Aug 26, 2012, 09:50 AM
I'm a Private Pilot and nothing is more fun than to fly several thousand feet above the country side and look 1/2 mile below you and see the sights.

But I can't stand to be in a tall building looking out the window or worst on a tall tower hanging on. My knees go weak. Just looking at a picture of people hanging on a tower and looking down makes my knees wooble. I do not like heights. But Flying is totally different.

What is funny is: they did a poll and MOST pilots are afraid of heights. But Flying a plane is such a different perspective than being on a platform or building.

So you are normal.........Mike is the strange one.....HA.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 26, 2012, 09:53 AM
Always Indecisive
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaXray1
I'm a Private Pilot and nothing is more fun than to fly several thousand feet above the country side and look 1/2 mile below you and see the sights.

But I can't stand to be in a tall building looking out the window or worst on a tall tower hanging on. My knees go weak. Just looking at a picture of people hanging on a tower and looking down makes my knees wooble. I do not like heights. But Flying is totally different.

What is funny is: they did a poll and MOST pilots are afraid of heights. But Flying a plane is such a different perspective than being on a platform or building.

So you are normal.........Mike is the strange one.....HA.
Wait so if I am afraid of heights, its still possible for me to become a pilot without passing out in the cockpit? I mean, when im a passenger in an airplane, I don't feel scared or anything. In fact, I always choose the window seat just so that i can look out the window! But is it different in the cockpit, or does it feel the same? Im just like you as well...in a tall building, my knees start to go weak...even on the upper floor of the mall which is why i avoid the mall. Now don't get me started on escalators....
Aug 26, 2012, 11:18 AM
Actually when I pilot the plane it is even more comfortable. I like to fly with others and I love to look out the front. I also select a window seat on the Airliners, but the be up front is the BEST. You will fit right in with us Pilots so persue your dream.
Aug 26, 2012, 11:26 AM
Always Indecisive
Really? Thats awesome! Never thought of it that way...Oh by the way, dont know if you know the answers to this, but do airline pilots get to come home everyday sort of how you do with a 9-5 job? Thats the biggest reason why i dont really want to become a pilot...i like coming home everyday.
Last edited by electricrc68; Aug 26, 2012 at 11:40 AM.
Aug 26, 2012, 01:13 PM
Well that all depends on the Airline and where you live verses where they have your homebase. Let's say you live in Phili and you fly out of Phili. You could be home every night. Because the Pilots duty cycle is like 10 hours. Then you have to be off for a time. But if you fly the international routes to say London and Moscow or Dubai. Then you will be gone several days in a row and then have off time. Usually your work schedule is like 2 weeks of working every day and then 2 weeks of not working at all, but maybe on standby if they need. The longer and more you work of course the more money you make. If you only do short simple flights in the US you can be paid pretty low on the scale.

Google "Airline pilot Pay" and see what there is out there.
Aug 26, 2012, 01:32 PM
Always Indecisive
Okay cool thanks.
Aug 26, 2012, 02:22 PM
No conspiracy in theory
"Hehehe yeah thats what i should do. Is that the formula to curing the pre maiden nervousness?"

Sorry,
there is no real cure for that! But once you've flown & scuba'd, your heart is officially strong enough to handle even the worst maiden flight!
(that's what they tell me anyway)
Mike.
Last edited by skorski; Aug 26, 2012 at 02:29 PM.
Aug 26, 2012, 02:34 PM
No conspiracy in theory
AX,
"So you are normal.........Mike is the strange one.....HA."

What?!?!
Mike.
Aug 26, 2012, 02:38 PM
No conspiracy in theory
I'll try to be on from 8:30 till ???
Mike.
Aug 26, 2012, 02:44 PM
No conspiracy in theory
No "Duck Dynasty" tonite so i'll be looking for y'all!
Mike.
Aug 26, 2012, 02:47 PM
Always Indecisive
Quote:
Originally Posted by skorski

Sorry,
there is no real cure for that! But once you've flown & scuba'd, your heart is officially strong enough to handle even the worst maiden flight!
(that's what they tell me anyway)
Mike.
okay hehehe thanks then.
Aug 26, 2012, 02:53 PM
No conspiracy in theory
It used to bother me to rappell until I stalled a hang-gliider in from about 50 feet! After that it was no big deal!
However, I still don't care for man-made structures over 3 stories tall!
Mike.
Aug 26, 2012, 03:33 PM
Always Indecisive
Dang...you are one brave man....
Aug 26, 2012, 05:23 PM
Mike gets confused at times, he is thinking scuba diving and ends up flying under a bridge. HA.
Aug 26, 2012, 05:39 PM
Always Indecisive
haha thats probably true.

Quick Reply