Jun 25, 2010, 06:03 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Top Flite P-40 Warhawk ARF .60-.91,64.5"

I figure this plane deserves it's own thread. Easily the nicest P-40 ARF under 500 dollars to ever be released.

The spinner shape and the tiny tail number are the only things I will correct.

Not sure of the spinner diameter yet. But the P-40 spinner shape is crucial to the lines of this warbird.

I'll be flying my VQ-P40 as hard as I can until this plane is released. Then it will be retired. I will use it's Saito 125 and Century Jet Retracts in this plane. Hopefully the strut lengths are identical. If not, I can buy new struts to match the proper length.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 25, 2010, 07:59 AM
I haven't heard yet, but I'm wondering how close to the kit version the ARF will be. The kit built plane is a handful to fly. I suspect the wing was changed to make this plane easier to fly/land. The tailwheel was moved to the rudder and of course the cowl was changed, but the outline really looks the same. I'm really looking forward to seeing one. Hopefully one will be at Delaware.
Jun 26, 2010, 05:29 AM
Ldm
Ldm
Ldm
Its its the same flight characteristics just move the alerson up on both sides to reduce the stall characteristics .
I agree on the spinner , maybe we can get Ty from over at RCU to make one ? He did a great job on the BF109 from CMP .
I going to make another mod and that would be opening up the cowl flaps , that will add depth to the bottom of the plane and its missing depth in that area
Jun 26, 2010, 08:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldm
Its its the same flight characteristics just move the alerson up on both sides to reduce the stall characteristics .
What do ya mean? What did they do to the ailerons to change the stall characteristics?
Jun 26, 2010, 11:17 PM
Scale Builder
Quote:
Originally Posted by andernamen
What do ya mean? What did they do to the ailerons to change the stall characteristics?
You can adjust both ailerons with a bit of up at neutral which will effectively add some wash out to the wing and help prevent tip stalling. To be honest, I did not find my TF P-40 to be all that prone to tip stalling. It was, however, a real hand full on the ground!
Jun 27, 2010, 06:03 AM
Ldm
Ldm
Ldm
exactly
Aug 20, 2010, 10:11 AM

Warhawk ARF

Wazzup p-40 clubbers! Just got my P-40 ARF and couldnt beleive the quality! I've bean building the balsa kit on and off for 8 years or so, then this! Now that will be my scale bird. 1st question, has anybody dropped the Sierra retracts in one, and is Saito better than OS Surpass 2? Totally new to 4 strokers, have the Super Tiger 91 in my other kit. Thanks for any reply's.
Aug 20, 2010, 10:29 AM
Thread OP
Sierra is working on the retracts for this plane right now.

Quote:
ORIGINAL: BigRetracts-RCU

We received one of the wings from a customer for the 60 size TF P-40.
Real shame they set the plane up for wire retracts.
The also shortened up the strut length and put the Wheel Wells in the wrong place.
I am guessing to keep the wire struts from being too long.

With some simple mods, I am sure we can squeeze in some Quality Pneumatic Retracts
with Oleo Struts.

Photo's in a little while.

Sierra Giant Scale
Aug 20, 2010, 09:18 PM
Ldm
Ldm
Ldm
there done , he has them shown on rcu and price on his website
Aug 20, 2010, 09:53 PM
Thread OP
link us, LDM
Aug 26, 2010, 06:22 AM
Mr Clean

Sierra

http://www.sierragiant.com/prod30.html

I think these are it...

FTIR
Aug 26, 2010, 07:08 AM
Thread OP
Those are the same as he's had for years.....
Aug 27, 2010, 06:35 AM
Mr Clean

Top Flight

That's what I thought, I didn't see any others for that size P-40.

FTIR

Quick Reply