Thread Tools
Jul 13, 2010, 06:15 AM
Triple boxed goodness!
simon737's Avatar
I agree with Tim on this kind of setup, I was running a very similar 68" setup but with the HS7985MG's the digital 985's I was running those off the internal ICE100's BEC and i did suffer a brown out on Spektrum during a manoeuvre that involved all control surfaces.

I decided to go with a Western Robotics Super Hercules which is a 10A constant BEC and so far no problems. The other thing if you are using the ESC's internal BEC is to ensure there is no binding on surfaces as this can draw a large amount of current causing issues.

IMO go with an external BEC with digitals, use the internal BEC provided no binding on analogs.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Jul 13, 2010, 07:11 AM
Test your skills....fly IMAC!!
sun.flyer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon737
IMHO go with an external BEC with digitals, use the internal BEC provided no binding on analogs.
Well said Simon!!

Tim
Jul 13, 2010, 11:45 AM
Team Extreme! Team Twisted!
hercdriver7777's Avatar
I know that many of us have had problems with the internal BEC in ICE controllers and Chris Hinson specifically told me on this plane to use a separate BEC or battery to power the RX.

Initially I ran CC UBEC off of the main flight batteries and that worked well until that Scorpion motor failed. When that happened, even though the ESC BEC was disabled, I lost control if the servos every time I tried to restart the motor in the air before I landed. The big voltage drop from trying to turn a shorted out motor or some sort of queertrons associated with that sent the UBEC nuts. It was a near disaster.

Now, I am back to what I used to believe, which is on high power setups to run your RX and Prop from two different separated power supplies.
Jul 13, 2010, 12:07 PM
Registered User
Aio_1's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by hercdriver7777
....Now, I am back to what I used to believe, which is on high power setups to run your RX and Prop from two different separated power supplies.
Another benefit of this is that it's safer to do any tranmitter changes like model selection or programming changes without risk of the motor starting unexpectedly. You can just power up the RX with the main battery unplugged.

Chris, can you cast any light on whether the 70" & 78" Extra are essentially the same design aside from the different size? I'm trying to decide between them and wondering if there's anything else I should consider besides cost and size..... like if one's optimised more for 3D and one more for precision, etc....

Thanks

Aidan
Jul 13, 2010, 12:15 PM
EXTREME FLIGHT's Avatar
Aidan, the 78 inch Extra is IMAC legal, the 70 inch is based on the 48" EXP (Experimental Progressive) and has the forward placed canopy. While both fly 3D and precision very well, I'd say the 78 is more optimized for precision and the 70 more for 3D.
Jul 13, 2010, 12:34 PM
click here
straightedge_'s Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by hercdriver7777
...Initially I ran CC UBEC off of the main flight batteries and that worked well until that Scorpion motor failed. When that happened, even though the ESC BEC was disabled, I lost control if the servos every time I tried to restart the motor in the air before I landed. The big voltage drop from trying to turn a shorted out motor or some sort of queertrons associated with that sent the UBEC nuts. It was a near disaster.

Now, I am back to what I used to believe, which is on high power setups to run your RX and Prop from two different separated power supplies.
Holy cow! Thanks for the tip.
Jul 13, 2010, 12:48 PM
Fly Low or you'll never know!
RC4x4's Avatar
I use a Castle cc bec pro with a 2s 1300 lipo on all my 65-78'' planes.
cc bec pro is set at 6 volts.
I don't trust the internal bec at all. It's just a piece of mind for me.


Cory
Jul 13, 2010, 03:29 PM
Test your skills....fly IMAC!!
sun.flyer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by hercdriver7777
I know that many of us have had problems with the internal BEC in ICE controllers and Chris Hinson specifically told me on this plane to use a separate BEC or battery to power the RX.

