Thread Tools
This thread is privately moderated by orange&white, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Sep 18, 2019, 08:52 AM
Registered User
mhodgson's Avatar
Do we know what the root section for the Aquila is?
It would be nice to print the ribs with tabs on for building.
My first though was RAF 32 but that doesn't look right.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Sep 18, 2019, 10:09 AM
Ad eos qui nesciunt crepitus
Old_Pilot's Avatar

Aquila Ordinates


http://airfoiltools.com/search/index...D=1&yt0=Search
Latest blog entry: Two New Birds
Sep 18, 2019, 11:48 AM
Registered User
rchopper56's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhodgson
Do we know what the root section for the Aquila is?
It would be nice to print the ribs with tabs on for building.
My first though was RAF 32 but that doesn't look right.
I do not know what that root airfoil is and only two were called out on the originals, the M3 and the CLARK Y. I suspect the root rib is not a standard. The leading edge is horizontal and the cad files are now at outerzone. The ribs are all aligned relative to the horizontal. Tabs can be added by choosing a constant vertical distance from the leading edge. I would use the root rib #24 to set the distance.

Building this wing alone will be a challenge for the trailing edge at the tip is well off the table do to the washout. Every thing in the wing is lite ply or poplar wood so getting smooth champers will not be easy especially the spare assembly. Good Luck!

Gene
Last edited by rchopper56; Sep 18, 2019 at 11:59 AM.
Sep 18, 2019, 12:11 PM
Registered User
mhodgson's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Pilot
Wrong Aquila

I suspect you are right Gene about it being an unknown section.
Will look at the cad files.
Sep 18, 2019, 07:56 PM
Registered User
Windrider53's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by *jj
And the next question is ... is anyone going to build it?
YES!

(but with RC in it )
Sep 19, 2019, 02:44 AM
Registered User
mhodgson's Avatar
Would be shame not to build it after all that work on the plans.
I am considering it but, between trying to finish at least 3 other builds, finishing off rebuilding the suspended floor in my house (which in turn has led to needing to strip skirting board and wallpaper -and of course lots of plaster came off the old walls so I need to re-plaster), oh and that annoying thing that always gets in the way- earning a living, means time is short at the moment.
Perhaps I'll put it on the slow build pile and keeps doing small bits as and when until I have a kit made up.
Sep 19, 2019, 01:42 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhodgson
Would be shame not to build it after all that work on the plans.
Yeah, almost a crime. I'll get started on it this winter but it's gonna take a year or two to get it in the air....lots of research to do first..

@ rchopper56 ...... Thanks, your work is much appreciated.

@ Windrider53..... Details!!!!..... and a build log.... I'm pretty sure I'll being referring to regularly...
Sep 20, 2019, 11:12 PM
Registered User
I thought only Australian houses had suspended floors. I've only seen suspended ceilings in the northern hemisphere. ;-)
Sep 21, 2019, 12:25 AM
Registered User
mhodgson's Avatar
Built around 1930 ish. Odd really as the hall and kitchen are solid concrete floor but the living room and dining room have a metre space under- cold and damp. Modern houses don't have them as they lay insulation on solid ground and concrete over. Unfortunately the rugby world cup has started and will interfere with doing, well, anything.
Sep 21, 2019, 04:44 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
Sundancer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincoln
I thought only Australian houses had suspended floors. I've only seen suspended ceilings in the northern hemisphere. ;-)
Not unusual; my former house in Cheshire, a 1950's build, was on a gentle slope and the entire ground floor was suspended, there was a 4 foot void below the front increasing to over 6 feet at the back. Useful in one way as it made running central heating pipes and electric ring mains a piece of cake.
Sep 26, 2019, 07:07 AM
Sometime plane and heli flyer.
n0bbyUK's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer
Not unusual; my former house in Cheshire, a 1950's build, was on a gentle slope and the entire ground floor was suspended, there was a 4 foot void below the front increasing to over 6 feet at the back. Useful in one way as it made running central heating pipes and electric ring mains a piece of cake.
My old house up in Accrington (a good solid terraced late 1800's mill workers house) was built the same. At the front you had 5' of space under the porch and at the back the kitchen extension was solid concrete. As you say it made running the central heating pipes a doddle, well apart from the kitchen!!
Oct 20, 2019, 05:39 AM
Registered User
rchopper56's Avatar

Northern Arrow


This is one of the files that I recently restored for OZ. Felt it needed to be redrawn.
This is a rubber powered model with a 40.24" wing span.
I am sure that Steve knows more about it.
Yesterday, 01:12 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhodgson
Built around 1930 ish. Odd really as the hall and kitchen are solid concrete floor but the living room and dining room have a metre space under- cold and damp. Modern houses don't have them as they lay insulation on solid ground and concrete over. Unfortunately the rugby world cup has started and will interfere with doing, well, anything.
If it's bare ground under those two rooms, I seem to recall reading that you can lay out heavy plastic sheeting and cover it with a little sand to stop the moisture. You could perhaps attach insulation to the bottom side of the floor and then vent the space underneath, though I don't know where the vapor barrier goes. Or, if this is all too much, wear socks. ;-)
Yesterday, 02:20 AM
Registered User
mhodgson's Avatar
Spent summer insulating replacing and insulating the floor. Vapour barrier goes between the floor and insulation. Just got to redecorate the whole room now and then maybe I can get back to some model building as the work room is full of stuff from the living room.


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gallery Vintage & Old-Timer Plans built gallery orange&white Vintage & Old-Timer Designs 495 May 28, 2017 04:54 PM
Discussion Best source for Vintage/Old Timer plans? river-studio Vintage & Old-Timer Designs 22 Sep 18, 2016 02:22 PM
For Sale Old timer Sal Taibi plans Biper/Piper Aircraft - Fuel - Airplanes (FS/W) 2 Aug 15, 2011 09:30 AM