Sep 30, 2010, 04:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC4x4
Just wanted to let everyone know the build is done.
What a beautiful plane. I will get an AUW before I fly it and put the watt meter to it. Updates to come.

Here's the spec's:

Scorpion 4035/380kv motor
Castle Ice 100 speed control
Castle ccbec (small blue one)
Hitec HS985mg servos - ailerons and rudder
Hitec HS5645 digital servos on elevators
SWB servo arms
Great planes 3'' aluminum backplate spinner
APC 20X8 prop / will also try a Xoar 20x10 wood prop
Batteries - FlightMax, Hyperion, Thunder Power will be used
All stock hardware used

Cory
It looks good .. I was worried about spinner because in Slovakia I canīt found blue spinner in this size.... with white it looks nice
to remove ads between posts
Sep 30, 2010, 04:49 PM
Carboweave, Ask For It By Name
Can anyone who has flown this plane for a while tell me how much rudder they are using (and actually applying ) on high rate.
I'm having some problems getting the high rate rudder correct for high alphs knife edge. I always feel like I have to much rudder and the plane wants to snap out. Aloso to much rudder seems to cause KE spins to want to fly out.
On low rate I set up the rudder so that entering a level knife edge I use full low rate rudder to hold the knife edge level. That is to my liking.

Thanks,

Terry
Sep 30, 2010, 05:11 PM
Team Extreme! Team Twisted!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuchuf
Can anyone who has flown this plane for a while tell me how much rudder they are using (and actually applying ) on high rate.
I'm having some problems getting the high rate rudder correct for high alphs knife edge. I always feel like I have to much rudder and the plane wants to snap out. Aloso to much rudder seems to cause KE spins to want to fly out.
On low rate I set up the rudder so that entering a level knife edge I use full low rate rudder to hold the knife edge level. That is to my liking.

Thanks,

Terry
I do not use rates when flying and have my rudder stop to stop with lots of expo. I can tell you that with the SFGs you do not need that much rudder for KE or even high alpha KE but with spins you CAN use all she can give you even though you may not necessarily NEED all of that throw to accomplish the maneuver.

With this airplane I found that if it wont stay in the KE spin you can either reduce the rudder with the stick or get the bank angle just perfect with the ailerons. If you get the wings straight up and down you can use all the rudder for a nice axial KE spin.

I have also found on this plane in particular that the bigger the prop the harder it is to get the KE spin started. However, in all cases 6,7,8S on 17,18,21" props I have been able to execute the maneuver by working on the ailerons.
Sep 30, 2010, 05:39 PM
Fly Low or you'll never know!
Deflections setup for now:

Ailerons:
Low 20 degrees
High 35 degrees may go higher

Elevator:
Low 15 degrees
High 50 degrees

Rudder:
Low 20 degrees
High 45 degrees

Cory
Sep 30, 2010, 10:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hercdriver7777
Zisko, I wouldn't worry about this too much. It's not that critical at all IMO.
Thank you - I tightened up the wires a little more and now it is almost fine.
Sep 30, 2010, 11:17 PM
Team Extreme!
Thank you for the information Glenn. It is the smallest of changes but somtimes things like that can make a huge diffrence!
Oct 01, 2010, 01:39 AM
Guerilla Huck Power..activate!
Quote:
Deflections setup for now:

Ailerons:
Low 20 degrees
High 35 degrees may go higher

Elevator:
Low 15 degrees
High 50 degrees

Rudder:
Low 20 degrees
High 45 degrees

Cory
Cory, what do you think about that 5645 on the elevator? Do you think the speed compares with something like a 7955? I have a Turnigy 620 digi on the elevator of my 70" Slick and it is just too slow. A buddy has the 7955 on a similar Extra and it seems way faster. Just wondering if the 5645 would be a good compromise in price. Thanks.
Oct 01, 2010, 08:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by smelyal8r
Cory, what do you think about that 5645 on the elevator? Do you think the speed compares with something like a 7955? I have a Turnigy 620 digi on the elevator of my 70" Slick and it is just too slow. A buddy has the 7955 on a similar Extra and it seems way faster. Just wondering if the 5645 would be a good compromise in price. Thanks.