Initially I ran CC UBEC off of the main flight batteries and that worked well until that Scorpion motor failed. When that happened, even though the ESC BEC was disabled, I lost control if the servos every time I tried to restart the motor in the air before I landed. The big voltage drop from trying to turn a shorted out motor or some sort of queertrons associated with that sent the UBEC nuts. It was a near disaster.

Now, I am back to what I used to believe, which is on high power setups to run your RX and Prop from two different separated power supplies.

Chris,

What servos were you running in this application? Digital or analog?

Thanks!

Tim
Jul 13, 2010, 04:11 PM
Team Extreme! Team Twisted!
hercdriver7777's Avatar
Hey Tim,

My setup is:

2 HS 5245 on Elevator
3 HS 7985 everywhere else
AXI 5320/18 (started with Scorpion but changed to AXI)
Ice 100 ESC
Castle Ulitmate BEC with TP1350 2S
Hyperion 4200, Flightmax 5000 and the new PowerEdge 5000 batteries from RCAccessory.com.
Jul 13, 2010, 04:18 PM
Test your skills....fly IMAC!!
sun.flyer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by hercdriver7777
Hey Tim,

My setup is:

2 HS 5245 on Elevator
3 HS 7985 everywhere else
AXI 5320/18 (started with Scorpion but changed to AXI)
Ice 100 ESC
Castle Ulitmate BEC with TP1350 2S
Hyperion 4200, Flightmax 5000 and the new PowerEdge 5000 batteries from RCAccessory.com.
Copy, thank you sir!!

Looking forward to seeing your next video!

Tim
Jul 13, 2010, 04:53 PM
Fly Low or you'll never know!
RC4x4's Avatar
Any of you have trouble with the HS-5245's centering properly?
I heard of some people have trouble with them.


Cory
Jul 13, 2010, 04:58 PM
Team Extreme! Team Twisted!
hercdriver7777's Avatar
5245s are working great for me.
Jul 13, 2010, 07:07 PM
Guerilla Huck Power..activate!
smelyal8r's Avatar
So...why run both a separate BEC and battery to power the servos....redundancy? If the flight pack dies will the external bec take over running the servos?
Jul 13, 2010, 07:34 PM
12th Man
cryhavoc38's Avatar
For my piece of mind, I always run a separate UBEC for any plane 57 and larger.

for my 57-60" stuff, I typically use a hobbywing switchmode UBEC powered directly from the main flight pack.

Anything mid 60's to low 70's gets a ccbec pro powered off a 2s 1600.

For my 89" plane, I go with a ccbec pro and a 2s 2200 pack since its running 5 HS7955TG's
Jul 13, 2010, 07:44 PM
Guerilla Huck Power..activate!
smelyal8r's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryhavoc38
For my piece of mind, I always run a separate UBEC for any plane 57 and larger.

for my 57-60" stuff, I typically use a hobbywing switchmode UBEC powered directly from the main flight pack.

Anything mid 60's to low 70's gets a ccbec pro powered off a 2s 1600.

For my 89" plane, I go with a ccbec pro and a 2s 2200 pack since its running 5 HS7955TG's
So in your 70" planes are you just using the ccbec pro as a regulator for the 2s 1600 flight pack?


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion EXTREME FLIGHT 48" Extra 300 EXP. VIDEO ADDED! hemituda 3D Flying 10085 Jun 15, 2017 04:21 PM
Discussion Extreme Flight RC 48" Extra 300 EXP Build mxcop 3D Flying 404 Apr 14, 2015 08:07 PM
Discussion Extreme Flight 70" Extra 300 EXP!?!?!? Safety Hawk 3D Flying 104 Sep 10, 2012 11:33 AM
Sold NEW IN BOX Extreme Flight Extra 300 EXP ARF 48" red - will ship xraydoc Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 6 Jan 16, 2010 08:55 PM
Video Extreme Flight RC Extra 300 EXP 48" Teaser video! Jvdo Electric Plane Talk 6 Oct 21, 2009 02:48 PM