This thread is privately moderated by orange&white, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Feb 25, 2011, 11:18 PM
Isaiah 40:31
Ok, I don't know if I'll ever get to it, but how about a Corbin Ace?
Just askin'.

Rc
to remove ads between posts
Feb 25, 2011, 11:39 PM
North Mankato, MN
Ercoupe plans by Berkeley
Thank you Edubarca
I had a 130 inch gas ercoupe and sometime I would like to build an electric one a little smaller. thanks again
Mike
Feb 26, 2011, 12:25 AM
1956 man
Feb 26, 2011, 05:03 AM
The Swedish Yankee
I have a quick question for you modeling Dudes & Dudettes.
I have seen the word "Wakefield" used on a couple models here and mentioned on The Plans Page.
Is this a certain "class" of flying model? Or type?

Also an update on the "Plans Index" - it is still in progress. I had some time to work on it a couple times. It's mighty impressive folks. You people have downloaded around 1300 plans and I'm not done putting everything into the excel spread sheet yet. I GIVE YOU ALL A STANDING OVATION! KUDOS!
Have a good day everybody.
Chris
Feb 26, 2011, 05:30 AM
Wakefield

... is a free-flight rubber power competition class.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_fl...Rubber-powered

i.e. what became the F1B class. Here's modern example:
F1B Wakefield Promo (FreeFlight) (3 min 33 sec)

The rules have changed over time, especially the amount of rubber that is allowed.

http://www.ctie.monash.edu.au/hargra...ff_models.html
"
Class F1B, also known as Wakefield (after the Wakefield Cup presented to the World Champion), is the oldest competition class in model aviation.
Wakefield is for aircraft powered by 'extensible motors'; ie rubber motors. Current rules allow a 190 gramme airframe to carry a maximum of 40 grammes of rubber
Modern Wakefields have many refinements compared to their predecessors back in 1928

"

EDIT:
Found the FAI history on Wakefield/F1B, some line drawings too, to show what the models looked like.
http://www.fai.org/aeromodelling/freeflight/wakefield
Last edited by perttime; Feb 26, 2011 at 05:57 AM.
Feb 26, 2011, 08:09 AM

Sorry for the Mix-up...Should be "Loutrel Speedster - not Sportster"

The third is for the Loutrel Sportster (1930's)....Not the Loutrel Speedster! The Sportster was later renamed as the "Pioneer".
Well, apparently I have the facts reversed...Should have read as the following...The third is for the Loutrel "Speedster" (1930's)....Not the Loutrel "Sportster"! The Speedster was later renamed as the "Pioneer".
Sincerely,
Jon B. Shereshaw
Gladstone, NJ.

Sincerely,
Jon B. Shereshaw
Gladstone, NJ.
Feb 26, 2011, 08:14 AM
The Swedish Yankee
Thanks Perttime,
The links were some really useful info for us first timers
I appreciate you putting in all that info. It gave me some answers to other acronyms, words and phrases that I have seen but had no idea what they meant.
Thanks again, Chris
Feb 26, 2011, 08:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swankee
Thanks Perttime,
The links were some really useful info for us first timers
I appreciate you putting in all that info.
Knowing what to look for, it only took me a few minutes to sort the Google results...

... I haven't been there and done all, but I've been listening and reading about miniature aircraft for a few decades ...
Feb 26, 2011, 09:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonB
The third is for the Loutrel Sportster (1930's)....Not the Loutrel Speedster! The Sportster was later renamed as the "Pioneer".
Well, apparently I have the facts reversed...Should have read as the following...The third is for the Loutrel "Speedster" (1930's)....Not the Loutrel "Sportster"! The Speedster was later renamed as the "Pioneer".
Sincerely,
Jon B. Shereshaw
Gladstone, NJ.

I have a scan of the Pioneer from Model Builder Magazine. It is a pretty good scan of the 1/2 size page but due to the color of the page and getting the most detail I could, the scans are too big to post on RCG. I would be happy to email them to anyone who would like to clean them up and reduce the size for posting. I just haven't had the free time to do it myself. Just send me a PM with your email, and I'll get them to you.
Feb 26, 2011, 12:02 PM
BDR
BDR
Just plane obsessed

speaking of wakefield...

I've been enjoying this thread tremendously, especially the Jimmy Allen plans, but feeling I should contribute something. This is not really a plan but is old enuf and a wakefield. I don't believe there is a plan out there but who knows? A talented person could build from this, I think. Would make a beautiful model.
Feb 26, 2011, 12:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDR
This is not really a plan but is old enuf and a wakefield. I don't believe there is a plan out there but who knows?
And it is pretty too. There is a (possibly a bit updated?) version sold here:
http://www.flyingscalemodels.com/ami...Flight Vintage
Last edited by perttime; Feb 26, 2011 at 01:27 PM.
Feb 26, 2011, 12:30 PM
BDR
BDR
Just plane obsessed

possible parkflyer

Here is an all sheet cutie that has possibilities as electric RC. Sorry if this has already been posted but I don't think so.
Feb 26, 2011, 12:33 PM

Where does Wakefield come from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDR
I've been enjoying this thread tremendously, especially the Jimmy Allen plans, but feeling I should contribute something. This is not really a plan but is old enuf and a wakefield.
OK all you rubber power guys, where did the term Wakefield come from? Was it something sponsored by the Earl of Wakefield? Was it something that became popular in Wakefield, Massachusetts???

What is the history behind Wakefield? I've seen some beautiful rubber powered models over the years and always wondered where the Wakefield class had its origins? I'd love to have a History lesson on this.

Thanks,

Bob
Feb 26, 2011, 12:38 PM
Greetings folks. I am still trying to find the issue of MAN that has the Gabriel Bedish "Spunky". I found another of his, Thunderstick, in a later (I think) issue
(Dec 1947).
The one I'm looking for (Spunky) might have been in 1946.
Feb 26, 2011, 01:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDR
Here is an all sheet cutie that has possibilities as electric RC. Sorry if this has already been posted but I don't think so.
Nice, that would make a great depron electric flyer.

Quick Reply