out in that the last job that I had purchased my software for me.

Gene
to remove ads between posts
Jun 19, 2011, 05:03 PM
Here's a couple RC Gliders, one a plank (straight flying wing, and the other one was kitted by Cox sometimne in the early 70's.
Jun 19, 2011, 05:10 PM
Scott R/C Time Pilot
Awesome plans 50+ Do you have any Mark Smith gliders ? Marks Models: Windfree, Windward, and Wanderer?

Thanks

Scott
Jun 19, 2011, 05:58 PM
Those two are the only older RC Gliders I have.

Here's a couple from Fran McElwee. The SS-5 saucer is a bit light in some spots. That was a problem in the original magazine article. One of the plans has an interesting drawing for a proportional control system. I haven't seen the original article in years, so I'd guess it was some kind of reversible motor operated by a single channel radio through a pulse proportional system. Back in 1951, when the Chariot was designed, there wasn't too much in the way of multi channel RC.
Jun 19, 2011, 06:22 PM
Here's part one of a three part series on RC endurance flying. I think I did at one time have all three parts. At the time, most planes were controlled by escapements, which were usually driven by a wound rubber band. Just think of flying a plane where the number of turns you can make are dependant on not using up all the winds in the band. Now just think of what could happen if the band broke.

I seem to recall in part 2 or 3 a scheme was tried to use a spring loaded electric motor to wind the rubber periodicaly. However, appaently it didn't work out. I'm not sure just how long a flight they eventually got. I do remember a similar article in Flying Models where a group of control line flyers got together and had a very long flight by running a long length of fuel line with the control lines, and used a pump to provide in-flight refueling.
Last edited by 50+AirYears; Jun 19, 2011 at 06:37 PM.
Jun 19, 2011, 07:28 PM
50+ the Drake II file you posted is the thumbnail off Uncle Williams site. In fact the Drake II is one of the 3 free plans he allows you to download.
To save everyone rushing over there I have posted all three

Douglas C47

Drake II

Sopwith Camel

so its a big thank you to 50+ for the many many good plans he has uploaded and a small round of applause to the willy one for great copy of the Drake II

The original Drake from MAN November 1951 is also on our thread
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=1717
Jun 19, 2011, 08:58 PM
In Rc for a LONG TIME FFAA#1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50+AirYears
How about some old Ken Willard designs?

50+ you have brought a tear to this rc'rs eye, I have built the cannon when i was a young gaffer ( found the magazine on the street in the late 70's or early 80s ) and built it, it flew great but hey moms doing the clean up and well it got smashed boy was i ticked, but hey i got a extra big allowance the following week and was able to pick up some more goodies for the hobby.

one thing do you have ken's pop bottle and umbrella plane i can't remember what it was called but it used the plastic bottle for the fuse and was v tail that used parts from a broken umbrella for controlling the v tail
Jun 19, 2011, 09:30 PM
Scott R/C Time Pilot
Thanks 50+
Jun 19, 2011, 11:22 PM
Thanks for the info on the Drake II. I used to have the original MAN issue with the FF Drake, and I think the RCM that had the Drake II. The disapeared before I started copying, which was about 20 years before I started scanning.

The car plans got me to wondering. Back in the 1950's, there was a company called Maco, or Mearco, or something like that that had a small line of balsa wood tank kits with a similar construction to those Ace cars. The one I had, after assembling and sanding the parts, the treads were assembled with a method slightly more complex than the molded soft plastic used on today's plastic tank kits. A gauze strip was wound around the sprocket, idler, and road wheels, then strips of balsa cut into IIRC 3/4" wide lengths were glued individually to the gauze.

No, I don't haave the pop bottle/umbrella plane, at least not that I know of.
Jun 19, 2011, 11:22 PM
Hey Guys,

I've just stumbled across this thread, and after a few days of looking and a couple of lovely emails to Planeman, I thought I'd chime in and say thanks to all, especially WMD, for all the plans and the great web site/depository. It's been a great way to spend the week.

Keep 'em Flying

Kenny
Jun 19, 2011, 11:38 PM

SAAB Safir, Bucker Bestmann

Does anyone have a drawing for either or both of these? The Bucker was kittred for r/c a long while ago and I think the SAAB was published as a magazine plan in the UK. I haven't seen any available for sale in years. Thanks!
Jun 20, 2011, 12:07 AM
Let's see if I can get these (25?) plans loaded. A couple uploads I did today went through fairly quickly, while later things slowed down patheticly.

Started to say that Luck intruded, and uploads were happening quickly, then the Webpage timed out, and I seem to have lost what I'd uploaded.

Well, if at first you don't succeed and all that.

Cement Mixer - a very interesting rudder only pusher from around 1950-51.
Das Ugly Stick - A CAD rendition of a later Vintage Classic.
Das Liddle Stick - A reduced size versin of the .60 sized Ugly Stick.
3 old Berkeley designs. May already have been uploaded previously, not sure. May even have downloaded them from here. Been handling so many files for the last few months, I sometimes loose track.
Kwick FLy, a classic by IIRC Phil Kraft.
Lil Esquire, an .049 version of an early Midwest .15 powered RO classic.
Jun 20, 2011, 12:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50+AirYears
How about some old Ken Willard designs?
50+; Fantastic on the Ken Willard designs. Occasionally Dad would come home with a RCM or Model Airplane News or Model Builder that he bought at Stan Catchpoles in Liverpool. I would drool over these american designs for hours (and occasionally build one). Unfortunately radio control was out of my reach at the time - but not now. Now then, which to build first.

Mark.
Jun 20, 2011, 01:13 AM
Here's another batch. I'm starting to understand the old Stand up comic saying "I've got a million!"

In this batch, the 1/2 Wave is an .049 sport RO from an old Flying Models plan listing, like a number of others were. At least one, I seem to remember, the Brooke's Rebel, may have won a World Championship or two. The Goods' Multibug was an upgrade to the brothers' earlier RO Rudderbug for the development of their TTPW (Two Tone Pulse Width) proportional system. Fairly large plane for the time, powered IIR the AT article, by a Fox .35 CL stunt engine with an add-on rotary exhaust throttle, turning an 11-4 or 11-5 prop.

Phil Kraft, owner of Kraft Radio. I remember an article in Pop Science about a kit built reduced size man carrying F4U Corsair (Think something larger than 75% scale! He used a set of his KP-15-II servos to give him electrical trim instead of manual trim.

Talk about antique. Look over the CQ plan. Notice the Arden .19 engine. I believe the Arden .099 was the first successful glow engine on the market, followed by the .19. Notice how the rather fragile reciever was suspended by rubber bands to isolate the tube and the 'Sensitive' relay from engine vibratio. I once built a reciever from a magazine article using the RK-61 shown on the drawing. It was a gas filled tube, not a vacuum (Valve, for those who speak English)tube. When you keyed the transmitter, the tube glowed with a purple glow, at lest the rcvr I built. Fun trying to build with these miniature wire leaded tubes Like the RK-61 Gas tube, or the 1AG4 vacuume tube, was the instruction sheet that came with the tube warning against touching the wire leads with any part of the body. Apparently, skin oils could migrate from the fingers though the glass to lead seal, and contaminate the internal components.

The only point of fondness I have for the tubes was that although they were "subminiature", for the day, they were fantastically larger and easier to solder into a board than today's 523 package tomponents or 01005 passive components