Jul 01, 2011, 08:53 AM
Is anyone using mixing on this plane?
I have yet to add any mixing (beyond elevon) to any of my models.
I am now going to put my flying time into this model to work on hovering and inverted flight, both of which I can do for a short period of time.

I know that this is all peronal preference, but the rudder creates a lot of role. Is this called coupling? I actually find myself using opposite aileron when turning. (other times I just use the ailerons, bank and yank). I had thought about mixing in some opposite aileron to the rudder.

I just wondered what other are doing.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 02, 2011, 03:34 AM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fstauble
... the rudder creates a lot of role. Is this called coupling? I actually find myself using opposite aileron when turning. (other times I just use the ailerons, bank and yank). I had thought about mixing in some opposite aileron to the rudder.

As far as I know, this is called yaw-roll coupling and it is often found in airplanes.
The airplanes I have certainly seem to have it, and I tend to often use opposite aileron when turning, especially in slow flight, where a bank may lose enough lift to crash a plane.
Jul 02, 2011, 08:43 AM
Winging it >
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fstauble
Is anyone using mixing on this plane?
I have yet to add any mixing (beyond elevon) to any of my models.
I am now going to put my flying time into this model to work on hovering and inverted flight, both of which I can do for a short period of time.

I know that this is all peronal preference, but the rudder creates a lot of role. Is this called coupling? I actually find myself using opposite aileron when turning. (other times I just use the ailerons, bank and yank). I had thought about mixing in some opposite aileron to the rudder.

Deltas have lots of yaw/roll coupling. At low speeds you can do all of the turning/steering with the rudder if you chose. To do slow speed flat turns you have to apply opposite aileron and a little up elevator. This is typical of many types of planes.
Sep 05, 2011, 07:56 PM
ChuckB

3D Delta

Leadfeather,
I am very insterested in the 3D Delta. However I would like to build it using
6mm foam and possibly adding 3mm if needed. Would like to build the
I believe the 24 x 6 inch wingspan version. Do you think this is possible with depron instead of EPP?
Regards,
Chuckb
Sep 05, 2011, 08:58 PM
Winging it >
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckB
Leadfeather,
I am very insterested in the 3D Delta. However I would like to build it using
6mm foam and possibly adding 3mm if needed. Would like to build the
I believe the 24 x 6 inch wingspan version. Do you think this is possible with depron instead of EPP?
Regards,
Chuckb
Chuckb,

Yep, just sub 6mm Depron for 9mm epp and your good to go. It will have a better top speed with a Depron build. Just be sure to give the leading edge some shape and I think you'll be very happy with the performance and great flight characteristics both fast and slow. Good luck with your build.
Sep 24, 2011, 03:25 PM
ChuckB

3D Delta

I have just about finished my 3D Delta. Much to my surprise I find that some have the step on the wing top and not on the bottom. Mine is on the bottom using 6mm main wing and 3mm kf step. I will be using a 2808-1400 motor and a 7 x 3 sf prop. Any suggestions before the maiden flight. I did a power test with this setup and it was 99 watts at 9 amps. The AUW = 12.4oz. I hope to post some pictures and maiden it in about a week. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Chuck
Dec 29, 2011, 09:14 PM
Hey, watch this!
I've been flying FireFlies and a SuperFly for that past couple months, all are fun. I just finished construction of the 3D Delta but won't get to fly til Sunday afternoon. I just wanted to thanks for sharing your designs.

Addendum . . .

OK, so I have no 'sales resistance'. While the Gorilla glue is drying on a Super SLow 28 I took the bull by the horns and snuck out to the field for a quicky test of the 3D Delta. I should have guessed that the wind at the field would be a little daunting when I saw downed limbs blown onto the road in several places. But heck fire, they don't call me "Rabid Raymond" for nothing (has nothing to do with foaming at the mouth, which I hardly do anymore at all).

So, the gale is blowing so hard I can hardly get the car door open to extract the new bird - but I cannot be turned back now. Quick checks and everyting looks normal. Since there is no question fron which direction the wind is coming, I step boldly forward and launch.

