This thread is privately moderated by orange&white, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Mar 27, 2017, 01:37 PM

Tonto

The last model published in the Aeromodeller of February 1953 was Tonto. A free flight glider by G Mellar with a span of approximately 70 inches.

As with all my tracings please use with care and if there are any errors please let me know so I can correct them.

Al
to remove ads between posts
Mar 27, 2017, 05:00 PM

Earl Stahl Gypsy I built in 1999

Here is a photo of a Gypsy I built in 1999 for USA SAM electric powered SOS event. Later with motor change I have flown it in USA SAAM R/C electric powered Wakefield event. Sill flying today. Jack in Illinois.
Mar 27, 2017, 05:40 PM

Pretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackHiner
Here is a photo of a Gypsy I built in 1999 for USA SAM electric powered SOS event. Later with motor change I have flown it in USA SAAM R/C electric powered Wakefield event. Sill flying today. Jack in Illinois.
Now that is a pretty airplane. Thanks for posting.
Mar 27, 2017, 07:01 PM
Culper Junior
What he said^^^
Mar 28, 2017, 02:36 PM

Tonto

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogal
The last model published in the Aeromodeller of February 1953 was Tonto. A free flight glider by G Mellar with a span of approximately 70 inches.

Al
Here is a cleaner copy of the Tonto article. File size a bit large though.
(Not my scan)

Rogerc41
Mar 29, 2017, 03:51 PM
That Gypsy will sure catch your eye -- bet it is beautiful with the sun shining through the transparent covering!

Pete G.
Apr 01, 2017, 10:50 PM

Arrowhead and Luscombe Skypal

Moving now onto the March 1953 Aeromodeller the two plans this week are the Arrowhead and the Luscombe Skypal.

The Arrowhead was a free plan offering for a delta winged control liner suitable for 0.5 cc diesel motors. Designed by Ron Moulton and requiring only one sheet of 1/16" balsa I wonder how many young lads galloped off to the model shop after getting the magazine.

The Luscombe Skypal was a completely different kettle of fish. A large scale model designed by Frank Lees it had a list of contest successes it spans 63". The power for the plane was the venerable Mills 1.3cc. Although designed as a free flighter it would make a good base for a radio scale plane, although I would be inclined to up the engine size, maybe a .20 cu.in.

As always with my plans if you should decide to use them please measure at least twice before committing to the knife and if you spot any mistakes let me know.

Al
Last edited by hogal; Apr 09, 2017 at 12:43 AM.
Apr 02, 2017, 03:42 PM
AMA16634...Just Me
Quote:
........The Luscombe Skypal was a completely different kettle of fish. A large scale model designed by Frank Lees it had a list of contest successes it spans 63". The power for the plane was the venerable Mills 1.3cc. Although designed as a free flighter it would make a good base for a radio scale plane, although I would be inclined to up the engine size, maybe a .20 cu.in.........
Al
Al,

I really like that Luscombe...great candidate for an electric mod.....Thanks for the work you've done on these plans.

Don
Apr 02, 2017, 07:37 PM
Quote:
Moving now onto the March 1953 Aeromodeller the two plans this week are the Arrowhead and the Luscombe Skypal.

The Arrowhead was a free plan offering for a delta winged control liner suitable for 0.5 cc diesel motors. Designed by Ron Moulton and requiring only one sheet of 1/16" balsa I wonder how many young lads galloped off to the model shop after getting the magazine.

Al
I built one in the '60s ( at the tender age of 12) with a Cox babe bee for power. I used to fly it in a friends back garden on 5 ft lines - boy we got dizzy. Mike had a Cox pt19 - blue and yellow of course - which we succeeded in destroying again on 5 ft lines. The arrowhead and Ferdinand (again with the same babe bee installed) marked my first success with control line and lead to a degree in aero eng, a career in aviation and a life long hobby. Many thanks Ron Moulton.

