Nov 13, 2010, 04:57 PM
Fly Extreme!!
My local hobby shop has started stocking LiFe Source batteries. I normally build my own A123s, but I decided to try out one the LiFe Source packs in this plane. It seems to be well constructed and the 2100 is about 1.5 oz lighter than a 2300 A123. I made a little super light carbon fiber mount for it and it got the pack down out of the way in the fuse.
Last edited by cjcyclesrc; Nov 13, 2010 at 05:03 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 13, 2010, 06:14 PM
Advocating for RC Aviation
Thanks for the comments on SFGs. Left them off for the maiden today.

Awesome airframe! Smooth as butter and spot-on precise. The Axi is amazing too!

Rod at the LVRCC sends his regards to Chris et al at EF. Thanks for the great ride!
Nov 14, 2010, 05:51 PM
Advocating for RC Aviation
Downloaded data from the ICE 100 and see that there are a couple of >100 amp current spikes that correspond to full throttle to the Axi 5320/18 and APC 18x8E on the 8S setup.

Peak currents otherwise are topping out in the 90s. Are others seeing these kind of numbers during light 3D and aggressive precision flying? Am I overcautious to consider a larger ESC for this set-up?
Nov 15, 2010, 07:54 AM
Carboweave, Ask For It By Name
FYI, changed the bearings on the Turnigy SK 50-65 380 I have been running on 6S and with the same prop am now 8+ A less and getting the same thrust.
Obviously it was taking that additional current just to turn over those bearings and with this change the motor has improved in effeciency.
I'm pretty hard on this motor constantly doing knife edge spins to see if I can break it or rather how well it will hold up and so far so good.
I wonder what the effect will be if I rewind with better wire?

Terry
Nov 15, 2010, 07:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by danamania
Downloaded data from the ICE 100 and see that there are a couple of >100 amp current spikes that correspond to full throttle to the Axi 5320/18 and APC 18x8E on the 8S setup.

Peak currents otherwise are topping out in the 90s. Are others seeing these kind of numbers during light 3D and aggressive precision flying? Am I overcautious to consider a larger ESC for this set-up?
I download the data from my Castle 100 all the time and found that it reads considerably higher than power meters I have put in the setup which read the same so I know they are right. So I don't believe the castle data as absolute and use it in relative terms.
You shouldn't need a bigger esc IMO. And on an 18x8e you shouldn't be pulling very much current. You should check it with a power meter.

Terry
Nov 15, 2010, 09:19 AM
click here
8 Amps less?! Over 7 minutes that's 1000 mAh wasted. Good find, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuchuf
FYI, changed the bearings on the Turnigy SK 50-65 380 I have been running on 6S and with the same prop am now 8+ A less and getting the same thrust.
Obviously it was taking that additional current just to turn over those bearings and with this change the motor has improved in effeciency.
I'm pretty hard on this motor constantly doing knife edge spins to see if I can break it or rather how well it will hold up and so far so good.
I wonder what the effect will be if I rewind with better wire?

Terry
Nov 15, 2010, 09:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by straightedge_
8 Amps less?! Over 7 minutes that's 1000 mAh wasted. Good find, lol.
I know. I was consuming a bit over 4000mA for a 6 1/2 min flight before bearing change. The two flights I did yesterday on the same setup consumed 2800+ mA.
Looks like I can turn my timer up to 8 1/2 min.
The thing is, the stock bearings didn't feel bad when I replaced them. I was curious and that was what prompted me to change (that and a rear bearing failure on a similar motor after just 100+ flights).
Turnigy could turn this into a kick a$$ motor if they would just pay attention to the details and sell it for $80 which would still be $160 less than the competition.

Terry
Nov 15, 2010, 12:08 PM
Fly Extreme!!
Terry,

That's awesome you were able to get that much improvement.

If the bearings made that much difference I bet prop and spinner balance would make a noticeable difference also.
Nov 15, 2010, 04:36 PM
chuchuf

im running the turnigy 50-65 350kv (gold version) and it actually makes way more power than the sqorpion i just bought.
but i still want more power.
im currently running the turnigy 350 kv with a zoar 20x8 and making 1703 watts and 14.4 lbs of thrust. (flightmax 6S 25C 5000)
i really want to try the black SK 380 kv version but every single review says there throwing magnets within the first 1-3 flights.

PS got a link to what bearings to order?
Last edited by STANG KILLA SS; Nov 15, 2010 at 04:41 PM.
Nov 17, 2010, 03:53 AM
Ok ... this is the 3rd flight so far in this video....

The more i fly it the more i like it .....

Scropion 4035-380kv apc 20x8 6s tunigy 4000 30c .

Forgot to arm the timer .... at the end of the flight ...hard landing --- no more juice from the battery !!!

Too much fun with this Extra ... !!!

