Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
This thread is privately moderated by orange&white, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jun 14, 2011, 05:04 PM

Sized up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeromeddeler
Thanks for posting its a Lovely plan.
Excuse the pun but Towner certainly went to town on his plans.
Now did you mean you mean you reduced the plan to 20% because as posted it was about 9" by 10" . Have full sized I hope. Perhaps you can check it against your original as I have had to go by the 43" span quoted on the plan.
Hi Aeromeddeler. This sizing stuff is as arcane to me as stitching. Here are the steps I took and the numbers:
1) original psd. scans - image size = 39.307" X 46.56" (45.9 mb)
2) resized psd. scans by 50% - image size = 19.653" X 23.28" (17.3 mb)
3) saved as a .jpg file - image size = 19.65" X 23.28" (1.77 mb)
4) PDF'd the .jpg (that sounds vaguely obscene) (2.35 mb)
to remove ads between posts
Jun 14, 2011, 05:04 PM
Curious
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie 1930
Hello again folks. Was just waxing nostalgic while I looked at some of your old magazine posts. When I was a kid (maybe 9 or 10) back in the pre-war 1930s there used to be ready made flying models (probably from Japan) that were made from a kind of wire soldered together, open fuselage not covered, wings and tail covered in very light silk. They had a wing span of about 12 -14" and were rubber powered. Used to be able to buy them at department store toy counters. I don't recall how well they flew, but they were a real work of art; delicate, neat and cheap. Since they were ready made, imported toys, I know there were no kits or plans for them. Just wondered if anyone else remembers them. Who knows, maybe even has an old photo of one. Carry on boys, and happy landings. Bernie1930
I recall having a few of the wire planes at different times in the early '50's. I forgot and left one in the front yard overnight. When I remembered it in the morning the dew had shrunk all the silk such that it removed itself from the framework. All I have left of it now is the wooden propeller and prop hook.
David
Jun 14, 2011, 05:12 PM

3 from Model Aircraft

Railcar 66" span beginners R/C specialy designed with many unusal features Model Aircraft February 1959.

Saab 19A 40" span twin engined C/L scale model. Model Aircraft February 1959.

Satellite 43" span semi scale C/L stunt model for 2.5 - 3.5cc. Model Aircraft February 1959.
Jun 14, 2011, 05:21 PM
I had a couple of those wire frame silk covered planes in the late 50s. At least for me, the never seemed to fly as well as the Walker or Guillow or North Pacific balsa jobs.
Jun 14, 2011, 05:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nibor
Hi Aeromeddeler. This sizing stuff is as arcane to me as stitching. Here are the steps I took and the numbers:
1) original psd. scans - image size = 39.307" X 46.56" (45.9 mb)
2) resized psd. scans by 50% - image size = 19.653" X 23.28" (17.3 mb)
3) saved as a .jpg file - image size = 19.65" X 23.28" (1.77 mb)
4) PDF'd the .jpg (that sounds vaguely obscene) (2.35 mb)
Looks like I got close my resize came out at 39.5 x 46.8
you dont say what dpi you are saving at. I used 300dpi .or if you are colour or greyscale.

try planemans tips of
image/adjust/posterise at 2 levels
change mode from jpg to bmp
save as bmp - this produces a very large file but Adobe shrinks bmp files like no other
PDF the bitmap

Not every image likes being posterised then you just have to reduce the dpi of a jpg most full size images will stand being reduced to 72 dpi a still be fine.
Jun 14, 2011, 06:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeromeddeler
Looks like I got close my resize came out at 39.5 x 46.8
you dont say what dpi you are saving at. I used 300dpi .or if you are colour or greyscale.

try planemans tips of
image/adjust/posterise at 2 levels
change mode from jpg to bmp
save as bmp - this produces a very large file but Adobe shrinks bmp files like no other
PDF the bitmap

Not every image likes being posterised then you just have to reduce the dpi of a jpg most full size images will stand being reduced to 72 dpi a still be fine.
Yup, I've tried to follow guidance from Planeman, PD1 and yourself - I think it has only served to make me dangerous. I have been scanning in gray scale at 300 dpi. I tried scanning as Tifs but that seemed to make very large files indeed so went back to jpg. I posterize the psd scans when assembled and again posterize the jpg before making into a pdf

I've now reached the end of the airplane plans I have that meet the generally accepted definition of 'vintage' here on the forum; apart from some simple boat plans that I'll save for when and if the forum members have a change of mind regarding including them here.

thanks for your help
Jun 14, 2011, 06:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nibor
I've now reached the end of the airplane plans I have that meet the generally accepted definition of 'vintage' here on the forum; apart from some simple boat plans that I'll save for when and if the forum members have a change of mind regarding including them here.

thanks for your help
Well thank for the great plans you have posted.
We seem to posting the boat plans here

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ighlight=plans

not to many yet but heres hoping . If you have other plans you want to post the Hippocket site will post them there are lots of post 70`s plans there.

http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_plans/index.php
Jun 14, 2011, 08:39 PM

Plan Request- Nakajima Kate

Does any one have the Nakajima Kate plan by M. F. Hawkins?
It was published in Aeromodeller.

The only Kate model plan ever published in a modelling magazine as far as I know.

Any detailed magazine 3 Views will also be welcome.

Thanks in advance.

MM
Jun 14, 2011, 08:45 PM
Edubarca
I think it was published in Model Aircraft, I have some Model Aircraft, but I'm lazy to look for. If you give me the issue, perhaps I have it and I can scan and post it here
Jun 15, 2011, 03:57 AM
RFJ
RFJ
Model Mad,

These from Model Aircraft October 1962 & Profile Publication #141

Ray
Last edited by RFJ; Jun 15, 2011 at 06:37 AM.
Jun 15, 2011, 07:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edubarca
I think it was published in Model Aircraft, I have some Model Aircraft, but I'm lazy to look for. If you give me the issue, perhaps I have it and I can scan and post it here
No need to be lazy just go to Colin Ushers site

http://www.colinusher.info/Model%20A...s/aeromags.htm

and download the indexes for Aeromodeller and Model Aircraft
Jun 15, 2011, 07:54 AM

RCM Touchdown .15

Hi Guys

Has anyone got the plan and maybe the article for the Touchdown, a .15 size (42" span) low wing from RC Modeler in the mid to late 60's +- 1967?

Thanks

Sr. Falcon
Jun 15, 2011, 08:01 AM
here you go model mad Rays scan of the Kate full sized for you as Ray (nice chap that he is) always posts a nice high dpi scan.
also couple more 3 views
Jun 15, 2011, 08:24 AM

Consolidated PT-1

Sorry for the boo-boo. Hope no one is offended.
Last edited by Bernie 1930; Jun 15, 2011 at 12:12 PM.
Jun 15, 2011, 10:09 AM
Thanks for the nice PT-1 plan, Bernie!

Soft landings,

Joe

Quick Reply