Vintage & Old-Timer Plans PRE 1960 PLANS ONLY - Page 1067 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Thread Tools
This thread is privately moderated by orange&white, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
May 31, 2017, 04:39 PM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
Sundancer's Avatar

Never give up hope.....


Just to show the value of this thread, back in February 2013 I posted, in hope rather than expectation, on this thread (Post #11343) to ask if anyone knew of plans for an unpublished model from 1954 by talented British designer G. R (Bob) Woollett, the Gander canard. As I feared, no response was forthcoming.....until this week when Les Hoy, the chap who built the replica of the Gander which was featured in a 1987 Aeromdeller report of an Old Warden meeting happened via an internet search upon my post and, joining RCG, PM'd me with the news that he did indeed still have the plan!

In a subsequent email he told me the story of how the plan and replica came about, Les wrote: "I originally saw the Gander picture in the December 1954 edition of Aeromodeller in 1985, and wanted to build it, but I found out plans were never published. Being a then member of SAM 35, I asked my dear departed friend David Baker for ideas, and he introduced me to Bob Woollett personally at the Old Warden meeting in 1986, where Bob revealed that the plans had long gone, but he still had the original model at home, and said he could redraw the plans for me, from the original model, and would send them to me, after which, a month later they arrived by post, to my delight.

I duly built it and took it to Old Warden in 1987, where I was photographed for the Aeromodeller October edition."


Les very kindly offered to mail me the plan, an offer I accepted with alacrity, and when I have it, apart from hopefully creating an electric R/C version, I will make arrangements for it to be scanned and passed on to Steve at Outerzone where it can join the four other Woollett designs already there (Phoenix, Wren, Linnet and a scale He51). He also thoughtfully emailed the photo below which shows him with the 1987 Gander replica.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
May 31, 2017, 04:42 PM
I like thermals
Love this story, SD. History preserved!
May 31, 2017, 05:40 PM
Registered User
I would definitely be interested in the electric rc version!
May 31, 2017, 06:17 PM
Registered User

VELOGIATOR by Algerio Nonis. Argentina. 1947


This is the Velogiator by Algerio Nonis
May 31, 2017, 06:26 PM
Registered User

MINI WEAVER. Model Aircraft . APRIL 1963


MINI WEAVER. Model Aircraft . APRIL 1963

Any news about this plan?
Jun 01, 2017, 01:29 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Colonel Blink's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer
.... when I have it, apart from hopefully creating an electric R/C version, I will make arrangements for it to be scanned and passed on to Steve at Outerzone.
Excellent! Hopefully that will help you get your building mojo back, George!!!
Jun 01, 2017, 02:49 AM
I fly SLOPE landings are crash
HUMPHREY1957's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer
Just to show the value of this thread, back in February 2013 I posted, in hope rather than expectation, on this thread (Post #11343) to ask if anyone knew of plans for an unpublished model from 1954 by talented British designer G. R (Bob) Woollett, the Gander canard. As I feared, no response was forthcoming.....until this week when Les Hoy, the chap who built the replica of the Gander which was featured in a 1987 Aeromdeller report of an Old Warden meeting happened via an internet search upon my post and, joining RCG, PM'd me with the news that he did indeed still have the plan!

In a subsequent email he told me the story of how the plan and replica came about, Les wrote: "I originally saw the Gander picture in the December 1954 edition of Aeromodeller in 1985, and wanted to build it, but I found out plans were never published. Being a then member of SAM 35, I asked my dear departed friend David Baker for ideas, and he introduced me to Bob Woollett personally at the Old Warden meeting in 1986, where Bob revealed that the plans had long gone, but he still had the original model at home, and said he could redraw the plans for me, from the original model, and would send them to me, after which, a month later they arrived by post, to my delight.

I duly built it and took it to Old Warden in 1987, where I was photographed for the Aeromodeller October edition."


Les very kindly offered to mail me the plan, an offer I accepted with alacrity, and when I have it, apart from hopefully creating an electric R/C version, I will make arrangements for it to be scanned and passed on to Steve at Outerzone where it can join the four other Woollett designs already there (Phoenix, Wren, Linnet and a scale He51). He also thoughtfully emailed the photo below which shows him with the 1987 Gander replica.
WOW That's so ugly I want desperately to build one.

Can you message me when the plan is up.

Cheers Phil.
Jun 01, 2017, 06:14 AM
Registered User
rchopper56's Avatar

Velogiator


Based on the 12 cm dimension shown for dihedral, I came up with a flat span of 29.30.
Of course this assumes that the sketch for the dihedral is scale. Cute model!
Thanks Volar for sharing.

Gene
Jun 01, 2017, 09:16 AM
Registered User

following this thread


I'm a historian by education and interest. Threads like this one keep history available and spread it around. A wonderful thing, adding to the density of our culture. Lots of other interests do similar things and we and civilization, are all the better for it. I'm thankful to everyone who has offered plans, articles, experiences, and the more that read this material and copy and use and store it themselves, the better off we all are.

Thanks, everybody.
Jun 01, 2017, 10:04 AM
I like thermals
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD
Does anyone have the original 1941 Atomizer plan, by John Tatone? Am not sure which magazine it was published in.
Would be interested in the original Atomizer plans and also the Airfoiler, which I am told is a Debolt design...
Last edited by pulserudder; Jun 01, 2017 at 01:40 PM.
Jun 01, 2017, 11:18 AM
RFJ
RFJ
Registered User
RFJ's Avatar
I think the Airfoiler was a Hal DeBolt design.

Ray
Jun 01, 2017, 01:43 PM
I like thermals
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFJ
I think the Airfoiler was a Hal DeBolt design.

Ray
Thanks Ray. Now I know and have edited previous post accordingly. Was Airfoiler published in a magazine? I have only seen one modern version set up for 1/2a texaco.
Jun 01, 2017, 01:55 PM
WMD
WMD
Womble of Model Depiction
WMD's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volar libremente
MINI WEAVER. Model Aircraft . APRIL 1963

Any news about this plan?
Yes. Have just had a look for this, and found this one in the stack sent to us by DBHL. Here's a copy of it - uncleaned, so far

Steve
Last edited by WMD; Jun 01, 2017 at 02:00 PM.
Jun 01, 2017, 06:51 PM
RFJ
RFJ
Registered User
RFJ's Avatar
Quote:
Was Airfoiler published in a magazine?
It was published in something called Model Craftsman in June 1944. This nice replica version is from MAN January 2001.

Ray
Last edited by RFJ; Jun 02, 2017 at 02:34 AM.
Jun 02, 2017, 01:49 AM
Intermediate Multi
Trisquire's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volar libremente
This is the Velogiator by Algerio Nonis
They were into that guppy look back then weren't they? Nice lines.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gallery Vintage & Old-Timer Plans built gallery orange&white Vintage & Old-Timer Designs 495 May 28, 2017 04:54 PM
Discussion Best source for Vintage/Old Timer plans? river-studio Vintage & Old-Timer Designs 22 Sep 18, 2016 02:22 PM
For Sale Old timer Sal Taibi plans Biper/Piper Aircraft - Fuel - Airplanes (FS/W) 2 Aug 15, 2011 09:30 AM