Mark.
Last edited by Mark Winstanley; Apr 02, 2017 at 07:47 PM.
Apr 07, 2017, 08:16 PM
"Experienced-Crasher"

C&H Model Aircraft Co. "Tornado"

I came across this one on Ebay,.. fell in love with it, and spent a LOT of money purchasing it by auction ( beat the other fellow by a dollar!) Unfortunately, though the seller stated it was complete,.. it was not. It was missing one side of printed fuselage wood, elevator/ stabilizer, rudder, leading edge sheeting, wing trailing edges and the prop hook... ALL the parts, were on the plan, but for the $$$ I spent, felt a bit slighted. Before contacting the seller, I decided to roll the dice, and copy the plans (which were EXTREMELY "tender" with age). I have copied tender plans like this, and when they went through the CAD rollers, came out the other end looking like corn flakes and could be transported home in a bowl. The kit, was for the time period excellent ... nice wood, clear printing, unique round wheels, and a finished prop that was the BEST I've seen from ANY vintage kit, bar NONE! Upon closer examination, on the prop hub, was a small stamp "made in Japan" Keep in mind, this kit has a copyright dated 1937 which means this depression era kit had wonderful stuff from Japanese craftsmen 4 years BEFORE the attack on Pearl Harbor! The wheels, at VERY unique,.. being balls... round in every way, with aluminum insets for the axles ... Like I said,. this was a very quality kit for the depression era. I plan on sharing it with you, as soon as I can afford to get the plans scanned for PDF, then, I'll need help from someone here to reduce the size so I can post it..... Bob

PS: I'm beginning a build of the model, and will try to keep it true to the original construction, but may have to beef up the tail feathers, and add a few ply pieces for R/C equipment mounting.... Bob
Last edited by Demon-Leather; Apr 07, 2017 at 08:33 PM.
Apr 07, 2017, 08:39 PM
"Experienced-Crasher"
Is there any interest in building this aircraft? If not, I can save the $$$ for a different plan. I have scoured the internet looking for C &H Model Aircraft history with absolutely no luck, but being it was a "Depression era" model means the company could have had a bad go of it, and faded into oblivion with this being their only short-lived offering.... if anyone knows this company's history, please post it here. Thank You Bob
Apr 07, 2017, 09:43 PM
Bob,

If you have a scanner at home you could try passing the Tornado plans through that and send me the resultant A4 .bmp's. I can then stitch them together and trace into my CAD system and we would end up publishing the resultant full size .pdf.

Al
Apr 07, 2017, 09:44 PM
I'd rather be flying.....
Bob, I would sue like to see your C and H plan shared... I've found that a scan set @ 300 DPI should get it the file size down but still keep nice detail. That's the setting I use for my scanned and posted full size plans..... Can't remember who here advised me of that....

I have never heard of C and H or the Tornado.....

thanks,

jeff
Last edited by JeffMac; Apr 07, 2017 at 09:46 PM. Reason: addtl
Apr 07, 2017, 11:07 PM
"Experienced-Crasher"

OKJeff...

As soon as I can afford it (the 1st of the month) I'll post the plans... You MAY have to help Me out as every time I try to post, the site says they exceed the size specified. The CAD printer I use seems to exceed the sites megabites limit...I've always had help reducing the size here, because I'm a computer Idiot, and can not do it myself...Thanks! bob
And Al... any help is a great thing...I wish I knew this stuff,... but I'm an old I.C dinosaur and am totally ignorant in the ways of internet manipulation of these things,...
Apr 07, 2017, 11:17 PM
"Experienced-Crasher"
Before, when I've shared plans here, I have always had help cleaning them up and getting them to the accuired size for the site....in order to share, I have to rely on the people here that actually know what they're doing. I have a host of old plans, that I wish to share before I die...it would be a shame to let them all go to oblivion with me, and end up in a garage sale, where the Mrs, doesn't know what she has...and no one else does as well...
Last edited by Demon-Leather; Apr 07, 2017 at 11:24 PM.

Quick Reply