Sep 16, 2016, 11:32 AM
I wish I could recall what battery lead I used, but with the larger gage wire, overall performance in both main and tail was improved. Slight opening of the holes in the board was required..... that's how much bigger the wire was. I'll look those up next chance I get.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 16, 2016, 11:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bvrrocks5150
I wish I could recall what battery lead I used, but with the larger gage wire, overall performance in both main and tail was improved. Slight opening of the holes in the board was required..... that's how much bigger the wire was. I'll look those up next chance I get.
I haven't changed the battery lead, but I probably should. It really just never occurred to me to do so. A micro-Dean's connector in the battery lead may be more efficient than a JST, and possibly lighter in weight I'm sure that someone, somewhere has done empirical testing on them, but I'm too lazy to dig up the information.
Sep 17, 2016, 05:33 PM
Just curious.......................... anyone ever attempted a BL conversion on a 120 SR / 120 S?
Sep 17, 2016, 05:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Atkins
Just curious.......................... anyone ever attempted a BL conversion on a 120 SR / 120 S?
I thought about trying to use a NCPx BL kit on the tail awhile back, but never followed through on it. Motor Kv is much higher... would have to use smaller tail rotor to get away with it. I may try again after I finish the projects I have going right now.
Sep 17, 2016, 05:51 PM
Quote:
I thought about trying to use a NCPx BL kit on the tail awhile back, but never followed through on it. Motor Kv is much higher... would have to use smaller tail rotor to get away with it. I may try again after I finish the projects I have going right now.
I have one of those NIP that I had originally bought to drop into my MSRX but, when I inquired with Horizon as to if it would work with the MSRX PCB, their only reply was "Not Suitable". Never actually said whether it would work or not............... I should probably put it in my MSR / MIA Hughes 300 conversion.

Anyhow, the reason I asked about a BL main motor in a 120 SR / 120 S is that my 120 SR w/ CX2 Jet Ranger fuselage conversion requires a 1250ma 1S in the nose to get the C/G correct, but the added weight only gives me a few minutes of useable flight time. It is rock-solid though, with the longer tail.
Last edited by Mr.Atkins; Sep 17, 2016 at 06:05 PM.
Sep 17, 2016, 06:00 PM
Quote:
I have one of those NIP that I had originally bought to drop into my MSRX but, when I inquired with Horizon as to if it would work with the MSRX PCB, their only reply was "Not Suitable". Never actually said whether it would work or not............... I should probably it it in my MSR / MIA Hughes 300 conversion.

Anyhow, the reason I asked about a BL main motor in a 120 SR / 120 S is that my 120 SR w/ CX2 Jet Ranger fuselage conversion requires a 1250ma 1S in the nose to get the C/G correct, but the added weight only gives me a few minutes of useable flight time. It is rock-solid though, with the longer tail.
Never really thought about it til now.....
I wonder if a MCPX-BL power system would work...... or maybe another of similar size heli?
Sep 17, 2016, 06:08 PM
Quote:
Never really thought about it til now.....
I wonder if a MCPX-BL power system would work...... or maybe another of similar size heli?
The MCPX BL conversion motors that I have are much smaller than a Brushed 120 motor. Don't think they'd put out enough power. I have a BL motor for an FJ-46 (?) that might work, but I'd need a signal converter and ESC.
Sep 17, 2016, 06:18 PM
Quote:
The MCPX BL conversion motors that I have are much smaller than a Brushed 120 motor. Don't think they'd put out enough power. I have a BL motor for an FJ-46 (?) that might work, but I'd need a signal converter and ESC.
Great..... now I'm going to have to look at an MCPX motor next time I go to LHS.
Sep 17, 2016, 07:01 PM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
The mCPX BL motor would be more suited to the smaller mSR. Many have tried to use it as a "longevity" replacement for the brushed motors in the UM/UMX 1S brushed planes mostly with unsatisfactory results and there's a lot of stuff you need to know and figure out to even attempt it. Last time I looked into it, in most cases, in the end, it didn't even produce as much thrust as the stock brushed motors that come in those planes.
Sep 17, 2016, 07:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_of_49
The mCPX BL motor would be more suited to the smaller mSR. Many have tried to use it as a "longevity" replacement for the brushed motors in the UM/UMX 1S brushed planes mostly with unsatisfactory results and there's a lot of stuff you need to know and figure out to even attempt it. Last time I looked into it, in most cases, in the end, it didn't even produce as much thrust as the stock brushed motors that come in those planes.
Part of the problem is that the "180" motor falls between size ranges that are popular to micro size helis. I bet someone has the right size setup, I just haven't had time to look yet......
Walkera V120D02S parts maybe?
Sep 17, 2016, 07:50 PM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
I might not even be talking about the same motor, it's a small 1S brushless, it might be for the tail or something. I'll look it up later, just heading out.
Nov 25, 2016, 12:00 AM
Man it was great taking the old girl out for spin...it was a bit windy so should I say a little wind surf ride. lol I moved up to the next level from FF to CP (K110) and wanted to hold up from flying this beauty till I was a little more comfortable at CP flying, then I would start working the brain muscle.... Wasn't as bad as I thought.... Love and miss the sound of those blades cutt'in that wind.
Dec 02, 2016, 10:44 PM
Yeah, I bust mine out once in a while too, just for some easy flying out front of my house. I remember when it was soooo hard to fly this heli
Dec 04, 2016, 04:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliFlyer14
Yeah, I bust mine out once in a while too, just for some easy flying out front of my house. I remember when it was soooo hard to fly this heli
By now my Las remaining 1S pack has probably died.
For me, it wasn't that it was hard to fly, but getting the banked turns down so I could avoid smacking walls.
Jul 21, 2017, 06:48 PM
Curtis
I just got a used Blade 120 SR. Is this group dead?

Quick Reply