Lift Ticket to Norway DVD Review - RC Groups

Lift Ticket to Norway DVD Review

If I told the average modeler I wanted to go to the Arctic Circle to fly slope soaring, well, youíd probably want to have me committed...

Splash

Introduction

Venue: North America
Media: Replicated DVD
Format: DVD from Digital Master
Audio: Dolby Digital
Packaging: Standard DVD case w/ Color Artwork
Regions: All (worldwide compatibility)
Runtime: 110 minutes
Guarantee: 30-day money back
Retail Price: $29.95
Available: http://www.ReeseProductions.com

OK, well letís not start in the Arctic Circle. Letís start at Stavanger, travel north to VÝringsfossen, BeitostÝlen, through Molde, Bud and Kristiansund, then hop a ferry to the Lofoten Islands in the Arctic Circle and spend 4 glorious days with 20 hours of daylight flying at one of the most majestic sites in the world. If you didnít live in the far north-western portion of Europe, or you hadnít seen the title of this review, youíd more than likely have no idea where we were talking about. We are, of course, talking about Norway.

Contents

Lift Ticket to Norway is a documentary film of an epic three week road trip with four friends. Join producer Dave Reese, Bob and Darcy Bingham, and host Espen Torp as they travel and fly some of the most majestic and stunning slopes in the world.

I donít know what your preconceived ideas about Norway may be, but mine shattered the first time I saw the trailer for Lift Ticket to Norway. While is is true that itís cold there most of the year, itís also beautiful and has many excellent slope sites. As you look at the scenery, youíll see that much of Norway is made up of rock formations which can, of course, makes landings dicey. Fortunately, our group of flyers are all excellent pilots and can pretty much keep from damaging a plane upon landing.

Iím only going to touch on some of the highlights of the DVD because honestly, there isnít enough room in an article to cover all of the great places and sights shown on Lift Ticket to Norway.

The opening minutes of the DVD set the stage for what will turn out to be a fun trip for the pilots and the audience. It doesnít take long to get into the flying portion of the trip as Dave launches Espenís Wizard Compact into a strong breeze at Hestvarden. Quickly youíll see why Espen is one of the worlds top pilots with his smooth, flowing style of flying. Energetic music accompanies the footage, and I found the music to be fitting for the DVD.

Lysebotn Fjord is the next site and Espen meets up with his flying buddy Trond Olsen as they try their hands slope soaring the Majko. The Majko is a Slovakian model made by Karol Mrva. Fortunately for them, the Majko is an electric glider since the motor was required to overcome the sink. Every slope pilot knows you take a chance weather-wise anytime you plan a trip, and having something to fly when the winds donít cooperate is a must. I donít care how good of a pilot you are, I think youíll find this landing zone pretty difficult. The actual trip begins now as the three previous days were gratis.

VÝeringsfossen falls is the first stop. It's beautiful, and it's easy to see why this is a popular tourist spot. Bob launches the SPLO, a Spanish made DLG that didnít make it to the market, and didnít back to the top of the hill either.

The following day everyone meets up with world class flyer JoJo Grini to fly the slopes around BeitostÝlen. While waiting for the wind to blow, Espen gives the SPLO a few tosses. Once the wind comes up and makes the slope flyable, JoJo flies an ASW27 in scalelike fashion. The following day is an easy one as the group does some sight seeing. Even in July, light jackets are needed.

Cruise ships and tour buses are next. And after Dave makes a quick flight with the Majko, the group is off to tour Geiranger. I have to tell you, itís hard to keep your eyes on the airplane with all of the beautiful scenery.

I will skip to the end of the DVD for the final locations, the sites in the Arctic Circle, I can say without reservation that the Lofoten Islands contain some of the most spectacular views of any flying site Iíve ever seen. Even if you didnít get to fly after making the 1800 mile drive, plus another 600 or so mile ferry trip, the beauty of the islands are worth the time.

At the departure location in the Lofoten Island, the group meets up with Espenís friend Kjell Sture Johansen. Hopes were high for flying the following day. Since the slopes are fairly untraveled and no roads exist, hiking is the order of the day. The flying sites are too far from the vans so you are required to bring all of the planes youíll fly along with a small repair kit. With some great slopes and mild conditions, the guys were able to fly just about every model they brought and Dave even got in some low-wind DS flying under his belt.