Now haven't we all had times when we wished someone had been filming us? To capture our finest moments - or perhaps to win big bucks from that "Funny" TV show? This time my 'performance' would have revealed the grace of the ballet dancer with the athleticism of a tight end as I whipped around 180 degrees to keep up with my rapidly disappearing model as it plumetted downwind. Ah but wouldn't my fellow Golden Agers have been proud of the skil and dexterity I exhibited as I masterfully gained control and fought our way back to the field.

Yes, I breathed a sigh when she touched down somewhat less than gracefully - but what was that? Could I have heard faint applause from somewhere in the clouds above?
Last edited by Raymond-leflyr; Dec 30, 2011 at 05:32 PM.
Dec 29, 2011, 11:56 PM
Winging it >
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond-leflyr
I've been flying FireFlies and a SuperFly for that past couple months, all are fun. I just finished construction of the 3D Delta but won't get to fly til Sunday afternoon. I just wanted to thanks for sharing your designs.
Good luck with the maiden flight.

This is a really 3D capable yet easy to fly delta, the original prototype is still going strong.
Jan 01, 2012, 01:08 AM
ChangeBegins AtTheDinnerTable
Mine is almost ready
Name: IMAG0298.jpg
Views: 111
Size: 109.3 KB
Description:
Jan 01, 2012, 09:09 AM
Winging it >
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond-leflyr

Addendum . . .

OK, so I have no 'sales resistance'. While the Gorilla glue is drying on a Super SLow 28 I took the bull by the horns and snuck out to the field for a quicky test of the 3D Delta. I should have guessed that the wind at the field would be a little daunting when I saw downed limbs blown onto the road in several places. But heck fire, they don't call me "Rabid Raymond" for nothing (has nothing to do with foaming at the mouth, which I hardly do anymore at all).

So, the gale is blowing so hard I can hardly get the car door open to extract the new bird - but I cannot be turned back now. Quick checks and everyting looks normal. Since there is no question fron which direction the wind is coming, I step boldly forward and launch.

Now haven't we all had times when we wished someone had been filming us? To capture our finest moments - or perhaps to win big bucks from that "Funny" TV show? This time my 'performance' would have revealed the grace of the ballet dancer with the athleticism of a tight end as I whipped around 180 degrees to keep up with my rapidly disappearing model as it plumetted downwind. Ah but wouldn't my fellow Golden Agers have been proud of the skil and dexterity I exhibited as I masterfully gained control and fought our way back to the field.

Yes, I breathed a sigh when she touched down somewhat less than gracefully - but what was that? Could I have heard faint applause from somewhere in the clouds above?
Raymond,

Nice job on the recovery. As you probably have discovered the 3D Delta has two personalities. At low speed super agile and maneuverable, but level out and throttle up and it locks into very stable high speed forward flight.

Looking forward to more flight reports!
Jan 01, 2012, 09:10 AM
Winging it >
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by killowatt
Mine is almost ready
Attachment 4520205
Looks great! Good luck on the maiden flight!
Jan 03, 2012, 02:26 PM
Could someone pray to the 20 mph wind gods and tell them to quit !
Jan 03, 2012, 06:01 PM
Reap the wild wind
20 mph, no problem. It's the 60 mph winds here that are the problem
Andy
Jan 03, 2012, 07:41 PM
ChrisG does 3D!
Some carbon to prevent that big wing from flexing is a good idea. Deltas like to have the wings warp, or twist in flight. It makes for insensitive roll response and silly highspeed handling. If you want to get as much roll out of that machine as possible, I would recommend putting some carbon struts in there somewhere.

Chris G.
Jan 03, 2012, 11:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by headlessagain
20 mph, no problem. It's the 60 mph winds here that are the problem
Andy
I should clarify... It's the 20 mph winds with 20 degree weather ... I know, i know its colder somewhere else and i should be happy . But this is the South and I aint 20 anymore

Quick Reply