Jan 17, 2018, 08:00 AM
That's a big 3D Delta!
to remove ads between posts
Jan 17, 2018, 10:09 AM
I meant to do that. Honest!
It won't be a delta, it's going to be a conventional mid- wing airplane. I don't really know enough about deltas to be able to design one. I've designed a number of airplanes made from balsa and ply but I'm kinda new to using foam. This will be my second foam design.

One of my balsa designs can be flown as a low wing or a shoulder wing or a parasol wing or a biplane. It has two wings, one wing saddle cover and, and a removable cabane assembly. I don't think anything like it has ever been done before.
Sep 10, 2020, 07:13 AM
Decided to give scaled-down versions another try. The 'big' delta is about 205 in. sq, whilst the little one is about 76 in. sq.

RTF Weights (with battery): Big Delta, 123 gm., Nano Delta 32 gm. Both are made from pink house foam cut down to 1/8" thick. Power & radio for the big delta were left over from my wife's deceased 22" RA Cores Yak, whilst the gear for the nano delta comes from Minimum R/C and HobbyKing.

I deleted the KFM steps and I added a 1/8" bamboo skewer for a spar on the bigger delta.

Originally, I had a direct drive system on the nano delta, but it was horribly underpowered. Replacing it with a geared drive made a tremendous difference. I also had to move the CGs on both deltas forwards, to avoid the tendency for the model to hang on their props.

Note; The pad under the models has 1" squares on it.

CD
Sep 11, 2020, 05:24 PM
Just a note about the Nano Mambo; I'm posting it in the scratch-built micro forum.

CD
Sep 22, 2020, 06:03 PM
Build, crash...repeat
Can you use a prop saver? Then you practically canít break a prop. Almost never anyway.
Sep 23, 2020, 08:56 AM
"Some do, some don't"
Quote:
Originally Posted by AleRRon
Can you use a prop saver? Then you practically canít break a prop. Almost never anyway.
They ought to call them "plane savers" does alot more than just save the prop, saves the motor and the motor mount, thus protecting the airframe
Sep 23, 2020, 10:36 AM
Kit Manufacturer
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_coastie
They ought to call them "plane savers" does alot more than just save the prop, saves the motor and the motor mount, thus protecting the airframe
Good to see you posting!
Latest blog entry: Release of our 40" EPP Yak55 XL
Sep 23, 2020, 10:50 AM
"Some do, some don't"
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman
Good to see you posting!
I'm back....
Sep 25, 2020, 12:41 PM
Lost the nano Delta today, when one elevon pushrod failed. It was heat-shrinked and CA'd, but it still failed. Oh well, now I have a free receiver to build something else for.

CD

Quick Reply