Sep 04, 2010, 10:58 PM
The lunatic is on the grass
You hold down the scale..tape the skids to the scale..add full throttle and get a weight reading...how?Does your scale work in reverse?

I have a scale and i would like to try that to measure the thrust from my msr and 120 sr,i don't understand how to do it..

Ridgewalker
to remove ads between posts
Sep 04, 2010, 11:25 PM
LiPo Cursed but Still Electric
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgewalker
You hold down the scale..tape the skids to the scale..add full throttle and get a weight reading...how?Does your scale work in reverse?

I have a scale and i would like to try that to measure the thrust from my msr and 120 sr,i don't understand how to do it..

Ridgewalker
Yes my scale reads to +500 and -500 grams in 1/10th gram increments. Still, I don't know how scientific this is.
Sep 04, 2010, 11:34 PM
Ok,ive decided not to buy the 120 sr my lhs has had a couple returned because of the loss of signal issue,glad i held off from buying it,like i said before im going to wait for a revised edition,or just get a different heli.
Sep 04, 2010, 11:41 PM
LiPo Cursed but Still Electric
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgewalker
Stalyoni...
What if you ran two of the stock packs wired in parelell...that would keep the voltage same as stock but it would bump up the capacity to 1000mah.

Or....and i know many will cringe when i say this....but if you have exp building battery packs then it is really no big deal....But i have said it before,you could use a single cell from the SR battery pack...the cells are 1000mah.
You would have to make the battery tray wider...that wouldn't be to hard to make up a new one.
It would be lighter than two stock 120 sr batteries....and if you know how to do that kind of thing and mabey have some spare jst or deans micro plugs around then it would also save a few pennys,the cost of three stock 120 sr batteries is more than one SR battery.

I know many of you think thats a bad idea....lipos make people scared...and i know there have been many problems..fires..even death...but if you have exp building battery packs in the past...pay attention to what you are doing...and work in a safe place then you will be just fine.

If i had the extra $ to buy a new battery for my sr i would cut it right now....I will one of these days....

I just added a blue led to my main blade...looks nice!

Ridgewalker
Hey Ridgewalker. I like your idea for the SR 11.1v battery packs.

How do you add a blue LED to your main blade (power, battery location, balancing, mounting, etc.?)

If you need more details or a couple pics on what I did with the scale let me know.
Sep 04, 2010, 11:41 PM
Heli's rule!
Yea, we know.... Every time you see 20 good reports on the heli and you are about to buy it, you see one bad one and decide not to buy it... This is what, the 3rd or 4th time you've made that post
Sep 04, 2010, 11:43 PM
Sep 04, 2010, 11:49 PM
Bruno, GOOD DOG
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacaur
Yea, we know.... Every time you see 20 good reports on the heli and you are about to buy it, you see one bad one and decide not to buy it... This is what, the 3rd or 4th time you've made that post
I still think he needs to buy a Walkera. Then i think he would feel better about buying a Blade.
Ron
Sep 04, 2010, 11:58 PM
The wheels touch down FIRST??
Quote:
Originally Posted by isogloss3d
I hadn't thought to mention this yet but I too have had sudden unexplained power losses with my 120 SR. This first time it happened was while flying on a football field. I was standing at the 10 yard line and made a number of passes past the 70 and 80 yard line at an elevation of about 25 feet and then landed. It was a hot sunny afternoon and I let the heli cool off for 6-7 minutes. I changed batteries and halfway through my flight I lost power at the 50 yard line. I cycled the throttle a few times as the heli was falling out of the air and the heli regained power and I managed to pull out of a crash.

Since then the same thing has happened 2 more times. This has never happened on my first battery of a flight session which leads me to believe it could be a heat issue, then again it's hard to come to any conclusions this early on.

I'm still using the included RTF TX but made it a point to keep the batteries fresh once moving to the 120 SR and outdoor flight.
Actually, I think you might be onto something there.

I've been reading a few posts from various sources on this subject of sudden repsonse loss, and the one thing in common I've noticed so far is that does not seem to happen on the first flight of the day, but on the second or subsequent flights.

