Jul 01, 2010, 02:42 PM
Did you get to try any KE? I think that would be pretty darn cool for a delta.

- Jeff
to remove ads between posts
Jul 01, 2010, 03:34 PM
Winging it Ò>
Thread OP
I'll get video soon.

I tired to knife edge a little, it wasn't easy and the jet really wanted to roll out. Maybe in better flying conditions and with more practice???
Jul 01, 2010, 03:36 PM
When pigs fly rc
any plans
Jul 01, 2010, 09:39 PM
Winging it Ò>
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrich
any plans
I'm sure we can do plans before too long. I just want to get it all tweaked out first.
Jul 01, 2010, 10:46 PM
Nice and official looking... Good colors for the season too. Looks like a good plane for tallflyers contest.
Jul 02, 2010, 05:40 PM
Winging it Ò>
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by tymbrewolf
Nice and official looking... Good colors for the season too. Looks like a good plane for tallflyers contest.
Yeah, I figured it was a good color choice for the 4th of July.

I did some testing and tweaking during lunch today. The fuse had way too much area ahead of the cg. That's taken care of now and I think it is pretty close to being finalized.

I flew a range of batteries from 2s 360 to 3s 2100. Flew great. For indoors, I like the 3s 360 the best. It still could slow to a crawl with the 3s 2100...amazing!

I hope to get some video this weekend.
Jul 03, 2010, 10:28 AM
Winging it Ò>
Thread OP

Video

Here some video of the test flying this morning. As you can see it's flying very well; very agile and yet very easy to fly. The amazing thing is how well it can handle a really big (3s 2100) battery and still harrier very slowly. It also flew well and could hover on a 2s 240 battery.

3D Delta, test flying (3 min 50 sec)
Jul 03, 2010, 04:22 PM
Nice. I guess I didn't realize how long or how big it was...
Jul 03, 2010, 09:48 PM
7up
7up
,ɯǝ ʇoƃ ɐʎ ɟı ,ɯǝ ǝʞoɯs
Looks like a really nice flyer.
Jul 04, 2010, 10:40 AM
Winging it Ò>
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkarnacki
Did you get to try any KE? I think that would be pretty darn cool for a delta.

- Jeff
I've been thinking about the knife edge thing. It might be possible with a larger tail fin; especially in this case if I extend it down further. Kind of like the VFO... as the fin span approaches the wing span there is less roll stability and the plane should hold any desired roll position more easily. I want to have some roll stability to keep it easy to fly but it would be cool if knife edges were not too hard to do.

I was going to extend the tail fin downward a bit more anyway. I want the nose to drop through a little more when it is banked. I think the added lower tail area will also further stabilize hover.
Jul 05, 2010, 11:11 AM
When pigs fly rc
Thanks for the video. Looks like another great plane from you.
Jul 05, 2010, 01:36 PM
Winging it Ò>
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrich
Thanks for the video. Looks like another great plane from you.
Thanks rcrich!

I added some are to the lower vertical fin. It made a small improvement in handling as expected.

Next I want to fly outdoors at speed as the final check before staring on plans. Just waiting on better weather to finish the testing.
Jul 05, 2010, 02:57 PM
You may find it unnecessary, and of course its not like I know anything you don't already. Anyway, I have also found that a triple thick fuse right before the rudder adds a lot of strength and support to both the rudder and the fuse. The doubler does not have to be very wide, nor very long. Here is an example of what I mean.
Jul 05, 2010, 08:22 PM
Winging it Ò>
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by tymbrewolf
You may find it unnecessary, and of course its not like I know anything you don't already. Anyway, I have also found that a triple thick fuse right before the rudder adds a lot of strength and support to both the rudder and the fuse. The doubler does not have to be very wide, nor very long. Here is an example of what I mean.
Thanks for the tip. I think for now I'm just going to put some fiber tape on the bottom of the fin for landing toughness.

I flew outside earlier today in pretty windy conditions. No bad habits at speed at all. It handles the wind fine and; I thnk due to being a longer delta; is not pitch sensitive at speed; very smooth. It flies a little slower than a FireFly and a little faster than an EPPYak55 for the same power. This airframe will easily take more power for more speed outdoors. Hmmm, I had started plying with rewinding a 2730 for more speed/power...looks like I might get back to that motor for this build.

The forecast for tomorrow looks good. I'm going to try to get some outdoor video.
Jul 06, 2010, 07:27 AM
When pigs fly rc
Did the extra foam help with the knife edge?

Quick Reply