Jan 17, 2018, 08:00 AM
That's a big 3D Delta!
to remove ads between posts
Jan 17, 2018, 10:09 AM
I meant to do that. Honest!
It won't be a delta, it's going to be a conventional mid- wing airplane. I don't really know enough about deltas to be able to design one. I've designed a number of airplanes made from balsa and ply but I'm kinda new to using foam. This will be my second foam design.

One of my balsa designs can be flown as a low wing or a shoulder wing or a parasol wing or a biplane. It has two wings, one wing saddle cover and, and a removable cabane assembly. I don't think anything like it has ever been done before.
Sep 10, 2020, 07:13 AM
Closed Account
Decided to give scaled-down versions another try. The 'big' delta is about 205 in. sq, whilst the little one is about 76 in. sq.

RTF Weights (with battery): Big Delta, 123 gm., Nano Delta 32 gm. Both are made from pink house foam cut down to 1/8" thick. Power & radio for the big delta were left over from my wife's deceased 22" RA Cores Yak, whilst the gear for the nano delta comes from Minimum R/C and HobbyKing.

I deleted the KFM steps and I added a 1/8" bamboo skewer for a spar on the bigger delta.

Originally, I had a direct drive system on the nano delta, but it was horribly underpowered. Replacing it with a geared drive made a tremendous difference. I also had to move the CGs on both deltas forwards, to avoid the tendency for the model to hang on their props.

Note; The pad under the models has 1" squares on it.

CD
Sep 11, 2020, 05:24 PM
Closed Account
Just a note about the Nano Mambo; I'm posting it in the scratch-built micro forum.

CD
Sep 22, 2020, 06:03 PM
Build, crash...repeat
Can you use a prop saver? Then you practically can’t break a prop. Almost never anyway.
Sep 23, 2020, 08:56 AM
"Some do, some don't"
Quote:
Originally Posted by AleRRon
Can you use a prop saver? Then you practically can’t break a prop. Almost never anyway.
They ought to call them "plane savers" does alot more than just save the prop, saves the motor and the motor mount, thus protecting the airframe
Latest blog entry: bringbacktheumxjug
Sep 23, 2020, 10:36 AM
Kit Manufacturer
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_coastie
They ought to call them "plane savers" does alot more than just save the prop, saves the motor and the motor mount, thus protecting the airframe
Good to see you posting!
Sep 23, 2020, 10:50 AM
"Some do, some don't"
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman
Good to see you posting!
I'm back....
Sep 25, 2020, 12:41 PM
Closed Account
Lost the nano Delta today, when one elevon pushrod failed. It was heat-shrinked and CA'd, but it still failed. Oh well, now I have a free receiver to build something else for.

CD
Nov 24, 2020, 01:28 PM
"Some do, some don't"

Old Plane New Life

Greetings All,

Following my recent passion of revisiting old planes and bringing them back into the active flying roster...

Me and this plane went round and round before we came to a meeting of the minds... I am absolutely happy with the outcome...

Mark R.

old_coastie

3D Delta End of Great Day Flying (5 min 45 sec)
Dec 21, 2020, 05:05 PM
"Some do, some don't"

A Tale of Two Planes

Following the success of the mods I made to my original 3D Delta, I decided to build another that was "lighter" (Note: I said "lighter" NOT light) Incorporated mods made to my original plane with some fine tuning, also applied some building tricks that I have learned from others over the years, and I hope I have added a few tricks to the hobby along the way.

Anyway same basic RA Cores kit, built for durability not to minimize weight, although compared to the AUW weight of my original 3DD this plane is a feather weight.

This was put together with the Original RA Cores kit and electronics that I had laying around not actively flying in any airframe.

Vid now, more detailed pics if there is any interest.

This is the full uncut as it happed vid of the 2nd "Official Flight" the first "Official Flight" took place this morning, the first "Not Official, Can't believe that I did that, flight was very short and occurred the other day when it was colder and windier and I was stupider.

SD version is up now, HD version is still processing

Hope you enjoy...

Mark R.

old_coastie

3D Delta NG Second Flight (6 min 31 sec)
Mar 04, 2021, 06:32 PM
"Some do, some don't"

Back to the Original

If you mod the OG to take advantage of lessons learned in the NG version, and then discover the Tractor/Delta world from a whole new perspective when you unleash the power of a big prop and 4S...

This is the better of two vids of Tractor/Delta's... This is one of Jim's the other one is one of Greg's gonna put myself in a very uncomfortable position, even worse than yoga, gonna contrast and compare two great planes offered by two of my dearest RC mentors.

Not going to do it on either thread will do it as part of a blog... The Battle of the Tractor/Delta's... Let the games mayhem begin...

Mark R.

old_coastie

3D Delta Windsurfing with a EPP Surfboard (7 min 5 sec)
Mar 19, 2021, 04:57 PM
"Some do, some don't"

Tail touches

And this is the old and tired one...

Enjoy

o_c

RA Cores Leadfeather 3D Delta Plane ol Fun (8 min 2 sec)
Apr 25, 2021, 10:16 PM
"Some do, some don't"

West Texas Style

My 3D Delta NG...

Latest changes:

SunnySky 2207 2100 kv motor
DAL 6040 3 blade prop
Pulse 4S 1350 mah batt

Not as light as the first setup but much more power on tap now...

5:30 min flights and batts came down at 30% and motor/esc/batt were all warm... so setup is just about right

3D Delta NG West Texas Dry Lake 1 (6 min 8 sec)

3D Delta NG West Texas Dry Lake 2 (6 min 48 sec)

o_c
Apr 26, 2021, 08:36 AM
Out Standing In The Field
Looks & flies nice!

The high kv / small prop system seems to have good pull out power.

Was that a hawk you were flying with in the first video?

Do you have a pic of the underside so I could see how you mounted the 'tronics?
It'd be a help to see the layout how you did it - thanx!

Quick Reply