However, the next day they arrive at what turns out to be a slope paradise, and their most anticipated slopes on the island of VśrÝy. To say the scenery is spectacular is an understatement. Unfortunately, the lift didnít cooperate this day and was only strong enough to allow Espen and Dave to make a few passes and land, make a few passes and land, wash/rinse/repeat . Fortunately the landing zone in most of flyable areas had some grass to land on instead of trying to dodge a rock-cluttered countryside.

Day two turns out to be an excellent day for both front and back side flying as Bob wrings out a Wizard Compact and gives it a workout. Unfortunately for Espen, he wind dies off though he is doing his best to keep the Majko sailplane version above the rim. This is the second farthest off-site landing, and it required a boat to retrieve the model! Fortunately, or unfortunately depending on your outlook, the plane landed on a huge rock (which was better than in the ocean I guess). Youíll be amazed how far down Espen flew the plane. Frankly, Iím in awe of his depth perception.

Day three offers some great flying on a bowl-shaped hill. They couldnít DS due to the shape of the site, but the front side was definitely on. Espen was able to put on a show with an Aris. Later that evening, they got to try their hands with a Graupner Funky Chicken, and flew it around in the parking lot to the amazement of the bystanders. Finally, the DVD closes with Bob flying the SPLO. Itís a perfect ending to an outstanding DVD.

Flight Video/Photo Gallery

http://www.reeseproductions.com/mpegs.html

Conclusion

Dave and his team have outdone themselves with Lift Ticket to Norway. I think many people will have a different outlook on Norway after watching this DVD; I know it made me envious to get to fly there. Espen was the perfect guide, and everyone had a great time. The DVD is expertly shot, edited and narrated. Due to some language issues, it needs to be rated PG, but other than that, itís the perfect DVD to watch when itís too hot or cold to fly. This is a DVD you'll watch again and again!

Pluses:

• Incredible views of a far-away land
  • Entertaining

Minuses:

• Some language prevents it from being rated "G"
Last edited by Angela H; Jan 13, 2011 at 02:56 PM..
Jan 13, 2011, 03:45 PM
.....till the wind drops.
Agreed!!
I bought "Lift Ticket" and "Directors Cut"
Thoroughly enjoyed both!!
If the SA Rand was not so weak, I'd be there!!......Norway.
Well done to all involved!!
Jan 18, 2011, 05:55 AM
Just a head on a stick!
nice scenery and thats about it ......... boring as
Jan 18, 2011, 06:32 PM
Tobias (aka glider hangaround)
I liked it very much. Its a roadtrip movie with slope flying as a theme, and it shows the ups and downs of such a trip when your objective is based upon weather and its unpredictability. Downdays is a smaller or bigger part of every such trip, and these guys showed a great sense of enthusiasm even though the wind was mostly absent. The happinees they showed in every flying scene despite this and the great scenery they showed made the film very nice and worth watching all the way through. They really made something great out of the hand they where dealt. Two big thumbs up from me.
Jan 19, 2011, 02:02 AM
DWA
DWA
1Corinthians 13:1-8
Good review and it was a good DVD.
Unfortunately the F bomb was dropped several times so I could not watch it with my young kids. Sad because the bad language was so unnecessary.

Dave
Latest blog entry: Carbon Fiber Bird
Jan 19, 2011, 06:28 AM
Just a head on a stick!
im just glad that there are other places to fly ........
Jan 19, 2011, 10:38 AM
Taranis Tyro...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfcreek119
im just glad that there are other places to fly ........
Your point?
Jan 19, 2011, 07:15 PM
Just a head on a stick!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyB
Your point?
point is i watched the dvd and why would i want to go to fly there ,,,, from what i seen the lift was crap ,,, nice scenery , we went on a flying holiday last year and had better flying than what was in the dvd ,,,, one can only say that your easy amussed ,,,, wolf
Jan 20, 2011, 10:00 AM
Taranis Tyro...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfcreek119
point is i watched the dvd and why would i want to go to fly there ,,,, from what i seen the lift was crap ,,, nice scenery , we went on a flying holiday last year and had better flying than what was in the dvd ,,,, one can only say that your easy amussed ,,,, wolf
OK - so because they were unlucky and happened to have low winds the week they were there, it's automatically a rubbish place to fly? If you've never been skunked, you can't have flown much slope. Criticising them for the weather is ridiculous; it's not like they could replan a trip like this at the drop of a hat when they've travelled thousands of miles to get there. They made the best video they could in the circumstances, and I for one am glad they did.

