Mar 26, 2017, 03:00 AM
Kit Manufacturer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Dunsel
The wire came in yesterday, and it doesn't seem to have any coating.

I won't start building the foam cutting tools until I finish the plane now on my workbench. Then, I plan to do some test cuts before I start on a small (~ 288 sq. inch) model (which I haven't even begun to draw, yet).

Regarding the little delta, it's still unflown due to weather (mainly wind).

CD
BTW, the wire cuts just as well with AC as DC power. I use a router speed control for my big (6') bow and generally place a piece of foam on the wire and let it cut with it's own weight. I find that 1/4" per second works well for most cutting
to remove ads between posts
Mar 27, 2017, 05:30 PM
Closed Account
We had a short break in the wind and wet weather, so Micki and I scooted out to the field and snuck in a test flight of the little delta. I balanced it ahead of Leadfeather's design CG, to make it a bit less responsive, then I set the elevons at about 20 degrees.

Turned out the 20 degrees wasn't needed! Even with the CG well forward, I had to crank in all the available down trim AND throttle back to avoid climbing. Rolls were pretty quick (as you'd expect). Of course, the wind picked up after launch, but the good side was when I throttled back at about 2' altitude, held back stick, and the plane gently settled, level, to the grass.

It was too windy after that first flight, so I decided not to fly it again. Since I had another charged battery with me, Micki flew one of Jim's little EPP 22" Yaks (which did much better in the wind!).

CD
Mar 28, 2017, 08:24 AM
Kit Manufacturer
Quote:
It was too windy after that first flight, so I decided not to fly it again. Since I had another charged battery with me, Micki flew one of Jim's little EPP 22" Yaks (which did much better in the wind!).

CD
people look at the Mini Yak55 and think indoors only but I've flown it very successfully outdoors even in 10mph wind. It really is a nice in your yard flyer during the outdoor months
Mar 28, 2017, 06:32 PM
Closed Account
Honestly, the 22" Yak flies better in the wind that the bigger one.

CD
Mar 29, 2017, 06:06 AM
Kit Manufacturer
Quote:
Honestly, the 22" Yak flies better in the wind that the bigger one.

CD
Interesting. I had always felt they were pretty similar
Dec 06, 2017, 11:25 AM
Could this plane be successfully made using DTF?
Dec 10, 2017, 09:25 AM
Winging it Ò>
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCH2016
Could this plane be successfully made using DTF?
Sure, a DTF build would work fine and in fact a few options:

1) Super light build, DTF foam with paper stripped off, tape leading edge only, lighter motor/esc/servos/etc. would be a great indoor model.

2) Regular build, DTF foam paper off, packaging tape covering over all foam, follow the plans for all else.

3) Quick build, DTF foam with paper, follow the plans, tape the leading edges a bit heavier but very quick to build. The 3D Delta handles weight exceptionally well, you'll just go through the battery faster.

Best of luck with your build!
Jan 13, 2018, 03:04 PM
I meant to do that. Honest!
I just finished building one using 6mm Model Plane Foam. I modified the wing for KFm4 airfoil (I hope I did the math right). I really like the looks of this airplane but I couldn't get it to balance with a 1300 MAH battery so I used a 2200 MAH mounted just behind the CF spar. Don't know what the AUW is, I haven't weighed it yet but the TGY Park 450 motor with 12X6 prop has plenty of thrust for vertical take off. I hope to maiden it tomorrow morning, wind conditions permitting.

I came across the plans for this and printed the tiled letter version just a few days ago and it's already done. It's a quick and easy build, I hope it flies as good as it looks.
Jan 13, 2018, 06:22 PM
Here's a couple of pics.
Jan 13, 2018, 06:52 PM
Looks pretty good! Should fly well!
Jan 14, 2018, 05:20 PM
After a minor mishap before I got it trimmed out and added exponential it flew fantastically. It was too responsive on high rates until I cranked the exponential up to +70%. The 13" CG point is spot on and the KFm4 airfoil performed perfectly. Roll rate is phenomenal and loops are more like back flips. I was able to do flat spins, both upright and inverted, and wing tip pirouettes and a number of other things I didn't expect it to do. I had an absolute blast with it but I need to make a small repair before it flies again. I will be flying this plane frequently I think. My thanks to Leadfeather for sharing the design.
Last edited by JamesPotts; Jan 14, 2018 at 05:25 PM.
Jan 15, 2018, 08:15 AM
Yep, the plane is a blast! I think I have about 7 of them. Different sizes and some with lights. About the only thing I haven't been able to get it to do is knife edges.

Thanks again Leadfeather
Jan 15, 2018, 10:20 AM
I didn't try knife edges. Perhaps adding some side force generators (SFGs) to the wing tips would make that possible.

If (when) I build another one I think I will double the top and bottom fuselage profiles and the rudder to beef them up a bit and glue some sort of hard material along the bottom (long zip ties work well for that). Our flying site here is dirt, gravel, and occasional pebbles so the keel aft of the nose doublers got a bit banged up on landings. Especially at the battery location. It probably wouldn't be necessary with 9mm EPP but I used 6mm MPF which tears more easily.
Jan 16, 2018, 08:00 AM
Try one of these too..........

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...r-EPP-3D-Delta
Jan 16, 2018, 10:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squall
Got it downloaded, thanks. The SFGs on that one should make knife edge possible. I'll probably build one after I finish the new design I started yesterday which will be a full symmetrical airfoil 3D midwing made from Dow PB3. Span will be at least 48" with 10 3/4" chord. This is going to take a while though.

Quick Reply