Jun 21, 2010, 05:32 PM
Thread OP
Question

Moving from Lama V4 to Belt-CP 450 V2?

Greetings

I fly a Blade MCX and Lama V4 indoors, and have been reading here about the Belt-CP 450 V2, and wonder whether it would be suitable as my first outdoor helo?

If so, what spares do folks recommend - especially blades, skids and batteries?

I have Xtreme skids, blades and tail boom on my Lama, and assume that their blades would be a no-brainer for a Belt, but wonder about the skids.

The best place to buy (I am in South Australia) would be appreciated, as well.

If not the Blade, what else would you folks suggest?

TIA - Chris
to remove ads between posts
Jun 21, 2010, 06:27 PM
Looptastic!
A 450 size heli is a sweet machine, wichever you decide to get.
I briefly flew a lamaV4 before going a clone trex 450 myself. Its just no comparison.
Its a switching motion between amazing fun and frustration. Great rush when you get to your first hovers / first loop, etc, and frustration when heli wont work like you want, or you start crashing.
I think the choice of heli depends much on your budget and what you want with it.
About spare parts. My most "used" parts are mainblades, feathering shafts, and main gears... Breaking the landing skid got tiresome so i bended a coat hanger into shape and it still works after many happy "mishaps"
Jun 21, 2010, 07:27 PM
Thread OP
Thanks for the info - all good

Should I maybe be looking for something smaller in size (and budget), or go straight to 450?

Chris
Jun 22, 2010, 04:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisLevo
Thanks for the info - all good

Should I maybe be looking for something smaller in size (and budget), or go straight to 450?

Chris
Hi Chris
A Honey Bee V2 is well worth considering,its a fixed pitch Heli with much lower head speed than a 450 size. 3 out of 5 crashes it can be back in the air without any damage,parts are cheap and the Heli doesn't have to be set up after repairs.A good next step after what your'e already used to,I haven't seen any Aus venders selling them try overseas miracle-mart.com for example!!
I found after learning on a HBFP I had no trouble flying a TREX 450!!!,there available in 2.4 Ghz which is legal in Aus.
Jun 22, 2010, 05:00 AM
Looptastic!
But if you want to fly loops and hover upside down and all you need a collective pitch one. Whats your poison?
Jun 22, 2010, 04:31 PM
Be very careful, Chris. You are about to take a next step in this hobby that causes more than half to quit and give up forever.

Moving from Co-Ax to Single Rotor is definately the next step, but whether it is FP (fixed pitch) or CP (collective pitch) should depend more on whether you have someone to help you set it up, than the thrill of flying upside down.

FP is less likely to be damaged in a minor tip-over, than a CP, and easier to rebuild in case of a crash. FP heli does not hover or fly better than CP, but is much less frustrating for a beginner during the occational bad landings.

IMO, your chances of success will be higher if you start with a FP. Then when you can hover that sucker tail-in for a whole battery, you're ready for CP. The main disadvantage of a FP as a trainer, is most of them come with a tail motor that functions poorly and dies after too few flights.
Jun 22, 2010, 06:04 PM
Thread OP
Thanks, all.

It looks very much like FP is the go, but can I get one around Honey Bee V2 price (US$160 delivered to Australia) that will be OK for low wind days outdoors?

Thanks again - Chris
Jun 22, 2010, 09:07 PM
Quote:
Thanks, all.

It looks very much like FP is the go, but can I get one around Honey Bee V2 price (US$160 delivered to Australia) that will be OK for low wind days outdoors?

Thanks again - Chris
For that size and suitable for your next step I'd suggest a UFlyS
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...dProduct=11978

Or for a simpler but not as well performing tail the #4 2.4g (Note: Not the 4g1b it's 3.7V)
http://www.walkera.com/en1/particular.jsp?pn=Z24%232401 Very similar to a HBFP with better parts availability here.

Around here try rchobby, airbornerc

Amp
Jun 22, 2010, 10:08 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ampdraw
For that size and suitable for your next step I'd suggest a UFlyS
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...dProduct=11978

Amp
Thanks - UFLYS ordered
Jun 22, 2010, 10:50 PM
Quote:
Thanks - UFLYS ordered
Did you order the version with the Tx? http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...er_Plug-n-Play (my apologies if you ordered from my link)
That is if you don't already have a Walkera Tx suitable.

If you didn't best contact them by phone (they have an Aus number listed in contact us) and get the tx version.

Here is the Ufly thread with heaps of info
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1150908

Amp
Jun 22, 2010, 11:15 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ampdraw
Did you order the version with the Tx?
My 4#1 transmitter is 36.120MHz, so I bought the 2.4GHz version.

A$188.76 delivered, after US$5.00 credit for my first order.

Jun 23, 2010, 12:16 AM

You may want to read the Ufly thread and jump the gun on a parts order.
A few sets of gears, a maingear, maybe a tail driven shaft (the cf torque rod) etc.

Here's a good place where I have ordered from with cheap pricing and shipping to Aus: (usually about 10 days)
http://www.miracle-mart.com/store/in...ort=20a&page=1

Amp
Jun 23, 2010, 12:28 AM
Thread OP
That's where I bought the helo

How fragile are the canopies?

Chris
Jun 23, 2010, 12:46 AM
Quote:
That's where I bought the helo

How fragile are the canopies?

Chris
Reasonably. Almost identical to your 4#1. If you can grab some nice clear tape (I use ding tape available from surf shops http://dingtape.com.au/) applied to most of my canopies including my nicer Gaui FG canopy. Usually run from actually on the "window" all the way to the rear with the grommets removed. Use an "exacto" kife to cut the hole and trim and refit the grommets.
Keeps them looking good and surviving for alot longer.

Heaps of canopies will fit that though with a little trim work, 1A, #4 varients, CB180, alot of the hobbyking "for 250 rex" etc.

Amp
Jun 23, 2010, 06:39 AM
Quote:
Thanks - UFLYS ordered
Excellant choice. The only mod you might want to consider in the beginning is a little better protection of the tail rotor against hitting the ground. Otherwise stock should be fine.

Good luck, and have fun.

Quick Reply