Sorry, goofed on the elevator servo number. Don't know what happened there. They are HS5245mg's not HS5645mg's. The elevator pockets take mini servos, not standard.

Cory
Oct 01, 2010, 08:58 AM

Maiden was a success!!

I put my buddies Extra up as promised lastnight. It flies pretty much like my 78'' Extra. The 78'' does maybe feel a little more floaty because of the size,
but it does track just as good as the 78''. I really enjoyed flying this one lastnight and put 3 flights on it before the sun was going down. It took one
click of down and one click of right. The power system my buddy Glenn put in it is perfect. Glenn (attackduck) knows his Scorpions pretty darn good. The Extra is really sleek and penetrates very well. 6s provides plenty of power and punchout from a hover is great! I did two 5 minute mixed flights and had 34-40% left in the packs. These were Hyperion 6s 25c 5000's. Put my new 45c 6s 5000 Thunder Power in, and this pack gave a little more punch.
I did a 7 minute mixed flight with the TP pack and had 32% left in the pack.
I'm gonna fly it some more this weekend and report back, and will try and do a video as well. Pictures to follow as well.

The rollers are amazing with the 70'' and 78'' 300's. High Alpha KE's are awesome. You can use this guy for Imac practice as well.
If your looking for a really good quality arf, and an awesome flying plane in this size, this is the one.

Great job again Extreme Flight!!!

Weighs: 7lbs 15 ounces dry.
Hyperion pack weighs 26 ounces
Thunder Power weighs 28 ounces

AUW 9lbs 9ounces

Cory
Oct 01, 2010, 09:35 AM
Guerilla Huck Power..activate!
Quote:
Sorry, goofed on the elevator servo number. Don't know what happened there. They are HS5245mg's not HS5645mg's. The elevator pockets take mini servos, not standard.

Cory
Ah ok, that's cool. Sounds like a great setup. Beautiful plane (except for the Broncos colors)
Oct 01, 2010, 10:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by smelyal8r
Ah ok, that's cool. Sounds like a great setup. Beautiful plane (except for the Broncos colors)
The colors do remind you of the Broncos. My oldest daughter said, who's Bronco plane! I told her to write, Go Broncos on it with some washable markers.
She said, ok! Just kidding, I said.

Cory
Oct 01, 2010, 02:55 PM
My extra is ready to fly - or possibliy not?
Look at the pictures EF-Quality

No way to fly like this...
Oct 01, 2010, 03:00 PM
Quote:
I put my buddies Extra up as promised lastnight. It flies pretty much like my 78'' Extra. The 78'' does maybe feel a little more floaty because of the size,
but it does track just as good as the 78''. I really enjoyed flying this one lastnight and put 3 flights on it before the sun was going down. It took one
click of down and one click of right. The power system my buddy Glenn put in it is perfect. Glenn (attackduck) knows his Scorpions pretty darn good. The Extra is really sleek and penetrates very well. 6s provides plenty of power and punchout from a hover is great! I did two 5 minute mixed flights and had 34-40% left in the packs. These were Hyperion 6s 25c 5000's. Put my new 45c 6s 5000 Thunder Power in, and this pack gave a little more punch.
I did a 7 minute mixed flight with the TP pack and had 32% left in the pack.
I'm gonna fly it some more this weekend and report back, and will try and do a video as well. Pictures to follow as well.

The rollers are amazing with the 70'' and 78'' 300's. High Alpha KE's are awesome. You can use this guy for Imac practice as well.
If your looking for a really good quality arf, and an awesome flying plane in this size, this is the one.

Great job again Extreme Flight!!!

Weighs: 7lbs 15 ounces dry.
Hyperion pack weighs 26 ounces
Thunder Power weighs 28 ounces

AUW 9lbs 9ounces

Cory
hmm... it looks good .... I still choose between 70 and 78... Every day I decided for another ... it a hard chose... On the one hand 78 will fly better and looks better but fit to car with big problems..
Oct 01, 2010, 03:03 PM
Team Extreme! Team Twisted!
Thread OP
Zisko, I understand your frustration but call EF and they will get your problem solved ASAP.
Oct 01, 2010, 03:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hercdriver7777
Zisko, I understand your frustration but call EF and they will get your problem solved ASAP.
I wrote an email to my dealer - let's see what comes out.

Quick Reply