EXTREME FLIGHT EXTRA 70IN (4 min 35 sec)
Nov 17, 2010, 06:40 AM
And another one .....

EXTREME -FLIGHT 70in EXTRA300 (7 min 8 sec)
Nov 17, 2010, 12:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS
chuchuf

im running the turnigy 50-65 350kv (gold version) and it actually makes way more power than the sqorpion i just bought.
but i still want more power.
im currently running the turnigy 350 kv with a zoar 20x8 and making 1703 watts and 14.4 lbs of thrust. (flightmax 6S 25C 5000)
i really want to try the black SK 380 kv version but every single review says there throwing magnets within the first 1-3 flights.

PS got a link to what bearings to order?
The bearing size in mine (SK 50-65 380 or any of the other SK 50-65's) is two front bearings that are 8 x 12 x 3.5mm, and one rear which is 8 x 16 x 5mm,
I used these semi's http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...STRK:MEWNX:IT\
and
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT
I don't know what they put in your gold motor so I would check before ordering.

I see he has gone up in shipping costs but if you contact helirus he will combine shipping. This is enough to do 2 motors

The kind of 6S batteries I have found make a huge difference as well. Chris had a 45C battery at the field last week that I tried and I think I got another 200KV (maybe more?) and even more thrust over mine and other 25C's I have tried. My next batteries for this plane will be Turnigy Nano's 45C 5000.

They did have a problem with the magnets coming loose on the earlier motors which weren't glued in properly. You can tell by looking at the space between the magnets and if you see that the black glue extends about 1/2 way down between the magnets it good. If the glue is just on the top you definately want to add more glue. I think that the Loctite 410 glue GoBrushless sells http://www.gobrushless.com/shop/inde...ref=LOCTITE410 put between the magnets would work well.

What is interesting about this magnet deal is the first two motors I ordered from them had perfect glue, a friends as well. But the latest motor I got it was missing. I think it's hit or miss as they deplete old stock. But it is easily fixed.

Did the rewind on one of my SK 50-65's the other night with microDans wire from GoBrushless and it finally went well. Getting the same current and watts as the stock motor when I compared without a prop on. I'll check at the field with the prop. This was my 4th and final attempt at a rewind. His wire really helps as the insulation is very tough. First two I used just standard magnetic wire and had shorts to the stator (the stator was in bad shape because I didn't take care when removing the old wire and tore up come of the green coating). The next one I lost track of what I was doing on the wind and just took it apart (you REALLY have to pay attention when winding and NOT watching TV while doing it......lol). The wind saw 2 strands of 21AGW 6 turns which is the same as the 380 motor. 7 turns if you want a 320 and 8 turns if you want a 270 (which is an explosive 8S setup, just sick power). BTW 21AGW will fits with 2 strands for a 7 or 8 turn motor, but it is dense with copper and at 8 turns very hard to wind!!

I like the 6S setup the best so far and will be sticking with that for a while or until I figure out something else to futz with......lol.

Terry
Nov 17, 2010, 01:26 PM
Fly Low or you'll never know!
Quote:
Originally Posted by huison2005
Ok ... this is the 3rd flight so far in this video....

The more i fly it the more i like it .....

Scropion 4035-380kv apc 20x8 6s tunigy 4000 30c .

Forgot to arm the timer .... at the end of the flight ...hard landing --- no more juice from the battery !!!

Too much fun with this Extra ... !!!

Nice flying bud! Like the power system you went with.

Cory
Nov 17, 2010, 03:18 PM
click here
Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS
got a link to what bearings to order?
I found www.bocabearings.com has a "dimension search" where if you select application = "rc brushless motor" and enter 8x12x3.5mm you'll get 4 choices ranging from cheap stainless to #5 and even #7 ceramic. Kind of expensive to go with #7 but if it makes such a difference it's likely worth it.
Nov 17, 2010, 03:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by straightedge_
I found www.bocabearings.com has a "dimension search" where if you select application = "rc brushless motor" and enter 8x12x3.5mm you'll get 4 choices ranging from cheap stainless to #5 and even #7 ceramic. Kind of expensive to go with #7 but if it makes such a difference it's likely worth it.
Yes I provided the info to Boca on the bearing sizes for that engine as well as a few others.
On bearings that are rated by an ABEC number. The higher the number the better the bearing. The bearings they are putting in the Turnigy motor are not rated and come from Thiland. I would think that putting an ABEC 3 or 5 SS bearing would be better than what they have.
I was gonna go that route till I discovered the semi Ceramics that helirus sells for a great price and I have documented the results. Am I getting those results because they are semi Ceramics?? or is it they are just a better bearing that the crap that Turnigy is using?

Terry
Last edited by Chuchuf; Nov 17, 2010 at 03:53 PM.

Quick Reply