Could very well be a heat glitch issue somewhere in the electronics, or a purpose built thermal-cutout doing it's thing. Be interesting to see what E-Flite's research and recommended fix (if any) will be...

BJ
Sep 05, 2010, 12:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy1
Ok,ive decided not to buy the 120 sr my lhs has had a couple returned because of the loss of signal issue,glad i held off from buying it,like i said before im going to wait for a revised edition,or just get a different heli.
Just buy the thing Pappy - you won't regret it

No disrespect meant, but you're probably going to stick it into the ground 50 times yourself, and never experience this issue at all.

And...if there is a genuine problem, and E-Flite can replicate it, I'm sure they'll come to the party with some sort of solution.

BJ
Sep 05, 2010, 12:02 AM
Registered Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by stalyoni
This is stolen from my HF thread:

I run a few indoor experiments and here's what I got.

Average of 2 hovers with fully charged batteries, no extra weight (only stock battery weight 14 grams): around 8 minutes
Average of 2 hovers with fully charged batteries, extra weight 1 stock battery (the extra battery was not connected, just used for weight so total battery weight was 28 grams): around 7:20, 40 secs down from the stock setup
Average of 2 hovers with fully charged batteries, extra weight 2 stock batteries (the extra batteries again were not connected, just used for weight, so the total battery weight was 42 grams): around 6:40, 80 secs down from the stock setup

I used rubber band to add the extra batteries between the skids, carefully not to move the CG too much.
(weight of my 120 with no batteries is about 92 grams)

so yes it can lift some weight alright. We trying to find out whether an aftermarket lipo would be worth it.
So you got your 120SR now then Stal ?
Last edited by Kris...; Sep 05, 2010 at 12:19 AM.
Sep 05, 2010, 12:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRIS...
So you got your 120SR now then Stal ?
Nah....he's itchin like a cat on a hot tin roof.

Hopefully, Mr Postman will be knocking on his door tomorrow with a nice big box

(Full of Helicopter, you deviants!)

BJ
Sep 05, 2010, 12:20 AM
Registered Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ64
Actually, I think you might be onto something there.

I've been reading a few posts from various sources on this subject of sudden repsonse loss, and the one thing in common I've noticed so far is that does not seem to happen on the first flight of the day, but on the second or subsequent flights.

Could very well be a heat glitch issue somewhere in the electronics, or a purpose built thermal-cutout doing it's thing. Be interesting to see what E-Flite's research and recommended fix (if any) will be...

BJ
Mine cut out on second flight ! in fact it was the first time having a second flight as i had just received some more lipos to play with, second flight dropped like a stone, so you could be on to something here BJ
Sep 05, 2010, 12:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRIS...
Mine cut out on second flight ! in fact it was the first time having a second flight as i had just received some more lipos to play with, second flight dropped like a stone, so you could be on to something here BJ
I'm just drawing a conclusion from the one thing in common that I've noticed in all the posts I've read so far - flying more than one LiPo in relatively quick succession.

I only have the one LiPo at the moment - which means I'm basically forced to wait a fair while before I fly again. I haven't experienced the symptoms, but that could be because of my long time between successive flights, or my Helo doesn't have whatever is causing the problem in the first place.

BJ
Sep 05, 2010, 12:40 AM
Registered Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ64
I'm just drawing a conclusion from the one thing in common that I've noticed in all the posts I've read so far - flying more than one LiPo in relatively quick succession.

I only have the one LiPo at the moment - which means I'm basically forced to wait a fair while before I fly again. I haven't experienced the symptoms, but that could be because of my long time between successive flights, or my Helo doesn't have whatever is causing the problem in the first place.

BJ
Like i said didn't have this problem with the one lipo BJ Its been fine as there has been adequate cooling down periods between flights.
When i started to use more than one lipo the 120 dropped out the SKY
Sep 05, 2010, 12:54 AM
OMG!

Maybe they're monogomous and possesive, and only want to be with the LiPo they came with?

BJ

Quick Reply