PS - I think your comma key is broken...
Last edited by MattyB; Jan 20, 2011 at 12:26 PM.
Jan 20, 2011, 04:29 PM
Just a head on a stick!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyB
OK - so because they were unlucky and happened to have low winds the week they were there, it's automatically a rubbish place to fly? If you've never been skunked, you can't have flown much slope. Criticising them for the weather is ridiculous; it's not like they could replan a trip like this at the drop of a hat when they've travelled thousands of miles to get there. They made the best video they could in the circumstances, and I for one am glad they did.

PS - I think your comma key is broken...
Exactly if i paid all that coin for a trip to fly there i would want my money back
and keep whineing good work
Jan 20, 2011, 05:52 PM
Answer the far call.
Sorry I do not agree with this review, I was very disapointed with the dvd after waiting 3 or so years from the announcement that a sequel to the original Lift Ticket was in production.

Yes the scenery is great but I did not buy a travel or road movie, I bought a movie that from the blurbs was to be about great slope soaring.

By all means buy a copy of Lift Ticket, it is still a good couple of hours spent in front of your TV but save your money on this one!

Regards
Feb 15, 2011, 03:04 AM
Go FASST or go home...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl Wallis57
Sorry I do not agree with this review, I was very disapointed with the dvd after waiting 3 or so years from the announcement that a sequel to the original Lift Ticket was in production.

Yes the scenery is great but I did not buy a travel or road movie, I bought a movie that from the blurbs was to be about great slope soaring.

By all means buy a copy of Lift Ticket, it is still a good couple of hours spent in front of your TV but save your money on this one!

Regards
Unfortunately I must agree with you... Scenery is nice, and I really enjoy flying here in Norway. As a local I know that they travelled by some of the best slopes in South Western Norway Places where there almost is lift all the times. Neither did they visit the beautiful slopes of North Western Norway either...

But, Norway is maybe one of the best places in the world for sloping, so when Lift ticket does not show them, Iīll share some of the fun with you

På Vårlige Vinder 2009 Part 1 (7 min 29 sec)

På Vårlige Vinder 2009 Part 2 (4 min 50 sec)

DS Soaring at bokn Arild Møllerhaug (1 min 54 sec)

Windrider Airbus A380 on slope (4 min 19 sec)

Lofotuka Storfly / Large scale sailplane (4 min 34 sec)

As a last coment I did not find the quality of the production very good either. My flying buddy AndersH who made some of these videos delivers quality in production that has a higher level in my opinion...

Ben_E
Feb 15, 2011, 09:24 AM
Biting ankles since '53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl Wallis57

This.
Feb 19, 2011, 05:05 PM
ReeseProductions.com
Thanks for the review and your feedback George. I really appreciate the time and energy you put into this review. Thank-you!

To DWA-Dave post #4:
I'd like to apologize about the F bomb surprise. I can see where this could cause problems for parents watching with their children. I've made a note on my website so folks will know the two places the word is used in the movie so they can avoid them if little ones are present. I should have thought of this sooner and appreciate your feedback.

To Daryl, post #11:
I'm sorry to hear the movie didn't meet your expectations. In fairness though Lift Ticket to Norway was never billed as a ballistic slope soaring movie like the original Lift Ticket. I believe the movie trailer also reflects the contents of the movie and is not misleading. The movie was never billed or advertised as anything different then the blurbs on my website which reads;

"Join Dave Reese, Bob & Darcy Bingham and Espen Torp on their epic 3 week R/C road trip from the South of Norway, near the city of Stavanger, to the unspoiled and magical islands of the Lofoten Archipelago in the North. Norway's native son and expert R/C pilot, Espen Torp, leads the expedition as they explore Norway's majestic scenery and some of it's most stunning slopes.

Their journey is as much about the scenic beauty that Norway has to offer as it is about flying R/C Gliders at some truly spectacular and unique locations. This was a slope soaring expedition and adventure of a lifetime. Lift Ticket to Norway."

I'd also like to encourage folks to read this thread which I think received a broad range of feedback and constructive criticisms about the movie shortly after it was released in April 2010. Give it a read and I think you will have a pretty good idea about what you can expect from this movie.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...=904884&page=3

Lastly, FWIW, returns are allowed to be made within 30 days of purchase for a full refund less shipping fees.

Best regards,

Dave Reese
Reese Productions
Feb 23, 2011, 08:47 AM
Biting ankles since '53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Reese
Lastly, FWIW, returns are allowed to be made within 30 days of purchase for a full refund less shipping fees.
I wish I'd known.
I am however looking forward to getting a copy of the original Lift Ticket.