Sep 07, 2010, 03:26 PM
Onward through the fog.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davereap
Yes where you put the cog will determine whether you fly it as a more normal delta or one that is almost 3D..I only say almost, because I still cant get the beast to knife edge..
At the 3D position you have to be well on top of its control, looping in its own length and rolling in the blink of an eye, does not make it an easy plane to manage. But it will expand our abilities, it has mine already...
Perhaps for me, a 75% version with the same motor...
It's on the back burner after 2 current projects are finished and tested. There will be another 3D Delta, downsiized for the BW motors I have. Soon!

Yesterday I just bought 10 sheets of 2'x4' 1/2" foam and 40 glue sticks for less than $20.00. That's about 15 planes. I have in stock over a gallon of white glue, 4 rolls of Drywall tape (Up to 6 planes per roll), half a gallon of latex gloss white and tons of tint in assorted colors.

"Fly when the weather is good. Build when it isn't."

Steve.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 11, 2010, 03:03 AM
Hello everyone,I'm new to this forum,just wanted to let you know that I made a 3d delta as well.Crashed it during maiden flight,I just wasn't able to control it with the CG beeing back so far.
Repairs are done,if the wheather allows it I'll have another try.
Thomas
Last edited by thlinke; Jun 13, 2013 at 10:45 AM.
Sep 11, 2010, 07:47 AM
Winging it >
Thomas, the cg was revised to 13". Is that where you had it set?

Good luck next time out!
Sep 11, 2010, 12:36 PM
I had it 14" back,missed the update.
I'll try out tomorrow.
Thomas
Sep 11, 2010, 05:17 PM
Onward through the fog.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thlinke
Hello everyone,I'm new to this forum,just wanted to let you know that I made a 3d delta as well.Crashed it during maiden flight,I just wasn't able to control it with the CG beeing back so far.
Repairs are done,if the wheather allows it I'll have another try.
Thomas
Welcome aboard, Thomas!!!

Nice finish on the Delta. Simple and elegant.

Steve.
Sep 12, 2010, 07:11 AM
Leadfeather...ive gone away from the delta and built a larger version of your Yak55..I figured this should give me a fully 3d airplane...It has turned out too big and heavier than I wanted so I will be going down to your original size but made from 6mm depron...my post for the big yak is on the 42"beefy thread by motorhead..
Sep 13, 2010, 05:51 AM
Thank you Steve.
Have flown the Delta yesterday,CG was set to 325 mm from the motormount.
It behaves very nice and performs good even at windy conditions.
Now I can start playing with the CG.
Thomas
Sep 13, 2010, 03:07 PM
if i have to extend my wires what should i extend//my batt to esc,or esc to motor???
Sep 13, 2010, 03:45 PM
Winging it >
Quote:
Originally Posted by planeflyer94
if i have to extend my wires what should i extend//my batt to esc,or esc to motor???
Which ever helps the most for balance to get you battery close to the cg.
Sep 13, 2010, 04:14 PM
I thought you wernt supposed to extend your battery wires???
Sep 13, 2010, 04:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by planeflyer94
You always want to extend the motor leads. AC doesn't mind the extra distance, but you can run into issues if you extend the battery leads.

Rob
Sep 13, 2010, 05:16 PM
Winging it >
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangrob
You always want to extend the motor leads. AC doesn't mind the extra distance, but you can run into issues if you extend the battery leads.

Rob
Are there other issues than just the wire losses?

I have extended battery leads with good success. I always go up a wire size for the extensions to minimize any extra losses.
Sep 14, 2010, 01:53 PM
Reap the wild wind
-Hi all
re extending lipo or motor wires. I had the same query when building GPW's 28" Skyray and eventually read several posts that suggested that motor wires should be the 1st choice is you have to extend.See post 1672 https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...s#post14531634.
Hope this helps
Head
Sep 14, 2010, 05:32 PM
Winging it >
Quote:
Originally Posted by headlessagain
-Hi all
re extending lipo or motor wires. I had the same query when building GPW's 28" Skyray and eventually read several posts that suggested that motor wires should be the 1st choice is you have to extend.See post 1672 https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...s#post14531634.
Hope this helps
Head
Thanks for the links. I've gone through all of them and my head is spinning. This thread has a lot of good debate. There are experts on both sides of the issue on which leads to extend if you have to. From what I've read regarding some of the issues with extending motor leads or battery leads are for really long extensions... over a foot.

From what I've read it seems like extending either may be OK if you are just adding a few inches. Also there was a comment that for park flyer type set up (not high performance, or running near the esc's full capacity ) or lower power use extending the battery leads was preferable. I'm still not sure if their is a definitive answer on this question??
Oct 03, 2010, 10:29 PM
Guys,

Thought I'd share some pics of my 3D Delta. I built and flew it at NEAT (well, actually "kitted" it at home and built it there ). Fourth flight was during the Saturday night "slow-fly" contest, and have ended up tweaking it a bit since then. I'm really enjoying the design, and think she's a keeper.

I built her pretty much per Leadfeather's design, with a few small mods. I went with the 24" span and used 9mm EPP, and added 6mm carbon fiber flat stock to the control surface trailing edges to give a little more authority. As a few other guys did, I doubled up on the fuse top (using 6mm EPP), but did this for more than just rigidity. The most significant mod was the addition of an internal LED lighting system. I'm a big fan of night flying, and normally fly balsa built-up planes in this role. However I really wanted something that I could enjoy without the stress of doing something stupid with my thumbs and rekitting the plane. EPP was my answer, and after a bunch of research the 3D Delta fit the mark perfectly.

With the extra foam and lighting system I ended up building more of a sport delta than 3D delta (13.5oz AUW w/o battery), but I'm still playing with CG and throws so she'll likely get more nimble as time progresses. She's not real fast but since I upgraded motors she now has very good vertical and is very stable and responsive. In other words, all the right attributes for a good night flyer

Right now I'm running a BP 2217-7 outrunner with a 9x7 Graupner folder (165W on a 800mah 3s1p). I was originally using a 2212-10 and 8x4 APC prop but that wasn't enough power and I kept losing props with the prop saver (tried the collet mount but always broke the prop on landing). The folder is a very nice compromise

Anywho, here are a few pics.

Later...

Rob