This thread is privately moderated by orange&white, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Aug 30, 2021, 07:55 AM
AMA 8711, FCC K4WZA
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffMac
All -

Does anyone have a plan of a Testors Freshman control line trainer they could scan and post ?
Here's the Freshman 9. The 19 & 29 sizes certainly are very similar.

I started with the Sophomore 29, the next in the series - same fuselage but a built-up, planked, symmetrical wing. McCoy 29 Super Stunt. I fondly remember my first flight. Dad released it and I got it up. It oscillated up & down as I overcorrected, increasing with each lap. On the 3rd lap the oscillations had expanded to intercept the asphalt and the asphalt won. A wheel (wood, like on the Freshman) rolled from the crash site right past me and I chased after it. Damage to the plane was minimal, so it flew again. The Testor's Senior was very pretty and appealing, but my next plane was a Sterling Mustang with Fox .35. Ah, memories!

-Dave
to remove ads between posts
Aug 30, 2021, 03:52 PM
I'd rather be flying.....
Thank you Dave ! Made my Day ! and a cool story !

Best regards,

Jeff
Last edited by JeffMac; Aug 30, 2021 at 10:05 PM.
Sep 06, 2021, 11:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Never too old
Hello ar196. These were the kind of thing we used.
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...raser_1960.jpg
They actually looked acceptable on the Nancy, and were the closest thing we could find that had a little (very little) shock absorption. Where we flew was very harsh on wheels and models in general.
Thanks, nevertoo old and pmackenzie.

Guess I'm not old enough to have seen those previously.
Sep 24, 2021, 09:35 PM

Looking for a plan if available and an ID of this model

I have received this model aircraft from a friend who has lost his father recently. He was a soldier in the US Army in WWII. He was with the 24th Headquarters. Special Ghost Army. They built fake mock-ups to fool the Axis army after the D-Day landing. Anyway I have this much of the plane and would like to finish the model for him as part of his fathers models.

I need some identification if possible of the aircraft and maybe a plan. It looks like a kit to me as the fuselage formers look like they are cut clean. The wing leading edge looks like it may have been laser cut possibly. Even if there are no old timer plan available, just identifying the plane would be just as important.
Thanks.
Sep 25, 2021, 12:17 AM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
The plane is a Fairey Swordfish, slightly incomplete (build not finished).
The best "small" plan that I know is this one:
https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=6894
Sep 25, 2021, 07:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenenglish
The plane is a Fairey Swordfish, slightly incomplete (build not finished).
The best "small" plan that I know is this one:
https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=6894
Thank you so much. I would have never known. I am sure I can finish building this aircraft now. This was a great place to find out what the aircraft model was.
Good Day Sir
Sep 25, 2021, 08:23 AM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by **neons**
Thank you so much. I would have never known. I am sure I can finish building this aircraft now. This was a great place to find out what the aircraft model was.
Good Day Sir
OK. If you look, you'll see that there are a couple of other Swordfish plans on Outerzone, and they're all good!
More recently, there was an English "Aerographics" kit that may still come up on eBay.
Finally, if you read a bit, you'll find that the Swordfish has an impressive service record. A great plane.
Sep 25, 2021, 09:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenenglish
OK. If you look, you'll see that there are a couple of other Swordfish plans on Outerzone, and they're all good!
More recently, there was an English "Aerographics" kit that may still come up on eBay.
Finally, if you read a bit, you'll find that the Swordfish has an impressive service record. A great plane.
Very helpful information. I found some great skeleton views in Pinterest also. I am doing some measurements next to work with the best fit information also. Did a vital blow on the Bismark - Achilles heel. Thanks again.
Oct 06, 2021, 01:14 PM
I figured out the ribs for the Cutlass 20 and have a tracing of the ones I cut for the one that I built. If you would like the drawings they are in PDF format and should print out on 8 1/2 X 11 paper or card stock. You then will have to tape the printout together and cut them out for your pattern. PM me.
Oct 10, 2021, 05:30 PM
Where to find servo and control rod locations for this 4ch New Ruler. Has never been flown.

Any articles on it?

Does this plane have a lifting horizontal stabilizer?
Oct 11, 2021, 06:51 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
Plan and article here: https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=66 - although the model in the photo is obviously modified and judging by the lack of dihedral must have ailerons. I have to say I prefer the original!
Oct 11, 2021, 08:52 AM
I like thermals
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creative RC
Where to find servo and control rod locations for this 4ch New Ruler. Has never been flown.

Any articles on it?

Does this plane have a lifting horizontal stabilizer?
The New Ruler was/is a free flight. As such, the placement of RC equipment and linkage is not shown on the plans and must be determined by the builder of the model. I had one many years ago and created a hatch on the bottom of the fuselage to locate and access RC gear, roughly in line with the leading edge, if I recall.

To Sundancer's point, I concur. The New Ruler should properly have polyhedral....
Oct 24, 2021, 09:23 PM
Wildlife Artist / RC Designer
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullseye000
Now for something totally different. A prop driven snow car. Enjoy.
This is a cool model worth another look. I built a snow-plane/airsled when I was a kid. I recently dug it out and I'm giving it an extreme makeover to make it as realistic as I can to a 1950s era north american style Snowplane. For anyone unfamiliar with these vehicles they were used all over the world before the invention of the snowplow and the modern tracked snowmobile in the 1960s. In North America they were called Snowplanes or Air-Sleds, with an airplane shaped body and usually three skis. In Europe and Russia they were called Aerosleds or Aerosani, with a car or bus shaped body and four skis. No matter what they were called they were a cool vehicle deserving to be remembered. They are actually still in use by enthusiasts around the world. Tetonia Idaho USA calls itself the Snowplane Capital of the World, and holds a Snowplane rally every winter!
Oct 25, 2021, 08:10 AM
just about air snow car sleed...
Nov 05, 2021, 12:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPlumpe
Here's the Freshman 9. The 19 & 29 sizes certainly are very similar.

I started with the Sophomore 29, the next in the series - same fuselage but a built-up, planked, symmetrical wing. McCoy 29 Super Stunt. I fondly remember my first flight. Dad released it and I got it up. It oscillated up & down as I overcorrected, increasing with each lap. On the 3rd lap the oscillations had expanded to intercept the asphalt and the asphalt won. A wheel (wood, like on the Freshman) rolled from the crash site right past me and I chased after it. Damage to the plane was minimal, so it flew again. The Testor's Senior was very pretty and appealing, but my next plane was a Sterling Mustang with Fox .35. Ah, memories!

-Dave

Thank you for posting this!

james

Quick Reply