This thread is privately moderated by orange&white, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Aug 22, 2019, 04:44 AM
Thanks for the encouragement. Right now I am taking a break while thinking on how to define the spar assembly. It, in my opinion is very complicated and may require a single page of a drawing package just to define it.

Gene
to remove ads between posts
Aug 23, 2019, 05:59 AM

Aquila ribs

The ribs shown are full size if the alignment for rib 51 is correct. They are correct for for rib 24 thru 39.
The PDF file is vector
Gene
Aug 23, 2019, 06:49 AM
What a masochistic project Gene, pity that them as don't draw won't understand what you've achieved.

Superb job.

Regards Ian.
Aug 23, 2019, 09:17 AM
Thanks Ian, I was asked to clean the drawings for the Aquila by Steve. And, of course I accepted. As I got into it I realized that the only way for me to 'clean' was to redraw in CAD. I am not sure if much of anything on the drawings was correct or even to scale do to age and copying over and over again. Had to make a lot of assumptions so I am not sure if I got original right or not. Pit helped me solve the spar assembly which allowed me to proceed. The spar assembly will be a real eye twister.
Gene
Aug 23, 2019, 07:19 PM
Brighto?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFA2017
Too late to stop now Gene! Complete all your hard work and put it out there. Looking forward to the final result.

Richard.
I can vouch for that.
Aug 25, 2019, 05:09 AM

Aquila Spar

This is an exploded view of the Aquila spar assembly. there are 28 parts to it per half. Quite a few of the cut outs for the outboard ribs need to be done while assembling the wing or by some kind of custom fixture. These slots on the outboard section should be parallel and close fit to the ribs otherwise these many outboard 'spar caps' are just adding unnecessary weight for they would no longer be continuous.
Gene

Almost all call outs are just numbers and no material list. Just started to detail the spar assembly and suddenly realized as to what material to call out. Is this model all Poplar wood and birch plywood? Can Bass wood be a good substitute for the Poplar wood?
Forgot to add the wing span, I am getting 94-1/2".

Just answered my own question, Poplar Plywood ( light ply) is what is called out for almost all parts and I assume popular wood is also used for the wing leading and trailing edges.

Gene
Last edited by rchopper56; Aug 26, 2019 at 08:55 AM. Reason: Material Question and now answer
Aug 31, 2019, 11:11 AM

Aquila 'reeds'

The attached 'photo' shows what the path of what  the Aquila reeds look like. The upper is an iso and the lower is the side view.  They definitely do not flow smoothly. Both upper and lower reed locations in the green bulkhead look bad. Not shown is the top view which looks like an 'hour glass' in a couple of places. 

I really do not want to finish the drawings for the Aquila with the shown locations. I could relocate them so that they would look OK. Even then they would not function as intended. Would rather just leave them out. Open to suggestions.

Gene
Last edited by rchopper56; Aug 31, 2019 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Added top view
Aug 31, 2019, 11:07 PM
The hourglass-something like the fuse was designed using the old area rule concept?
Aug 31, 2019, 11:10 PM
Hourglass fuse-maybe the designer was being influenced by the old area rule, or coke bottle concept?
Sep 01, 2019, 07:25 AM
'Douglas' to his friends.
So this 'plane is designed for trans- or supersonic flight..?
Sep 01, 2019, 07:40 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad3353
So this 'plane is designed for trans- or supersonic flight..?
Maybe not - I recall an article in the, I think, Model Aircraft, in the fifties or sixties entitled "The Area Rule and Models" which postulated that there were advantages to be had in designing area rule fuselages for models. Whether or not these "advantages" were significant when operating in that outdoor wind tunnel called the British Isles is another matter, but I will try and find the article so you can judge for yourself. I must say I miss those formulae-laden aerodynamic pieces which were so common in the old magazines!
Sep 02, 2019, 04:31 AM
*jj
*jj
Although, as the man said, 'If anyone tells you something about aircraft which you can't understand, take it from me, it's all balls!'
Sep 03, 2019, 06:51 AM
As you can see without downloading the Aquila fuselage cad version is almost finished.The "hour glass" is gone by slightly relocating the thru holes for the "reeds". Nothing supersonic here. The file is full size and at 300 dpi gray. 

I still have one detail left on how to attach the wing with the clips using rubber bands.

Gene
Sep 03, 2019, 10:26 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
Further to post 17111 above; God my memory is good (some of the time!!) Here is the article by Ron Warring from the December 1955 "Model Aircraft". I think it would true to say that Mr Warring was "stretching it a bit" here, but it is never the less an interesting example of how we took the aerodynamics of our models much more seriously in those days!
Sep 03, 2019, 03:22 PM

Area Rule

This is not an OCR file. But it is easier for me to read.
Gene

Quick Reply