Dec 12, 2010, 10:33 PM
Thread OP
Looking good.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 21, 2010, 07:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Kloft
OK. On Kevin's urging I am posting some of my build... Posted to another thread (see Below), but I will continue here. Currently I am at 1.12 in the fuse build. Pictures are below.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...=zip33&page=15

This will not be a blow by blow build thread, just my progress and any issues encountered. So here we go!!! All has been good up to this point! :-)

Brian
Brian is that a spektrum 6110e Rx?

Kevin,
I have a DX5e from a park flyer that I was planning to use but am concerned about the amount of throw/travel issue mentioned very early in the thread. Later on it was mentioned that mods were made to address this. Can I use my DX5e?

Wayne
Dec 21, 2010, 11:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by A6INTRUDER
I recently finished my zip33.
It was a fun build. Everything fits together so well, it was a joy to build. I had forgotten how much fun it was to build with wood instead of glass and epoxy.
I also forgot how frustrating it is to cover with light weight covering, of course most of that is due to my lack of patients.

My plane came out just slightly overweight (like all my builds do).
Mine came in at 6.7 oz while the specs show it at 6.4.

I used the magnet method of holding the wings on. It is great to just slip in the wing rod, slide the wings on, pull the plug and its ready to fly.

Here are a few pics of the plane and the triangular box i made that fits it very well.

Tim
That's pretty sweet, would make motorcycle transport a breeze (pun intended).
Dec 22, 2010, 02:55 PM
Thread OP
Hi Wayne,
The DX5i works fine. The travel is slightly limited, but still snappy enough to keep you on your toes. The 6110e is the best fit for 2.4ghz

As I've mentioned before, the Z33 was designed for light to moderate air, and the compromise in section design and basic configuration limits some aerobatic capability. Specifically roll rate, and axial precision.

The Z1, on the other hand, is designed for light to moderate air aerobatics. Its limitations will be on the light-air side compared to the Z33, but it should satisfy the general feeling that twisty's should roll like crazy. But then again, a 7-8oz/sqft loading only carries so much energy, so although it may have a fast roll-rate, it won't carry that through to multiple rolls.

My focus is on ships that will fly when the sleds are grounded. And of course, that comes at a cost. The upgrade path, in terms of performance, is centered on the Z55. Its been designed as a generic platform. The pod is the common element, hence the four servo arrangement. The wings range from 50-60 inches (60 available early next year), and the tail is interchangable. The boom can grow or shrink in length, and the loading can range from 7.5-12oz/sqft.

The Z33, on the other hand, is designed as a dedicated compact ship for packing in. About mid next year, it will get a major revision to a removable tail, and expanded electronics options. Roll-rate and wing pivot location will be addressed, along with some other points.

I still have a blast with the Z33, and I think generally, it satisfies most pilots. I'll keep improving based on feedback, and the fantastic input from the threads, so stay tuned.

Cheers,
Kevin
Dec 22, 2010, 07:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJMDES
Hi Wayne,
The DX5i works fine. The travel is slightly limited, but still snappy enough to keep you on your toes. The 6110e is the best fit for 2.4ghz

As I've mentioned before, the Z33 was designed for light to moderate air, and the compromise in section design and basic configuration limits some aerobatic capability. Specifically roll rate, and axial precision.

The Z1, on the other hand, is designed for light to moderate air aerobatics. Its limitations will be on the light-air side compared to the Z33, but it should satisfy the general feeling that twisty's should roll like crazy. But then again, a 7-8oz/sqft loading only carries so much energy, so although it may have a fast roll-rate, it won't carry that through to multiple rolls.

My focus is on ships that will fly when the sleds are grounded. And of course, that comes at a cost. The upgrade path, in terms of performance, is centered on the Z55. Its been designed as a generic platform. The pod is the common element, hence the four servo arrangement. The wings range from 50-60 inches (60 available early next year), and the tail is interchangable. The boom can grow or shrink in length, and the loading can range from 7.5-12oz/sqft.

The Z33, on the other hand, is designed as a dedicated compact ship for packing in. About mid next year, it will get a major revision to a removable tail, and expanded electronics options. Roll-rate and wing pivot location will be addressed, along with some other points.

I still have a blast with the Z33, and I think generally, it satisfies most pilots. I'll keep improving based on feedback, and the fantastic input from the threads, so stay tuned.

Cheers,
Kevin
Kevin,
Thanks for the detailed reply which answered all my questions. I wasn't as much interested in aerobatics as overall performance for a starter over the basic RES. I'm looking at building two ships, the Marauder for advanced RES performance and a fun sloper to learn on ( a stepping stone to the Zip 55).
Wayne
Dec 22, 2010, 07:42 PM
Thread OP
Sounds good, although the Z33 is not the ship to learn slope with. It is a bit more of a hand-full than say the Z55. Generally speaking, the Z33 is best for intermediate to advanced pilots, the Z55 can be flown by novice pilots with some aileron experience.

Wouldn't want to talk you out of the Z33, but it does require some quick reaction, and it sounds like you might want a bit more stick-time on the slope before it will be fun for you.

Cheers,
Kevin
Dec 23, 2010, 04:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJMDES
Sounds good, although the Z33 is not the ship to learn slope with. It is a bit more of a hand-full than say the Z55. Generally speaking, the Z33 is best for intermediate to advanced pilots, the Z55 can be flown by novice pilots with some aileron experience.

Wouldn't want to talk you out of the Z33, but it does require some quick reaction, and it sounds like you might want a bit more stick-time on the slope before it will be fun for you.

Cheers,
Kevin
No your advice is much appreciated. Sounds like I'd be better off starting with the Zip55. No problems there...
Dec 23, 2010, 05:11 PM
Thread OP
Good enough. I do think the Z55 will give you a nice upgrade path as you go. If you like it, you'll likely find the Z33 a fun next compact ship.

If you do decide on a Z55, you can order anytime, but I would advise you opt for the revised kit that will be shipping the first week of Jan. Just drop me a line to request the hold. No worries.

Cheers,
Kevin
Jan 05, 2011, 01:36 AM
A couple more shots for my Zip33 build. I loved the pre-drilled hole for the mouser switchjack install...
Jan 05, 2011, 03:26 AM
Thread OP
Looking good.
Glad to see your getting some time to play.
Happy new year
Kevin
Jan 10, 2011, 06:39 PM
what wood are zip33 builders using for the 1/16th and 3/32nd needed to cover the fuse top & bottom with?

i had a hard time scrounging enough 1/16th scrap so opted to use the 3/32nd for most everything and am having to sand it down a lot to make the edges line up.
Jan 10, 2011, 08:56 PM
Thread OP
There should be two 16th strips in the large bag. If you didn't get them in the kit, I appologize.

The 3/32nd is from the tail sheet. The scrap.

Sanding is good for the soul.............

Cheers,
Kevin
Last edited by KJMDES; Jan 12, 2011 at 08:55 PM.
Jan 11, 2011, 05:18 AM
Windy City Flyer
Made a little progress today... Finished up 1.16 for the fuse build. All went together perfectly with very minor tweaks. The ODP plates fit like a glove!

nkcook - yes that is a 6110e receiver. Fits perfectly in there.
Jan 11, 2011, 01:02 PM
My new motto is "Think before you glue". It's not like with tape-on-foam which can easily be peeled off to undo. Attached is the result of *not* thinking before glueing.

The fuse cover slides right off, a little candle wax really does make a difference.
Aug 28, 2011, 01:29 AM
PWP!
I got a sneak peek at Z33v2 on Thursday....

Sexy.

Quick Reply