Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Thread Tools
Old Dec 29, 2011, 08:43 AM
jw357_23043 is offline
Find More Posts by jw357_23043
Shut up and Fly!!!
jw357_23043's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by hercdriver7777 View Post
20c would work. The other part of the equation is that the higher the C rating the better the battery will hold voltage under load giving you more power. And again different mfgs under or overrate their packs. In this case I would look for something in the 25-40c range.
Thanks Herc,
I'm going with the 30 to 40 range. More power is better.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 09, 2012, 07:19 PM
fjaust is offline
Find More Posts by fjaust
Registered User
hi everyone,

i'm after some advice on motor/prop/battery setup.

i prefer to use Scorpion motors and in other replies I've read that the 4035-330 and 4035-250 are good choices.

some suggestions on a setup to be used 75% precision flying and 25% 3D would be great. i already have a few other models for 3D only (PA Addiction X, Ultimate AMR) but I'm after something larger for competitions and handling the wind a bit better, that's why i'm looking at the EF Extra.

thanks, fj
Old Jan 09, 2012, 10:57 PM
Manta1 is offline
Find More Posts by Manta1
OOPS
Manta1's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjaust View Post
hi everyone,

i'm after some advice on motor/prop/battery setup.

i prefer to use Scorpion motors and in other replies I've read that the 4035-330 and 4035-250 are good choices.

some suggestions on a setup to be used 75% precision flying and 25% 3D would be great. i already have a few other models for 3D only (PA Addiction X, Ultimate AMR) but I'm after something larger for competitions and handling the wind a bit better, that's why i'm looking at the EF Extra.

thanks, fj
if you are going after handling wind better,and I'm guessing some iMac stuff,and you are decided on the scorpions,Id suggest going 8s like around 4000 mah,and the lower kv 4035.you will probably be in the 20x8 or 20x10 area for a prop depending on the watts and amps you are looking for.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 04:41 AM
fjaust is offline
Find More Posts by fjaust
Registered User
thanks for the response manta.

i've calculated some different combinations and the Scorpion 4035-230 on 8S and either a 20x10E or 19x12E will give around about the same peformance - the 19x12 will actually give slightly more static thrust (around 3% more) but amps/watts stay around the same mark (70 amps, 2050 watts approx.).

now i just need to decide on battery size - 4000 or 5000 mAh. i might wait until most of the plane is together and weigh it before deciding on battery size.

thanks again for the help.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 06:07 AM
danamania is offline
Find More Posts by danamania
Advocating for RC Aviation
With the recommended Axi at the top of this thread, mine is equally capable in 3D and IMAC (flew some basic last season) on 8S 5000's (18x8 Xoar). If one wants to fly the sequence twice, I would not recommend less than 5000 x2. If one is more into hucking, perhaps 4000's would be enough? And lots of 3D oriented folks have gone 6S on this thread, as I recall. 230 is a very low KV and more of a 9-10S KV by my experience, FWIW. Cheers! Dana
Old Jan 10, 2012, 06:00 PM
jw357_23043 is offline
Find More Posts by jw357_23043
Shut up and Fly!!!
jw357_23043's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manta1 View Post
if you are going after handling wind better,and I'm guessing some iMac stuff,and you are decided on the scorpions,Id suggest going 8s like around 4000 mah,and the lower kv 4035.you will probably be in the 20x8 or 20x10 area for a prop depending on the watts and amps you are looking for.
Wow!! All I can say is that the 230kv must be a monster!! I'm running 320kv and it pulls with massive amounts of power on 8s 5000.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 11:43 AM
Manta1 is offline
Find More Posts by Manta1
OOPS
Manta1's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjaust View Post
thanks for the response manta.

i've calculated some different combinations and the Scorpion 4035-230 on 8S and either a 20x10E or 19x12E will give around about the same peformance - the 19x12 will actually give slightly more static thrust (around 3% more) but amps/watts stay around the same mark (70 amps, 2050 watts approx.).

