Dec 06, 2012, 10:37 AM
Bugle6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian VT
I'm surprised the anti-rotation bracket isn't mentioned more often. That's the really the only part I've had trouble with. Those fingers are really weak.
Really? I've never replaced one except in a major crash where I was flying (for 2 seconds) inverted.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 06, 2012, 10:52 AM
Quote:
Do you have a DX6i or DX6 ? Either one can be bound to any Spektrum receiver (which the 120SR has).
I think only gliders have RX batteries. Most planes, helis, cars, etc., use 1 battery for the motors, servos, and RX (motors being the main consumer).
I think I have the i...I'll check when I get home from work today...I think we're getting mixed up on the Rx battery thing...I realize the heli only requires one Rx battery to operate, I was referring to getting some spare batteries so I can keep flying while the others are charging.
Dec 06, 2012, 11:00 AM
Bugle6
Good. See my list for you. You can rotate 5 or more to fly for a while.
Dec 06, 2012, 11:01 AM
Registered Abuser
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampi
I think I have the i...I'll check when I get home from work today...I think we're getting mixed up on the Rx battery thing...I realize the heli only requires one Rx battery to operate, I was referring to getting some spare batteries so I can keep flying while the others are charging.
Lol, gotcha. I think we just got confused by you calling them Rx batts (some rc does have a separate for the Rx...)

Anyways, tons of good info around on what batteries to go with (I'd advise doing a search in the 120sr section on helifreak)but, the long and the short is roughly this in terms of options:

Stay away from the Eflite replacement batteries, they get notoriously bad reviews.

Good choices are (in no particular order)

Turnigy Nano-tech 600mAh (what I use and love)
Hyperion 600mAh

Suddenly I can't remember what the other common options are but that gives you a couple options.

I haven't commented on any 'oversize' batteries , that's a whole different conversation that involves what to do about mounting. These options I've listed fit into the stock battery holder.

Feel free to pm me and I can send you some links...

CS
Dec 06, 2012, 11:14 AM
Quote:
I think I have the i...

Dec 06, 2012, 11:40 AM
Quote:

Mine looks like the top pic...so I guess it's not the i...so will the DX6 work for this application?
Dec 06, 2012, 01:32 PM
Look ma, no hands!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2814
Hello. I'm brand new to this forum so you'll have to excuse me if I screw this up. I have a 120 SR with many upgrades and it worked fine until I bought the Hyperion G3 550mAh LiPos for it. I charged the Cell at 4C charge rate then when out to check it out, Expected more power and increased flight time. Well, the heli lifted off and was fine for a moment then the rpms soared and it started spinning wildly out of control. Couldn't even cut the throttle using the DX6i. Has anyone else experienced this? Thanks.
It sounds like the esc on the brick went south. It has happened to me twice on my 20-month old heli; the main motor went to full throttle and wouldn't back off even after I turned off the tx. Rather than buy my third brick I finally broke down and bought a whole new heli; transferring over the mods and upgrades was actually a lot of fun.

I put 4 Hyperion 550's thru the new bird at the gym last night; you'd think all the trims and mixes on my dx6i would simply carry over but n-o-o-o, I'm having to figure them out all over again. Gotta love this hobby, never a dull moment!
Dec 06, 2012, 01:55 PM
Jake From Planet Mascoutah, IL
Quote:
Mine looks like the top pic...so I guess it's not the i...so will the DX6 work for this application?
Only the i version of the DX6 series will work with blade helis. The DX6 is not DSM2 or DSMX.
Dec 06, 2012, 02:08 PM
Bugle6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Pilgrim
It sounds like the esc on the brick went south. It has happened to me twice on my 20-month old heli; the main motor went to full throttle and wouldn't back off even after I turned off the tx. Rather than buy my third brick I finally broke down and bought a whole new heli; transferring over the mods and upgrades was actually a lot of fun.

I put 4 Hyperion 550's thru the new bird at the gym last night; you'd think all the trims and mixes on my dx6i would simply carry over but n-o-o-o, I'm having to figure them out all over again. Gotta love this hobby, never a dull moment!
Do you suppose this is because the new heli responds so well, or is it because done so many mods to the old one that you had no idea that it weight 2 tons? That's what mine became, 2 tons.
Dec 06, 2012, 02:09 PM
Bugle6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake8131
Only the i version of the DX6 series will work with blade helis. The DX6 is not DSM2 or DSMX.
We had a discussion on this topic a while back and I cannot find it. I was given good info that I could indeed use the DX6 while my DX8 was in the shop. I never tried because the DX6 is not programmable, but you can use it for the 120 SR.
Dec 06, 2012, 02:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxguy1000
We had a discussion on this topic a while back and I cannot find it. I was given good info that I could indeed use the DX6 while my DX8 was in the shop. I never tried because the DX6 is not programmable, but you can use it for the 120 SR.
If you can remember which heli they were using in that discussion I'll search it myself...if my DX6 can be used I'd rather use it than the Tx that comes with the kit....
Dec 06, 2012, 03:26 PM
Epilepsy Awareness
I'm stretched for time at the moment, but I found a post in this thread where a member bound his Champ to a DX6. Use the "search this thread" at the top. Type in "DX6." You'll find it. If it binds to a Champ it should bind to a DX6. Right now I'm just guessing.

Maybe a modular of some sort was used

Mike.
Dec 06, 2012, 04:10 PM
Bugle6
My bad. The DX6 is the old DSM technology which is not compatible (I think) with the DSM2 in the 120 SR... The discussion I referred to was about the HP6DSM, the tx for the Blade SR. That discussion begins on page 303 (full version) and it does work with the 120 SR according to our forum friends. A DX4e, DX5e and DX6i will work with the 120 SR. If you have the $$, I strongly suggest purchasing the new DX7s or DX8. You have extra channels now, but they will be there if you decide to go to CP or other models. Their ease of use is worth the upgrade.
Last edited by Saxguy1000; Dec 06, 2012 at 05:25 PM.
Dec 06, 2012, 04:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxguy1000
My bad. The DX6 is the old DSM technology which is not compatible (I think) with the DSM2 in the 120 SR... The discussion I referred to was about the HP6DSM, the tx for the Blade SR. That discussion begins on page 303 and it does work with the 120 SR according to our forum friends. A DX4e, DX5e and DX6i will work with the 120 SR. If you have the $$, I strongly suggest purchasing the new DX7s or DX8. You have extra channels now, but they will be there if you decide to go to CP or other models. Their ease of use is worth the upgrade.
For now I'll probably just go with the RTF...I was just hoping I could use my DX6 Tx as it would be much better than the one that comes with the RTF kit...once I've had the heli for a while I can then decide if this will be a casual thing, or if I'll end up wanting to go full bore into the hobby...
Dec 06, 2012, 05:25 PM
Bugle6
I have had some problems--again--with power in both my helis and my airplanes. I think that it due to the fact that I am not storing my batteries correctly and I haven't been able to be out flying much in the last couple months. I found this notice in the Solo Pro FAQ:

Quote:
Finally, a warning!: It seems standard heli batteries for the Solo Pro are not fully up to the job. This is also discussed under "Power Options" with a graph to show it's lack of performance. The voltage drop can sometimes mess with the programming of the board, causing servo lockups as most common problem. As a precaution, it would be wise to get better batteries, and not to push flight times too far. This does not apply to the stock Bravo SX batteries, these are of better quality. Also check the metal battery contacts in the heli, bad contacts can also cause glitches.
This pretty much describes a lot of problems I see on this forum. Especially for those new to the 120 SR, the battery has to be respected as the source of not only the power, but the entire operating flight.

Quick Reply