3D-Delta, 3d epp KF delta jet, *VIDEO* *PLANS* - Page 4 - RC Groups
Jul 09, 2010, 01:11 PM
flyin' fool
Overcoming the dihedral effect of the LE sweep when in KE is easy with a rudder and elevator hanging off the back end. Now, if you can just figure out away to get the same effect with just elevons and rudder.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 09, 2010, 06:39 PM
RIP Azarr - "Old age is not for sissies"
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldguy
Overcoming the dihedral effect of the LE sweep when in KE is easy with a rudder and elevator hanging off the back end. Now, if you can just figure out away to get the same effect with just elevons and rudder.
Which is why the Extreme Flight Outlaw has anhedral. I've built 2 indoor foamy versions that were killed at E-Fest and both worked well. Got too bored with it to do a 3rd. The true delta planform 45 deg didn't hurt either, less sweep = less dihedral effect.

Time to stop messing with it and publish some plans so the rest of us can experiment with it

Azarr
Jul 09, 2010, 06:55 PM
Winging it >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azarr
Which is why the Extreme Flight Outlaw has anhedral. I've built 2 indoor foamy versions that were killed at E-Fest and both worked well. Got too bored with it to do a 3rd. The true delta planform 45 deg didn't hurt either, less sweep = less dihedral effect.

Time to stop messing with it and publish some plans so the rest of us can experiment with it

Azarr
OK, it is time to get the plans going. Shouldn't be too hard, it is a simple build and I made templates of the fuse/rudder.
Jul 09, 2010, 07:01 PM
When pigs fly rc
awesome I cant wait.........
Jul 09, 2010, 09:57 PM
Winging it >
Here's a quick video from this evening flying outdoors. Not the best video but I wanted some reference with a BW motor. Tomorrow I'm planning on installing the bigger motor.

3D Delta Outside on Blue Wonder Motor.wmv (1 min 40 sec)
Jul 10, 2010, 04:25 PM
That is very nice. Can't wait for the plans. Good job LF
Jul 12, 2010, 01:21 PM
Ken's CAD Models
Got the modelling done in SU today. Now to take it to TurboCAD for the Drafting side.

Ken
Last edited by dz1sfb; Jul 13, 2010 at 02:56 PM. Reason: added pic's
Jul 15, 2010, 10:40 PM
Winging it >

Power

I tested the large motor this evening. It would definitely fly faster but at full power and high speed the frame started twisting and it wanted to roll to the left. The motor was probably pulling 200 + watts. I'm going to put the Blue Wonder motor back on, it is a very good fit for this plane flying some 3D stuff.
Jul 16, 2010, 10:21 AM
Planning my fleet for the upcoming indoor season and would love to have one of these. Are you going to publish plans?

Azarr
Jul 16, 2010, 11:21 AM
Winging it >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azarr
Planning my fleet for the upcoming indoor season and would love to have one of these. Are you going to publish plans?

Azarr
Plans are in the work; shouldn't be much longer.
Jul 16, 2010, 02:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfeather
Plans are in the work; shouldn't be much longer.
Outstanding, thanks.

Azarr
Jul 17, 2010, 04:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfeather
I tested the large motor this evening. It would definitely fly faster but at full power and high speed the frame started twisting and it wanted to roll to the left. The motor was probably pulling 200 + watts. I'm going to put the Blue Wonder motor back on, it is a very good fit for this plane flying some 3D stuff.
I don't know the width of the wing; but from the photo I can see that the width of the wing is not large enough to fight the torque of the prop when it spins powerfully.

Can't wait to see the plans.

Thanks,
JH
Jul 21, 2010, 01:20 PM
This one I have to build! Foam should be here shortly, everything else I have laying around looking for a home.
Jul 21, 2010, 05:55 PM
Ken's CAD Models
Plans have been submitted for approval.

Ken
Latest blog entry: Ken's CAD Models new web site
Jul 21, 2010, 08:04 PM
When pigs fly rc
awesome