now i just need to decide on battery size - 4000 or 5000 mAh. i might wait until most of the plane is together and weigh it before deciding on battery size.

thanks again for the help.
You are welcome.I m trying to power my planes with less amps/more efficiently.So I like a little more voltage (8s) I run a 4325-280 motrolfly and get around 2200 watts with a 20x8 carbon fiber prop and only pull around 69 amps..Temps stay happy.pull out is very generous. So i figured with the scorpion the kv closer to the one i run should be similar..cant wait to see you huck it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by jw357_23043 View Post
Wow!! All I can say is that the 230kv must be a monster!! I'm running 320kv and it pulls with massive amounts of power on 8s 5000.
yea 230kv may need a good bit bigger prop for 8s.320kv with a lil smaller prop around 19 inches may be better.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 08:43 AM
jw357_23043 is offline
Find More Posts by jw357_23043
Shut up and Fly!!!
jw357_23043's Avatar
yea 230kv may need a good bit bigger prop for 8s.320kv with a lil smaller prop around 19 inches may be better.[/QUOTE]

I was thinking of going with a 19x10 and see how efficient it works. Any recommendations? I have a Xoar 18x8 now and it runs at 50 amps on 8s 5000.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 07:43 PM
fjaust is offline
Find More Posts by fjaust
Registered User
i'm undecided about using Savox 1251MG's or 1258TG's for ailerons and elevators. if i'm going to run 8S batteries do you think i'll need the extra weight of the 1258TG's in the tail?

thanks, fj
Old Jan 13, 2012, 08:26 PM
hercdriver7777 is offline
Find More Posts by hercdriver7777
Team Extreme! Team Twisted!
hercdriver7777's Avatar
The battery tray has more room to grow towards the nose. So, heavier servos in back would not be an issue.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 09:07 PM
fjaust is offline
Find More Posts by fjaust
Registered User
thanks herc.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 11:45 AM
Vapor Trails is online now
Find More Posts by Vapor Trails
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
Vapor Trails's Avatar
Just found this thread... I got lots of reading to do.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Please kill isis
Old Jan 15, 2012, 03:14 PM
powerlines is offline
Find More Posts by powerlines
I am ready for HHAEFI!!
powerlines's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by hercdriver7777 View Post
The battery tray has more room to grow towards the nose. So, heavier servos in back would not be an issue.
This is True.. I am running the recomended in the back.. I have my 6S batt on the wing tube.. I may have to put some stronger servos in the tail before SEFF!!
Old Jan 16, 2012, 01:19 AM
jw357_23043 is offline
Find More Posts by jw357_23043
Shut up and Fly!!!
jw357_23043's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerlines View Post
This is True.. I am running the recomended in the back.. I have my 6S batt on the wing tube.. I may have to put some stronger servos in the tail before SEFF!!
What kv motor are you running again? Also, what is the empty weight of your EF Extra300?
Old Jan 16, 2012, 04:28 AM
fjaust is offline
Find More Posts by fjaust
Registered User
I ordered my Extra today, the orange/blue one. Can't wait for it to get here !!! Hopefully it will be here around Wednesday or Thursday.

The wind around here has been terrible for a long time, always too windy for my current fleet of planes (mostly smaller sizes like the PA Ultimate AMR). Getting something this size will hopefully allow me to fly more !!


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion EXTREME FLIGHT 48" Extra 300 EXP. VIDEO ADDED! hemituda 3D Flying 9936 Today 08:52 AM
Discussion Extreme Flight RC 48" Extra 300 EXP Build mxcop 3D Flying 404 Apr 14, 2015 09:07 PM
Discussion Extreme Flight 70" Extra 300 EXP!?!?!? Safety Hawk 3D Flying 104 Sep 10, 2012 12:33 PM
Sold NEW IN BOX Extreme Flight Extra 300 EXP ARF 48" red - will ship xraydoc Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 6 Jan 16, 2010 09:55 PM
Video Extreme Flight RC Extra 300 EXP 48" Teaser video! Jvdo Electric Plane Talk 6 Oct 21, 2009 03:48 PM