TOP FLITE P-51D Mustang .60 Retracts help - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jun 18, 2010, 06:21 PM
Discussion

TOP FLITE P-51D Mustang .60 Retracts help

I built my TF mustang and took it up for the first time yesterday for a trim flight. She was flying well, there were some adjustments needed. I decided to do some loops before bringing it down when suddenly the Saito 125 gave up (Possible receiver issue) and I had to land the heavy bird. I managed to get her down but because she was not trimmed, I had a rough landing. The stock retracts bemt and destroyed the wings. I decided to get new wings and a good retract system , so I ordered CJM kit for this plane , only to realize that they are not as good as Robarts? Can someone advise? Should I return my CJ retracts and go for the Robarts instead?
to remove ads between posts
Jun 19, 2010, 08:51 PM
Ldm
Ldm
Retracts are all in the what you do with them .
I have used CJ , Robart and sierra , I like CJ and sierra the best .
Lets start with --what is it that you dont like about the CJs .
If its not major perhaps we can fix it
Jun 20, 2010, 12:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldm
Retracts are all in the what you do with them .
I have used CJ , Robart and sierra , I like CJ and sierra the best .
Lets start with --what is it that you dont like about the CJs .
If its not major perhaps we can fix it
Nothing that I don't like with them-But was a bit apprehensive after reading the reviews online. I would give them a try if I get get some good feedback about them. It's just that there's hardly a thread/forum which talks in detail about their installation or how good they are.
Jun 20, 2010, 02:15 PM
WarClouds Online Dogfights
I like my CJ retracts. I have their top flite P51 set in my 65" mustang. It weighs 12 lbs and I fly off grass without problems at all. I did have a hard impact once after a botched take-off and the steel pins bent... but this was a very good thing. They absorbed all of the energy that should have broken the retract mounts out of the wing. I hammered them straight at home and the problem was fixed in 15 minutes.

If you have the TF P51 ARF, I'm guessing that they will work even better for you, because it should be alot lighter.
Jun 20, 2010, 04:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IL2windhawk
I like my CJ retracts. I have their top flite P51 set in my 65" mustang. It weighs 12 lbs and I fly off grass without problems at all. I did have a hard impact once after a botched take-off and the steel pins bent... but this was a very good thing. They absorbed all of the energy that should have broken the retract mounts out of the wing. I hammered them straight at home and the problem was fixed in 15 minutes.

If you have the TF P51 ARF, I'm guessing that they will work even better for you, because it should be alot lighter.
Thanks Windhawk!
Your reply makes me feel confident about the purchase. My Mustang weighs in around 10 lbs with a Saito 125. Also, did you reinforce the retract bays in the wings?Do you have any pictures of your setup?
Jun 20, 2010, 11:17 PM
WarClouds Online Dogfights
I did reinforce the retract bays... however, I don't have a TF kit. Just a P-51 of the same size
Jun 28, 2010, 05:27 AM
Ldm
Ldm
Do yuo want some tips on a good practices for installing retracts ? I was assuming you just wanted an opinion on the retract brands ect
Jun 28, 2010, 08:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldm
Do yuo want some tips on a good practices for installing retracts ? I was assuming you just wanted an opinion on the retract brands ect
I was looking for both, opinions and tips. It would be great if you can share some tips here. Thanks!
Apr 05, 2017, 03:18 PM
Bobby of Maui
Aloha,
The retracts that come with the Top Flight P-51D are really not up to the job. They seem not to handle the side loads or less then perfect landings. I went with "Lado" retracts and before I installed them, did some serious rework in the wheel wells. I beefed everything up, installed hard wood under the rails and used 6oz. fiberglass and every where I could put in the glass inside the wheel wells, I did. You need it and most all ARF retract models need to be beefed up in my opinion. I'm very hard on my landing gear and this set up has been a savior...for it has held up for six years so far.
Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
Apr 05, 2017, 06:03 PM
team sleprock
I too have a (not TF) P-51 (Modeltech)

with CJ P-51 retracts made for the TF P-51, and like windhawk, had a flame out right after take-off, and had ta ditch in the weeds, bent one of the strut pins, with a call ta CJ and 8 bucks, had a new set in a couple days! no damage ta wings or the retracts themselves, took a few mins ta replace, and walla, good ta go!

other then that, just make sure you install them, with no binding. I.E. make sure your rails are strait and true!

oh and yes I fly off of grass!

good luck!